• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure help

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Meanwhile can you help me or teach me about how and what to feed Rio
I am probably not the one to teach you about feeding a Sun Conure. I am not sure if they eat just like a cockatiel. I give TD pellets, very little seeds, lots of different veggies. I try a lot of them, but he's not big on fruit, except apples.

However, I can't remember where or when I read that you should eat with your bird bcuz birds (at least cockatiels) eat together as a flock. I tried it...and you should see how happy it makes him when I stand or sit by his cage and munch on anything...he stops whatever he's doing and runs to his food bowl and starts eating... it's really cute how he keeps looking up, checking to see if I'm still eating with him!

I have also found that if I want him to try something new, it is almost guaranteed he will try it if I eat whatever it is that I want him to try in front of him and I make a big deal about it... saying, "yum yum yum yum". Then I'll offer him a little piece of whatever it is and say, "try some". It almost never fails!

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
I am probably not the one to teach you about feeding a Sun Conure. I am not sure if they eat just like a cockatiel. I give TD pellets, very little seeds, lots of different veggies. I try a lot of them, but he's not big on fruit, except apples.

However, I can't remember where or when I read that you should eat with your bird bcuz birds (at least cockatiels) eat together as a flock. I tried it...and you should see how happy it makes him when I stand or sit by his cage and munch on anything...he stops whatever he's doing and runs to his food bowl and starts eating... it's really cute how he keeps looking up, checking to see if I'm still eating with him!

I have also found that if I want him to try something new, it is almost guaranteed he will try it if I eat whatever it is that I want him to try in front of him and I make a big deal about it... saying, "yum yum yum yum". Then I'll offer him a little piece of whatever it is and say, "try some". It almost never fails!
That's some nice info. Will give it a try

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
let us know how Rio is doing!

you can go to 'Feathered Food Court' here on Avian Avenue to read more information
Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

in general
Rio should have only a little fruit, more veggies and greens. These should only stay in the cage a couple hours or if it is very hot where you are maybe less so they don't go bad. most folks offer these twice daily.
A mix of pellets, seeds, only a small amount of nuts can be kept in the cage all the time or only offered at certain times. Depends on how piggy the bird is.

you can search the forum or internet for "chop" or "mash" to see what people put together. Some of our members have posted pictures of meals that I'd love to eat!

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Hello All,
Honestly we couldn't go to the doctor coz Rio seemed to be fine and also we had some issues. Anyways Rio is doing well. Eats well like always, poops normal and no colours because of the food I guess and he's acting awesome like always. So we thought we'd give him a girlfriend to keep him company when we go out so we got a female sun conure "LOLA". The sweetest thing.
Now Rio is startled, angry, confused and scared. Lola keeps going near him though she's scared too. Rio keeps biting her and hurting her for some reason. Guess it'll take time for him to come to terms with her. Sometimes he's okay but then again sideelt reality hits him and he goes back to biting Lola.
Any suggestions and help like you are guys are doing would be very much appreciated. If Rio and Lola don't get along I guess we will return Lola back.
Am posting a picture of both.

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Are they in separate cages. If not they should be. Move the cages across the room from each other so they can see and hear each other. Only allow out of cage time together if you can supervise. Also allow separate play areas when out. He could really hurt Lola. Right now he is jealous of the new bird in his territory. The introduction should have been done slowly over several days to several weeks.

Hope

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hope
I definitely would have kept them apart for health reasons also. There should have been a quarantine period. I really hope neither had an underlying health problem because that could mean double the vet bills. I've had my sun conure for 3 weeks and he still hasn't been anywhere near my other birds. He even came with a health certificate from an avian vet. I use hand sanitizer before getting his food/water or handling him. Babies haven't had time to build up an immune system yet. Your birds are beautiful. Make sure they are in separate cages.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Are they in separate cages. If not they should be. Move the cages across the room from each other so they can see and hear each other. Only allow out of cage time together if you can supervise. Also allow separate play areas when out. He could really hurt Lola. Right now he is jealous of the new bird in his territory. The introduction should have been done slowly over several days to several weeks.
Thank you. Thats good info.Yes I put them in separate cages and also only gonna take him out when we can supervise.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
I definitely would have kept them apart for health reasons also. There should have been a quarantine period. I really hope neither had an underlying health problem because that could mean double the vet bills. I've had my sun conure for 3 weeks and he still hasn't been anywhere near my other birds. He even came with a health certificate from an avian vet. I use hand sanitizer before getting his food/water or handling him. Babies haven't had time to build up an immune system yet. Your birds are beautiful. Make sure they are in separate cages.
Yes done. Thank you