• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TOPs Birdie Bread

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Has anyone tried this yet? I know it's relatively new, but I'm almost out and saw it when I was checking prices for my normal bread, Harrison's. I'm also wondering if anyone knows whats in the Mediterranean flavor since I can't seem to find ingredients on any of the flavors anywhere.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ok just bought it and have not baked it yet. I was amazed at how much is in the bag. Has great ingredients. If it turn out i will post a photo. Not going to make it for a while yet.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Ok just bought it and have not baked it yet. I was amazed at how much is in the bag. Has great ingredients. If it turn out i will post a photo. Not going to make it for a while yet.
Did you happen to get the Mediterranean flavor? I was just wondering what the main fruits/veggies/nuts were in it. If I can't find it I might just get another flavor for now, but the Mediterranean peaked my interest.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I emailed and already got a response (wow!). This is what they told me, for anyone else interested! :)

Screenshot_20180517-225433_Gmail.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thanks for the heads up, I will have to get some.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I ended up ordering the blueberry flavor since my guys aren't huge fans of beans. I'm excited to try it since it has a different prep method. Slade gets really picky over the bread once I put it in the freezer so I'm hoping this stays a little more bread like when it come back out. Plus, 2 servings rather then one in a bag is awesome.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
All the ingredients are the same as the premium birdie bread mix with added items as follows:

Blueberries in the Blueberry Burst blend

Peas and carrots in the Peas nd Carrots blend

Cayenne pepper in the Cajun blend

Red pepper and garbanzo beans in the Mediterranean blend

The Premium blend has the following ingredients:
Ingredients: Organic hulled millet, ecologically sustainable alfalfa, organic barley, ecologically sustainable rice, organic sunflower seed hulled, organic sesame seeds unhulled, organic quinoa whole, organic buckwheat hulled, organic dandelion leaf powder, organic carrot powder, organic spinach leaf powder, organic purple dulse, kelp, organic rose hips powder, organic rose hips crushed, organic orange peel powder, organic lemon peel powder, organic rosemary whole leaf, organic cayenne ground, organic crushed red chili peppers, organic nettle leaf.

Guaranteed Analysis: Protein min 13%, Crude Fiber min 12%, Fat min 7%.

Pellet Processing: Designed by avian nutritionists to be the best diet on the market today. TOP pellets are cold-pressed (not extruded or baked) to keep natural enzymes, vitamins, and other nutrients intact.

Storage: Store in a cool, dry place, free from insect infestation. Refrigeration is not required. Pellets can be frozen to extend shelf life. Once opened, please reseal in original or similar container.

Ingredient Highlights

BROWN RICE: Is a nutritious, wholesome staple food containing a sizable quantity of minerals. Its 8 amino acids are so proportionately balanced that it has the highest protein digestibility among staple foods.

SUNFLOWER SEEDS: One, if not the most, nutritious and healthy foods to be found in the dried fruits sector. They have a high content of healthy unsaturated fatty acids, contain important nutrients like vitamin E, selenium, copper, zinc, folate, iron and phytochemicals, plus are a rich source of proteins and fibers.

ALFALFA LEAVES: Loaded with health-building properties. Their contents are not only balanced for complete absorption, but they help assimilate protein, calcium and other nutrients.

SESAME SEEDS: Loaded with minerals, especially high in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, and are so high in vitamin E that its oil or meal is often used as a preservative. Contains all amino and essential fatty acids known today.

QUINOA: A perfectly balanced ratio of amino acids and is rich in vitamins, minerals and trace elements. 4.3% of those are Alpha – Linol acid, an essential fatty acid which is, otherwise, only found in fish

MILLET: A complete food, rich in minerals (especially calcium) and vitamins, particularly lecithin, which is important for the formation of healthy feathers.

DANDELION LEAVES: A rich source of beta carotene, vitamins D, B complex and C. They have a very high potassium content, as well as numerous other minerals, like the bone, nail and feather-strengthening minerals calcium, boron and silicon. Dandelion leaves are good for a sluggish liver, to remove toxins from the liver and gall bladder and to help cleanse the blood.

CARROT POWDER: One of the top rated vegetables, providing protein, calcium, iron, and the vitamins A, C, and B, the phytochemicals alpha carotene, p-coumaric, clorogenic acids and the carotene complex.

NETTLE LEAVES: Helps the blood break down proteins, making it a natural kidney and adrenal cleaner.

SPINACH LEAF POWDER: An excellent source of beta carotene, vitamins C, E and K, calcium, potassium, iron, sodium, sulphur, folic acid and oxalic acid. They contain more protein and chlorophyll than most vegetables.

PURPLE DULSE: A sea vegetable that is a natural source of essential minerals, especially iodine, vitamins, ions, sea salt and roughage.

ROSE HIPS: Contain an extremely high amount of natural vitamin C, and are, therefore, a great antioxidant and strengthener of the immune system. They are also very rich in beta carotene, vitamin B-complex, E and rutin.

ROSEMARY: A stimulant for the circulatory system and strengthen the nervous system. Used as a heart tonic, for respiratory ailments, gout and rheumatic pains.

CAYENNE AND RED CHILI PEPPERS: High in vitamin A, C, iron, calcium and contain vitamin G, B-complex, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, and sulphur. It is a harmless internal disinfectant, increases the effect of other herbs, cleanses the blood, wards off and equalizes blood circulation, increases heart action but not blood pressure, and helps prevent strokes and heart attacks.

Soy, Peanuts and Wheat

Here's why TOP's Parrot Food pellets do not contain soy, peanuts or wheat:

SOY BEANS
Soy beans in their natural state contain large quantities of natural toxins and there is data that soy is cumulatively toxic when fed to animals. For example, The PARROT SOCIETY NEW ZEALAND claims that soy products in bird food have caused such problems as immune system breakdown, failure of organs and multiplication of the birds’ own benign bacteria.

PEANUTS
It seems that more and more birds develop allergic reactions to peanuts, so we view them as a great treat for birds that are not allergic to them, but not part of their daily diet.

WHEAT
Wheat is a common allergen and contains about 80 different components that can cause a negative reaction.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I did purchase the Mediterranean Mix on Amazon. It was less money than the Mommas Mix I usually purchase. Since I no longer feed my birds any corn I like the TOPS Mix because I do not see corn on the list. Before I had to hand pick out all the corn from Mommas Mix, no matter which one it was. I tried to find the weight of both bread mixes and could not see it listed for Mommas but TOPS is 1.35 pounds. For comparisons sake the Mommas listed ingredients are: INGREDIENTS: ORGANIC POLENTA, ORGANIC WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ORGANIC CORN, ORGANIC CARROTS, SWEET POTATO, BLUEBERRIES, CHERRIES, COCONUT, ORGANIC MILLET, FLAX SEED, ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT GROATS, ORGANIC QUINOA

Looks like the list has more fillers than TOPS does.

Last edited:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I'm hoping they like it, cause if they do I'm going to pick up the bundle of all 4 flavors from their site. I also ordered mine from Amazon. I usually do Harrison's bread but I wanted to try another brand and was looking at Momma's and saw this was double the amount for about the same price or less. Slade is really the only picky one so I think he'll be the determining factor.