• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts on smaller cages

vrnkstxx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronika St
Hi! So i’m writing this as a first time love bird owner and wanted to hear your opinion.
Currently my birdie has a smaller cage that she uses only for eating, drinking and sleeping at night.
The other 12+ hours she is outside in our apartment, flying, playing etc. (supervised no worries).
To add: Currently i am a student staying at home (having online classes). However when my situation changes and i start having classes at uni and possibly working i plan on buying a big cage and possibly getting her a companion (or boyfriend :rofl:).
What are your opinions on smaller cages used like the example above ? Is this in any way harmful to the bird or not ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A bird should always be able to stretch out their wings fully at in at least one spot of the cage. Even though your bird spends significant time out, there may be days that isn't possible and your bird may be in the cage longer then normal. Even overnight they sometimes like to stretch. And if they get spooked at night, then they have a greater chance of injuring themselves in a small cage as their wings can get caught in the bars.

I tell people to imagine being in a room where you can't even stretch out your arms, and then try to fill that space with activities, food, water, and a place to sleep. Even if you are only spending 12 hours a night in that room, it's still very small!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I Would transition to the larger cage now and start caging your bird for some sessions throughout the day while you work in the kitchen or another room.
You want your bird to learn to be independant and happy in their own cage. You don´t want them to be noisy when you are not around either.
Transition gradually over time from now until you go to uni/work.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Get the largest cage possible now and let her adjust long before you return to your regular schedule. Keeping a bird in a smaller cage even temporarily can slowly become an ongoing practice because humans have a way of rationalizing everything and growing accustomed to their habits/practices.

It doesn't matter how much time your bird has outside of the cage; she deserves a bigger cage.

Good luck.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Little dated but should be this the smallest.
FB_IMG_1566358619724.jpg

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In addition to what everyone else has said in support of getting a bigger cage now, remember that things come up which mean that she may be unable to get 12+ hours out of her cage. You might get sick and be unable to supervise her. Someone in your family may be hospitalised. Something in the environment may change and make it unsafe for her to come out.

Get the bigger cage now and spend time helping her get used to it.