• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tongue

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Sounds like candida. AGY is only seen in swabs.
When I looked it up it said that it can be a sign. I saw a picture (I think it was an Amazon) with similar blotches.

Is Iris a baby?
We were told about 2 years.

What is his diet?
At the moment seed and chop. He came on an all seed diet so I wanted to add in fresh stuff, then I have recently started adding pellets, but no interest as if yet.

Sending good thoughts.
I hope you get his tongue sorted out soon.
Thank you guys!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I found this.

"Which birds are at risk for candidiasis?
Candidiasis is most common in young birds, especially cockatiels. It is also more common in birds with suppressed immune systems. Factors that may increase the risk of a bird having candidiasis include:

Delayed crop emptying

Prolonged antibiotic use

Poor sanitation

Vitamin A deficiency

Malnutrition (seed only diets)

Presence of other infections such as poxvirus or Trichomonas

Presence of other health problems such as trauma or smoke inhalation

Stress, brought on by the shipping process or by being moved"

When Iris came to me, both of the ones in bold were present.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I found this.

"Which birds are at risk for candidiasis?
Candidiasis is most common in young birds, especially cockatiels. It is also more common in birds with suppressed immune systems. Factors that may increase the risk of a bird having candidiasis include:

Delayed crop emptying

Prolonged antibiotic use

Poor sanitation

Vitamin A deficiency

Presence of other infections such as poxvirus or Trichomonas

Presence of other health problems such as trauma or smoke inhalation

Stress, brought on by the shipping process or by being moved"

I'm guessing it can't go from bird to bird?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor sanitation

Vitamin A deficiency

Presence of other health problems such as trauma or
Given the diet of seeds a Vitamin A deficiency is highly likely.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Given the diet of seeds a Vitamin A deficiency is highly likely.
I am planning to make some nutriberries today, and will add in more pellets than the recipe says. I think it would be a good way to get him eating healthier as he'll think it is a ball of seed. I am trying to get him on the best diet I can, but getting him to cooperate in not throwing it all over the floor is proving difficult.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am trying to get him on the best diet I can, but getting him to cooperate in not throwing it all over the floor is proving difficult.
Try limiting the seed portion of his diet to dinner time only. He can munch on pellets and chop and forage on large pieces of veggies hung in the cage during the day. It’s natural for food to go overboard especially with a diet transition.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Not in regards to vets yet, I haven't had a chance as I have been all over the place this morning.

He's sat on the bottom of his cage in the corner. He's eating fine and was active whilst out this morning.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am planning to make some nutriberries today, and will add in more pellets than the recipe says. I think it would be a good way to get him eating healthier as he'll think it is a ball of seed. I am trying to get him on the best diet I can, but getting him to cooperate in not throwing it all over the floor is proving difficult.
Are you able to purchase Nutriberries? If so, it may be a good idea for Iris to get the balanced nutrition they offer.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Try limiting the seed portion of his diet to dinner time only. He can munch on pellets and chop and forage on large pieces of veggies hung in the cage during the day. It’s natural for food to go overboard especially with a diet transition.
Recently I did this in reverse in an attempt to increase pellet intake: did seed/pellet etc. during day (their usual) and then pellet only during the evening. The first evening they looked in one dish, then the next dish, then looked at me like "what's this??" and finally they succumbed, even Mylo who to my knowledge has not eaten pellets before coming to me. So far it's been a couple weeks and I see them nibbling on pellets during the day now sometimes. Not a lot, but more than they used to. They have maintained their weights. At some point I may swap it to what @Karen has suggested, pellets et al. during the day, and offer the seed portion only in the evening.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Iris? Were you able to get a vet appointment for him?
How is Iris? May we have an update? Was the vet able to determine whether this is a Vitamin A deficiency or Candida or something else? Given the seed diet did your vet do a vitamin shot to help him?

At some point I may swap it to what @Karen has suggested, pellets et al. during the day, and offer the seed portion only in the evening.
You'll have to see how that goes. I've always read that you want to offer the fattier portion of their diet in the evening so it keeps them full until the morning.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hi Karen. Sorry, I must have missed the other notifications.

I am actually waiting to hear back from the vet. I will update as soon as I know. He is getting better with his food tok, I have giving him the pellets in the morning, and he seems to eat a reasonable am out of them, along with his fresh chop. I have them been giving seed in the late afternoon.

Thank you for your concern, and sorry I missed the earlier notifications.

Ali

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Isla came to me on seeds as well, nutriberries are a god send. Good luck with everything, you guys are in my prayers!