• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

They hit the jackpot

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
No... I don't recall seeing any squirrels. Not even when I rode my horse out in the country. You made me google it!

Red squirrel in Spain

Red squirrel in Spain
red squirrel: ardilla roja: Sciurus vulgaris

It has been claimed that Spain was once so thickly-forested that a squirrel could cross the peninsula hopping from tree to tree, but squirrels do not occupy holm oak woods and so have always been absent from extensive areas, particularly in the south, where they are only present in pinewoods. Spanish squirrels increase in size as they move south (the opposite to Bergman’s rule), and tend to be much darker in the north of the country.

Three distinct “groups” of squirrels in Spain have been identified: 1. infuscatus – remarkably large squirrels of up to half a kilo with very colourful tails and white hairs found in the pinewoods of Centre and South. 2. alpinus – small dark, sometimes black squirrels from the North, the Pyrenees and the Northern Sistema Central. 3. numantius – medium-sized squirrels with a blackish tail and a red-brown coat in the Sistema Ibérico.

Their absence from the Balearics appears to explain the smaller size of pine cones on the islands.

A number of squirrels have been released in recent years in city parks such as in El Retiro in Madrid. Squirrels are now fully protected by law but in the past were considered a delicacy. Grey squirrels are mercifully absent from Spain.

Very interesting!

My boyfriend says he would see them up in Ronda when he was stationed there back in his army days.

Grey squirrels are the ¨bad¨ ones if I remember correctly? In the UK I would see grey squirrels everywhere. They just come into the garden and eat from the bird feeders. I would travel to Formby to see the red squirrels.

I´ve only ever seen one hedgehog in Spain too. Unfortunately it had passed away (Jacob found it in the grass) poor little thing. Never seen a live one here roaming.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
:heart: Aaaw yay!! Pepper is back!! :swoon: This whole thread just makes me happy to my core! :xflove: I love this!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Very interesting!

My boyfriend says he would see them up in Ronda when he was stationed there back in his army days.

Grey squirrels are the ¨bad¨ ones if I remember correctly? In the UK I would see grey squirrels everywhere. They just come into the garden and eat from the bird feeders. I would travel to Formby to see the red squirrels.

I´ve only ever seen one hedgehog in Spain too. Unfortunately it had passed away (Jacob found it in the grass) poor little thing. Never seen a live one here roaming.

That would be Rota... a large Navy Base but also had Army and Air Force.

Yes... those little grey varmits are all over the place here. We have Fox squirrels too but you don't see many of them and only in certain areas. I think those are very neat and love the red squirrels too!

Naval Station Rota Naval Base in Rota, SPAIN | Military Bases

https://militarybases.com › overseas › spain › rota

Compared to other military bases in Europe, Naval Station Rota, Spain is way different. ... It hosts sailors, Marines, US Army troops and US Air Force experts.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He stayed in the barracks in Ronda and I think they would go out and train near the outskirts. The city is situated between 2 huge natural parks, so plenty of land and trees for the squirells to live.
I don´t think he was ever in Rota. I´ve never been there either, when we got to Cadíz, we go to El Palmar :)

We have Fox squirrels too but you don't see many of them and only in certain areas.
Such beautiful creatures, I wish we´d see more of them :)

Aaaw yay!! Pepper is back!
:D
This little bird seems juvenile. His forehead is super fluffy, it reminds me of when Sydney was a young bird. So I really do think it is Pepper :D
He´s here now. He´s been sat there for about 15 mins :fairy2:

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
Can someone link me to the original story of Pepper? I'm dying to know the story... and I'm sure when I do I will be EQUALLY happy that he is back!!! I'm assuming he was not tame, but perhaps injured and rescued?

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I didn´t notice the pair of doves visiting today. Just the little one - and he sat on that bar most of the day :)

There´s food in the feeder up on the bar but also in a glass dish on the floor next to the water bowl.

He´s been gettin vocal...

I'm assuming he was not tame, but perhaps injured
His nest was cut down by council workers trimming the palm trees. Little guy made it across the road to my balcony but got badly injured somehow.
He lived under my pepper plant most of the time which I didn´t mind as there is a family of hawks across the street. @Gribouille suggested naming the bird Pepper :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Odd that I still haven´t seen the pair... :(
The little one is living in the tree right in front of me... and he´s been hanging out here all day.

I am CERTAIN it is Pepper who is visiting you!
I think so too :) :bliss: