• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To those who still hesitate to convert..

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Joined
5/30/20
Messages
342
Location
Dubai, UAE
Real Name
Gaukharay
First picture: Walad in December 2019 when I got her, she was about 3 years old, seed only diet her whole life.

Second picture: Walad in July 2020, 90% pellets diet, the other 10% is seeds and occasional fruits. She still refuses to eat most fruits and all vegetables, trying to work it through.

But I think there’s a significant difference, her plumage changed, from barely noticeable pale orange cheeks to bright red cheeks and shiny, healthy feathers overall. If there’s been such an improvement in feather condition, then we can only imagine what improvements are there overall with her health? :D

I’m a big advocate for pelleted diet. Even if you’re busy/whatever to provide fresh food, the least we can do is to provide a balanced dry food :) E5CA7F59-2387-4808-9896-DC7A0506C0D0.jpeg BF245A1A-17D1-45CD-ADFE-549486CA8D7D.jpeg
 

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Joined
2/26/20
Messages
1,900
First picture: Walad in December 2019 when I got her, she was about 3 years old, seed only diet her whole life.

Second picture: Walad in July 2020, 90% pellets diet, the other 10% is seeds and occasional fruits. She still refuses to eat most fruits and all vegetables, trying to work it through.

But I think there’s a significant difference, her plumage changed, from barely noticeable pale orange cheeks to bright red cheeks and shiny, healthy feathers overall. If there’s been such an improvement in feather condition, then we can only imagine what improvements are there overall with her health? :D

I’m a big advocate for pelleted diet. Even if you’re busy/whatever to provide fresh food, the least we can do is to provide a balanced dry food :) View attachment 347556 View attachment 347557
Pikachu evolved.
 

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Joined
4/8/20
Messages
114
Location
Netherlands
Real Name
Suzan
Wow! That really is amazing! :heart:
Please share you're how (if you want) as in this house, it's not me who's hesitant to converting to pellets but the Misses herself :wtf:
Been on it for 6 months...and still no result (well, she keeps 'em in her beak for 2 sec and then spits 'em out...maybe this is step 1??? Hahaha)
 

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Joined
12/23/16
Messages
520
Location
Central Washington state
Real Name
Rebecca
I agree. I've also noticed a change in plumage after converting to pellets...brighter colors, shiney, healthy, and smell like the bird (not the food....when I got my caiques, the food they were on made them smell yucky!). Way to go!!
 

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Joined
9/15/14
Messages
20,173
Location
Quincy,CA
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, that’s a huge difference! She looks great!
 

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Joined
5/30/20
Messages
342
Location
Dubai, UAE
Real Name
Gaukharay
Wow! That really is amazing! :heart:
Please share you're how (if you want) as in this house, it's not me who's hesitant to converting to pellets but the Misses herself :wtf:
Been on it for 6 months...and still no result (well, she keeps 'em in her beak for 2 sec and then spits 'em out...maybe this is step 1??? Hahaha)
To be very honest I didn’t struggle with both Walad and Momo. They just started eating it when I offered, I guess I’m lucky :D Zazu has been on Harrison’s baby formula and then the pellets, so he doesn’t know the diet could be seed only (although he loves the seeds now)
Have you tried offering Zupreem fruity blend?
 

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Joined
4/8/20
Messages
114
Location
Netherlands
Real Name
Suzan
That's great to have them on pellets straight away!

I got her when she was 7 months old, lived elsewhere first and I started immediately offering pellets. I've tried Zupreem Fruity Blend as I've heard only success stories on those but alas... Same goes for Nutribird and Harrison's.

It almost appears like she isn't keen on the structure of pellets, when she takes one in her beak I see her tapping her tongue against it , a small crunch and then it ends on the floor. Already 4 bags of pellets ended up in the bin, mostly untouched.

I keep on offering hoping that 1 bright and beautiful day, she'll accept them :cool4:
 
Last edited:

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Joined
1/6/15
Messages
2,157
Real Name
Chantal
This is why I so badly want to find the pellet they will eat. I have bags of food in my freezer, because they won't eat them. Then I buy something else and it doesn't get eaten. I keep trying though.
 

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Joined
4/8/20
Messages
114
Location
Netherlands
Real Name
Suzan
Right?! I'm also looking for the "aha"- brand....
The stuff is expensive enough as it is (and it's not about the money!) but in general I'm just not a big fan of throwing food away :unsure1: whether it's ours or hers.
 

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Joined
5/30/20
Messages
342
Location
Dubai, UAE
Real Name
Gaukharay
I dont really like The fruity Zupreem cause it has tons of sugar but the Zupreem Naturals are pretty good.
They’re not the best choice long-term, but birds tend to like it more, so it could help with the conversion :D I give them fruity blend from time to time only, so they wouldn’t get bored and refuse to eat pellets at all. On a regular basis they eat Harrison’s
 

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Joined
5/30/20
Messages
342
Location
Dubai, UAE
Real Name
Gaukharay
That's great to have them on pellets straight away!

I got her when she was 7 months old, lived elsewhere first and I started immediately offering pellets. I've tried Zupreem Fruity Blend as I've heard only success stories on those but alas... Same goes for Nutribird and Harrison's.

It almost appears like she isn't keen on the structure of pellets, when she takes one in her beak I see her tapping her tongue against it , a small crunch and then it ends on the floor. Already 4 bags of pellets ended up in the bin, mostly untouched.

I keep on offering hoping that 1 bright and beautiful day, she'll accept them :cool4:
I’ve heard that some people soak pellets in water and mix the “mash” with a little bit of seeds. So to get the seeds your bird will have to eat the mash as well, maybe she will get used to the taste and with time accept eating the dry pellets :)
That’s actually how I weaned Zazu: I kept feeding him soaked pellets and gradually just offered the dry ones. But, he still dips them into the water to make them softer I guess. He’s a professional dipper :D
 

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Joined
4/8/20
Messages
114
Location
Netherlands
Real Name
Suzan
I’ve heard that some people soak pellets in water and mix the “mash” with a little bit of seeds. So to get the seeds your bird will have to eat the mash as well, maybe she will get used to the taste and with time accept eating the dry pellets :)
That’s actually how I weaned Zazu: I kept feeding him soaked pellets and gradually just offered the dry ones. But, he still dips them into the water to make them softer I guess. He’s a professional dipper :D
Oh believe me....I've tried, I also ate them myself (I like Harrison's better over Zupreem but ok) in front of her, put them on a mirror, mixed them with a teeny weeny bit of honey and sunflower seeds, did the 2 hrs just pellets/2 hrs seed scheme...no result :confused:

However! The feeding them soaked I haven't tried yet, gonna try that! Thanks!
Real cute though that he dips 'em in water :lol:
 

Flokirocks

Strolling the yard
Joined
4/8/20
Messages
114
Location
Netherlands
Real Name
Suzan
They’re not the best choice long-term, but birds tend to like it more, so it could help with the conversion :D I give them fruity blend from time to time only, so they wouldn’t get bored and refuse to eat pellets at all. On a regular basis they eat Harrison’s
I've also just chose these as I've heard they're often well accepted when converting. Already decided that IF accepted, they wouldn't last long term
 
Last edited:

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Joined
5/30/20
Messages
342
Location
Dubai, UAE
Real Name
Gaukharay
Oh believe me....I've tried, I also ate them myself (I like Harrison's better over Zupreem but ok) in front of her, put them on a mirror, mixed them with a teeny weeny bit of honey and sunflower seeds, did the 2 hrs just pellets/2 hrs seed scheme...no result :confused:

However! The feeding them soaked I haven't tried yet, gonna try that! Thanks!
Real cute though that he dips 'em in water :lol:
Hahaha, I also tried the pellets, was just curious what’s the taste like...fruity blend tastes okay-ish, and I don’t understand how my birds eat Harrison’s, almost tasteless :hilarious:

yes,it’s really cute when he dips his pellets :D
 

budgiezila

Strolling the yard
Joined
7/5/20
Messages
147
Real Name
Max
Beautiful! Unfortunately my birds refuse to eat pellets.... they accept kale, broccoli, and lettuce from time to time but refuse healthy food. Buttercup even throws the pellets out of the bowl!
 

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Joined
5/30/20
Messages
342
Location
Dubai, UAE
Real Name
Gaukharay
Beautiful! Unfortunately my birds refuse to eat pellets.... they accept kale, broccoli, and lettuce from time to time but refuse healthy food. Buttercup even throws the pellets out of the bowl!
Thank you!
My Galah throws half of the pellets out of the bowl as well :D It’s nice that they eat vegetables, having hard times making my cockatiel eat even a bit of vegetables :(
 
Top