• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiny Bean

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I've been gone for a little while, but there's a good reason for it. I took my sweet little gecko, Icarus, to the vet. After giving him medicine she recommended I feed him waxworms, gut loaded crickets and pinky mice. I found the last suggestion odd, but after that I went to the pet store to abide by the vet's suggestions.
I'd gotten my pinky mouse, assuming it frozen and already dead.... until I opened the bag. A small, baby mouse shuffled around in my hand, very much alive. It was hard, but I gently put the mouse in the cage with Icarus. At first he seemed to notice it as prey. Then, with a very light bite, the mouse squeaked and he lost interest. I tried to coax him into eating but to no avail. So now I was stuck with this tiny little mouse, only two days old.
My mother rushed to the store to get everything he needed (yes it was a he). We got goat's milk, electrolytes and a syringe to feed him with a paintbrush for feeding as well. His home became a little box with a heating pad at the bottom, with shredded paper towel all around to make him feel at home. He seemed very lively, and loved eating from the paintbrush. That first sleepless night was hard, but well worth it. I'd bonded to this baby mouse, and I vowed to care for him. I had to warm up the milk and feed him every two hours around the clock 24/7. I had to massage his stomach in order to help his digestive system work. It was like having a child, exhausting and a ton of work. But honestly, I'd do that and more to bring him back.
I was preparing for his 10:00 P.M feeding when I realized he was laying on his back, motionless. I hurriedly picked him but and realized he wasn't breathing. He'd died. I didn't know why, and all I knew was dred as I tried pumping his chest to get him to breathe. In the end it was futile. I buried him under a tree in my front yard.

This little mouse was my first experience with mothering something. Bonding to a baby you raise, despite for how little time I had with him. The feeling I had when I noticed he'd died was truly painful. Even though my parents said his survival chance from the start was only 25%. My mother called him Tiny, and I called him Bean, so I settled for Tiny Bean. I'll always remember the experience he gave me, keeping his box next to my bed, watching vigilantly until he died. I loved him like a mother loves a child, and I can promise you I've never felt anything so strong as what I felt for Bean. I hope he is resting well, and that his death wasn't painful. He will always be in my heart.

IMG_2759.JPG

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry. It's amazing how the smallest animals can wiggle their in your heart and make a big impression :heart:

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Truly sorry. Your Mom was being generous with her estimate of a 25% chance of success. I've raised several young mice and rabbits...few made it...but, oh glory for the ones who did! They so very much need a mother mouse when they are as young as your Tiny Bean. They just don't get the antibiotics and growth hormones they need without her milk. If you are not set up for the care of such tiny ones, it's extremely difficult. You didn't do anything wrong in your steps to save him. The first time you care for a newborn is an amazing awakening. The first time you lose a newborn you've cared for is one of the hardest things on Earth... and the second time, and the third time. That part never gets easier. But it's always worth the effort. I cared for an older, abused pet rat for the last year of her life several years ago. Losing her was almost as hard as losing Captain Jack (a baby sparrow I found in the parking lot of the pet store I was buying baby bird formula at the day I took in TD). Jack lived only three days. Thank goodness TD made it. I hope your loss of Tiny Bean won't stop you from trying again if the need and opportunity arise. He will always live in your memory and in your heart. How could he not?

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I'm very very sorry for your loss and sorrow. You did so much for the little one. He didn't really have a chance and you did as best as anyone could! We often find baby birds in our yard after heavy winds (we don't get them that often), and they fall out of their nests. Most we can save, we put the birds back to the nearest nest where there are babies (birds will foster babies not their own) or fix their nests and try to get all the little guys back in. Often they don't make it. We have, however, saved many hummingbirds, doves, sparrows and other unidentified birds for a day or so.

Icarius is doing well now. That's wonderful. With your big heart I believe you will save many in your life! :heart::heart: The world needs more like you! :hug9:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so sorry for your loss. It was so great of you to try so hard to help him, and it is wonderful that he knew he was being cared for at the end. At least you can say you did your best for him.
:sadhug2:

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
I hope your loss of Tiny Bean won't stop you from trying again if the need and opportunity arise. He will always live in your memory and in your heart. How could he not?
I'd never pass up the opportunity to take an animal so young that needs help. While it's absolutely exhausting, time consuming, and sometimes frustrating, I'd do it a million more times for the bond I felt with him. While it's painful and excruciating emotionally, it will also be one of my happiest experiences. There is nothing like holding that small life in your hands, giving it all the love and care in the world.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m so sorry that your little Bean didn’t make it. :sadhug: I’m glad that you and your mom took care of him so tenderly until the end. One of the most beautiful things we can ever do as humans is to love and care for another creature unconditionally.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
One of the most beautiful things we can ever do as humans is to love and care for another creature unconditionally.
Amen to that! My fiancee (a Vietnam Vet) says no one should die alone. He has gone as far as to stop in the middle of the street (a side street) to kneel down with a cat who'd been hit by a car and, while waving any traffic around, just stroked the cat and told him what a good kitty he was, as he died. He said he felt silly, when he told me about it... it made me love him even more!
Remember, it's never a mistake to care about someone...not even a pinky mouse.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry for your loss.

Epsilon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kelly
My motherly instincts dictate that I must smother any baby in need ^^. It was an amazing thing to experience, especially at my age. And my love for Bean was definitely unconditional. Going through sleepless nights to make sure he was fed was hard, but I'd do anything to have it back now. I've cried myself out and feel better, I tried my best. Baby mice are incredibly hard to wean without a mom mouse. My only fear is that he suffered, but I hope he knows how much I cared and loved him.

StarrySkies

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elle
I'm so sorry. Even though you only had him for a bit, animals just wiggle their way into your heart, even after a few minutes.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I have experience hand raising feeder mice. I have a near %100 success rate now, but definitely did not at first. I feel your pain, friend. That baby had a 1/4 chance of survival. How ever, that baby did die peacefully. You saved that tiny baby from being eaten alive. I fell in love with my babies as well.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am so sorry for your loss

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You were a nurturing human to Tiny Bean and gave more than most would. It will come back to you in kind.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Sorry for your loss. This is Dakota:

I got her at one week, where her odds jumped to 75%. You did amazing, despite your odds. Losing a little one can rip your heart out. It is like losing a child, because you spend just as much time together and do the same thing.