• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Terrified sun conure

WolfiWorch

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Savanah
I just adopted a new sun conure about a month ago, she’s about two years old, and she was a return and the store owner didn’t say anything other than that. He told me she’d be hard to get out of her cage but after she’d get out she loves to cuddle and step-up and whatever. When I brought her home (her name is embers) I realized this wasn’t the case. It took her forever to come out of the travel box when it was left open inside her new cage, and when she got in her cage she wouldn’t leave. It’s been about a month having her and I leave the top of her cage open all the time, except she won’t go anywhere other than the cage. She’s also TERRIFIED of people. She still hasn’t gotten used to me and still runs when I walk up to the cage. I’ve always done it slowly, I’ve tried treats as well as just minding my own business and trying to let her get comfortable with me being around. I’m not sure what else to do. If anyone has any ideas to help make her a more loving and cuddly and less scared bird I would love some feedback.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
:bump4:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Lots of time and patience,,you dont know how she was treated at her previous home. Being a " return"..ugh, hate that word... they may have done something to her. It will be a while, but, when she realizes your not gonna hurt her, she will eventually warm up to you. I had a tiel who was badly abused, took her 7 years to trust me,,then she really was still not 100 percent..loved her anyways.

Lore

Moving in
The best tips I got (I had a very similar situation with a "returned" conure) were to mount a perch on the inside door of the cage, and to target train the bird. Apollo and I have been together about a month and a half, and those for those first few weeks we were not making much progress at all. I target trained him from inside the cage, so that he would be rewarded for touching the target stick all around the inside of his cage. Then, I placed an easily accessible perch inside the cage door that I could target him onto, and over a period of a few days, was able to slowly open the door. Then, I made being outside the cage a super freaking fun time, but also allowed him to go inside any time he wanted. But, if he was out, he got unlimited treats and his favorite toy was nearby. Now, just a few weeks later, I'm trying to figure out how to make the inside of the cage more fun again, lol! Progress is much faster now that he is out of his cage. Good luck!

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Sit in the same room with her and read aloud. Might start a foot or two or more away, but start at a distance where she isn't running away to the other side of the cage or cringing back. Sit in a chair, be comfortable, and just read aloud. Next day, or when she seems more comfortable, move the chair a little closer and do it again.

I know you've tried treats, but be sure to do it in a very UNscary way, such as: Every time you walk by her cage, drop one of her favorite treats through the bars into a food cup. Don't make sharp or sudden movements, and don't do it right where she is --- choose a cup that isn't close to her at that moment (you said she moves away, so shouldn't be a problem). Drop the treat, like a sunflower seed or a very small piece of millet spray, in the cup and keep on going, don't linger. The goal is to build a positive association between your appearance and good stuff happening (the favored treat). But your appearance should be brief and nonscary at first -- and hopefully the appeal of the treat and the triggering of her curiosity and foraging/eating behavior will quickly make her realize that when you show up, good things happen.

Add a big tincture of time -- you just got her -- In birdie time, a month is not really that long at all. Relax. Enjoy her beauty -- sun conures are stunning! Don't put a timetable on things, but don't just forget about her, either. A little several times every day should work wonders.