• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

taming your budgie

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
i was wondering how some of you tame your budgies? mine will eat off of my finger, but as soon as i put the spray millet treat on the palm of my hand, she will not eat it. she was doing the step-up thing yesterday, but stopped today. i also wondered if anyone knew good songs to play so your budgie calms down/sleeps?

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Hi! You've only had your budgie for a few days now right? If so, I think the best advice I can give you is to be patient. You've already made a lot of progress getting her to eat from your fingers. Now you just need to not push her too much while you give her time to learn to trust you. Let her tell you when she's ready to move onto the next step. Remember taming and bonding can take many, many weeks so there is no point in trying to rush it.

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
Thank you:) I just hope I am doing nothing wrong? She was fine with my boyfriend yesterday, and even giving him kisses.. but he has also had birds growing up.. Does that mean she just doesn't like me or she is just getting used to me?

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
she also only makes noise at night when the lights are out or when she has the blanket over her cage

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
I don't think you're doing anything wrong! I just think that you are understandably very eager to bond with your new friend. :) I also think much of the cooperative behavior you've been seeing so far can be explained by the "honeymoon period". This is a time, after moving to a new environment, where a bird can act very subdued and docile. Some birds don't make a peep, let you pick them up, and basically just don't put up a fight. This can lead owners to think that their bird is quiet and "tame" when in reality they are just trying to learn about their new home and figuring out if you are a big scary predator that's about to eat them. Once they've grown more comfortable they often begin showing their "true" colors and may become more defiant, vocal, and bitey.

The vocalizing in the dark is probably just because she feels more secure when covered? It may help her settle in if you keep 2 or 3 sides of her cage covered at all times so she has a safe corner to sit in.

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
she keeps moving away when i try to pet her but she was fine yesterday? should i just keep trying once and a while slowly?

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
she keeps moving away when i try to pet her but she was fine yesterday? should i just keep trying once and a while slowly?
Hmmm yes I do think this is the "honeymoon period". If so, then trying to pet her while she's being docile will not help in the long run because you are still forcing her to do something she doesn't necessarily want to. In general you want to wait until a bird indicates that they are open to handling or petting before trying anything.

I'm going to be completely honest with you too, none of our budgies have ever been very cuddly or open to petting. They are more "sit on you and chill" kinda birds. Starburst definitely could be different but I figured I'd warn you in case this is something that makes her feel uncomfortable.

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
She seems to like when I pet her but not too often. Do you know what would indicate that she wants me to hold her?

Calpurnia

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
Well eventually you're going to learn how to read your bird's body language the best, but I'd say if she willingly approaches your hand on her own it's a good indication she is open to petting or handling. Anything else (sitting completely still, leaning away, and running away) is a good sign that she is not yet comfortable with your hands yet.

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
well i actually just recently posted a thread called taming budgies (in an aviary) altho i dont know if it works for caged budgies.

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
She's been chirping a lot today and a bit yesterday she seems to only do it when she is alone but I think she is warming up nicely :)

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
shes been chirping a lot lately but she wont let me hold her or anything but she's probably just nervous

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
shes been chirping a lot lately but she wont let me hold her or anything but she's probably just nervous
yeah. budgies dont like being held. but they leaving sitting on your finger! she will just be getting use to you. offer her more food from your hand. this will get her more relaxed around you.

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
lol she won't stop chirping it's so cute :) but she doesn't chirp constantly, just randomly throughout the day. she seems very happy but wont let me touch her again, so i have to be patient. :)

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
lol she won't stop chirping it's so cute :) but she doesn't chirp constantly, just randomly throughout the day. she seems very happy but wont let me touch her again, so i have to be patient. :)
awww cute... i love it when budgies chirp!

1234Starburst

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Versteegh
she sings to some music that plays in movies lol! its cute