• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent swollen ankle on cocktaiel

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
my cockatiel is 7 months old. i had to pull a blood feather out yesterday because it was bleeding and i think when i was holding him in the towel he might of twisted his ankle. so i brought him into the vet and he noticed he lost 6 grams so he got put on vitamins and new food. but he says the ankle swelling will go down on its own. is there anything i can do to help him feel better?

Attachments

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Yes,

If you add a bit of Tumeric to his food and try to get him to eat lots of spinach, kale, collard greens, hot peppers and blueberries. All are healthy an natural anti-inflammatories.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, poor little bird, that looks painful. Did the vet give you anything for the pain? I hope he heals quickly!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, what are you feeding him currently?

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
Hi, what are you feeding him currently?
so before i went to the vet he was on like 75% fresh food, 15% seed and 10% pellets. now i’m trying to get him on 75% pellets 15% fresh food 10% seed. it’s a slow process

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
so before i went to the vet he was on like 75% fresh food, 15% seed and 10% pellets. now i’m trying to get him on 75% pellets 15% fresh food 10% seed. it’s a slow process
I’ll bet! He probably loves his fresh food, and it’s so healthy for him. I hate that vets push pellets so much.

How is his ankle looking?

cinnamon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sofia
I’ll bet! He probably loves his fresh food, and it’s so healthy for him. I hate that vets push pellets so much.

How is his ankle looking?
sorry about the late reply i didn’t see this! he loves his fresh food! i just got a book out of the library about bird diets so i might have him do 50% pellets 35% fresh and 15% seed. i’m not sure though. i also hate that vets push pellets so much :(