• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Talk me down..

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I was actually concerned about him saying to leave the other birds alone after he told you he was fine with other birds....so kind of made me wonder right away...the right buddy will come along so don’t give up! :heart:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Maybe you should wait to meet a rescue and their birds? You might find that problem-solving personality in a bird that really needs a home.:)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a double-sided experience! It's hard to walk away from a bad situation and to know one's own limits. I struggle with that myself.

But the store owner's poor judgment aside, it sounds like you got a lot of experience in one visit! Yeah, bird bites hurt but as awful as yours was, you knew it wasn't his fault. :heart2:Bless you for being the only person in that store who understood him. You're either intuitive or have done your research or both and I think you'll make a good parront to whomever you bring home.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Yes now that I feel more confident about being able to take a bite like that, I am more sure that I want to RESCUE and not buy a baby.

I had research, but since I lacked the physical experience I thought I could be better off with a baby - because I could gradually learn these things without going straight into a potentially dangerous situation. But since there are no good stores near me that carry that size of bird (just this bad store), I'm finally settled on waiting.

I will back off and wait for the rescues to open again.
I am happy with this and I feel a lot less "time crunched" because if I was going to get a baby that would live 40+ years I wanted to get it ASAP.

And this means the budgies get the big cage!!! :D (I was going to upgrade them anyway, and the bar spaces are within safe range for them)

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Have you been checking out Craigslist? Birds get listed on my local pages all the time - some legit, some scammers e.g. Gang Macaw - pets

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Have you been checking out Craigslist? Birds get listed on my local pages all the time - some legit, some scammers e.g. Gang Macaw - pets
I have actually looked there a few times. I will keep an eye out :)
Mostly more budgies on there and that makes me sad. I'd have a rainbow of them if I could give them all enough attention to be tame.