• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun conure help

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Hello, I've tried all the places I could and I come here to get solid answers on how to raise my sweet sun conure RIO. I'm so new to raising a bird and I have so many questions as in how to and am hoping you would PLEASE help me. Am from India and apparently at the place I am now there does not seem to have bird help much.
Rio is 3 months old.
- He is so attached to me that when we put him in the cage he starts doing a sad squawk which will go on forever. How do I make him like His cage?
- He never plays with his toys in the cage
- He only stays on the shoulder or come around me wherever I go.
- He only sleeps in his cage in the nights.
- He does so many sounds and I do not know what they mean.
I figured out the food he likes so that's going on. I don't know what to do. Can you please help or tell me how I go about training him step by step? Please help coz I have a feeling am not taking care of him in a way he's supposed to. Am worried.

datlamb

Sprinting down the street
before i answer your questions, may i ask what size is his cage? and what do you feed him?

to make him love his cage more you need to make it entertaining. it's a very good step to have toys in it. if he shows no interest in them, try hiding treats ( like millet or sunflower seeds) in the toys so they'll pique his interest! what sort of toys does he have?

could you describe the sounds he is making? chirps, screams?

The Training Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum this part of the forum is dedicated to training, the stickies there should help you get started.

goodluck! keep us updated!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How long have you had Rio?
AND welcome to AA.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you and Rio! :)

Make sure you head onto "Conure Court" and ask your questions...

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
At 3 months of age your bird is still a baby. Are you just putting him in the cage at night? Birds should learn that their cage is their home, a place to feel secure. In order to teach him that he needs to be inside the cage where you place toys of enrichment like foraging. If you were a bird what would you want in your home? Several natural perches, room to flap wings and play, shredding toys and such. Where are you placing the cage and what does it look like? Is it standing on the floor or on a table? We need more information from you in order to help.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ideas:

This is a nice set up for a cage interior.

In this video you are shown a good set up for birds. Yes they are budgies but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA! In addition to a nice cage and set up with plenty of foraging opportunities and toys, it would probably be good to have him on some sort of schedule so he knows when it's time to come out and when it's time to entertain himself in his cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Rio is 3 months old.

How long has he been with you? He is just a baby.

He is so attached to me that when we put him in the cage he starts doing a sad squawk which will go on forever. How do I make him like His cage?

Right now he is a baby and looking for comfort. Birds are rarely alone in the wild; they move as a flock. He sees you as the flock and wants to stay nearby. Once he is more comfortable he will come to see his cage as a safe zone. Why does he need to be in his cage? How long is he in it?

He never plays with his toys in the cage

Did the breeder introduce him to toys? What kind of toys does he have? If he's been with you a short time, it's likely because he is still unsure of his surroundings. Playing is a "leisure" activity that they do once they are comfortable.

He only stays on the shoulder or come around me wherever I go.

Again, you are the flock, and he feels safe next to you.

He only sleeps in his cage in the nights.

It is normal for them to only sleep at night and to roost in a cage.

He does so many sounds and I do not know what they mean.

You will learn. Each bird has his own unique sounds and it's hard to write a dictionary.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Woah this is overwhelming. Thank you all for your welcome.Am glad am here. I'll go about answering all the questions one by one now coz I have all the time as Rio is sleeping on my lap now
- I honestly do not know the size of the cage but it's not small but to give a clarity I'll post pictures of it. And we have put up wooden toys however he doesn't play much with those but likes the chain in it. Lately he's been playing with two wooden toys but then again I have to sit with him while he plays with them. The sounds for which I'll also upload maybe mp3s of them but then again I mostly hear that sad squawk all through the day, and the chuckle kinda sound, it's better i post the sounds. And since we were told to feed him the bird formula he is pretty much used to it. I'm slowly reducing it and giving him fruits And veggies(apples, carrots, banana, guava,peas, corn, watermelon,lettuce) for one part of the day while the rest Is his formula and his seeds sometimes. This week I'll go about giving him fruits and veggies for two parts of the day and then slowly stop it.
- I've had Rio for one and a half months now
- There are toys in the cage but the moment he gets in there starts the sad squawks. There sure is place for him to move around and have fun but he only chooses to stand on the plastic perch and wail away. I keep him in the cage every time I have to work. Nights are the only time he gets in the cage well unhappily though, and then does a low volumed squawk and goes to sleep. The cage is on the cupboard and we cover the cage in the nights a little and put up a warm light.
- I think in a day Rio stays in the cage for a few hours. I can't put him in there for more coz he won't stop squawking. It's a black coloured cage, we had a white one earlier and he didn't squawk much in it. Anyways when I have to work or clean the house is when I keep him in. After his breakfast or lunch he loves to sleep on my lap to his side or on his back. Nights are the only time he sleeps in his cage.

Am new to this web. So am sorry if this isn't the place where i have to ask about sun conures. I didn't know there's a conure platform. I'll post the pics and the mp3 in a while. Thank you all so much. Am relieved.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Welcome to the Avenue!! Don't know anything about Sun Conures. Trying to understand a three month old cockatiel I've had since he was three weeks old! My first bird (sort of). Sounds like you got your bird really young as well!

There are a lot of good people here. A lot of good information. I can't tell you how much they helped me with TD.

I can tell you love your bird... so I know you'll be alright! Be patient. Learn everything you can about your bird, don't beat yourself up over mistakes...trust can be rebuilt! Did I say be patient? Be patient! Talk to your bird, sing to your bird, tell your bird everything you are doing when you're within his sight, engage your bird every chance you get... and did I say be patient? Be patient. Get to know your bird. Let your bird be a bird. Let your bird express it's own personally....and did I say be patient? Be patient!

Great cage set up!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you can at all invest in a flight cage it would be much better for your bird all way round.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
If you can at all invest in a flight cage it would be much better for your bird all way round.
Oh is it? I didn't know. Well I don't know what a flight cage is. Will Google it and see what can be done. What's so different about the flight cage?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
A flight cage is bigger. Allows your bird more space tgey are usually 31 inches x 21 inches.

It would also be nice if you could swap out the plastic perches with natural wood tree branch perches. They are better for the feet.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I thank you for wanting to learn how to improve Rio's habitat and training.
I imagine things are very different in India but I can only discuss how I think here.

I have a hahn's macaw, which is about the same size as a sun conure.
I would say the cage Rio is in is far too small. It would be the size for a budgie or canary.
He needs to be able to spread and flap his wings inside the cage. 31x21 would be a minimum.
The bars are spaced too closely together for him to climb easily. The spacing is for budgies in that cage. You would think closer is better but because of an experiment I tried with one of my birds I saw that it was hard to get her toes into the spaces and it was more difficult. You want bar spacing 3/4 inch or 5/8 inch.
The bars are also too thin and could be bent or removed by a sun conure.
Even though he is mostly out of the cage he should have one that is more appropriate with thicker bars and better bar spacing.

The perches you have are also sized for parakeets and finches. You should have a variety of diameters from 3/4 inch to 1.5 inch of different materials like natural branches to rope perches. It is also nice to have some platform perches and swings or boings. This is important to prevent serious foot problems.

You need to try a variety of toys to find the toys Rio prefers. Toys made of balsa or leather knots are popular with birds of that size. Look at the vendors on this site to get ideas for DIY toys, and some do ship overseas. Skewers are great to put wood, shreddables, and even vegetables and fruit for tearing up.

As for training I highly recommend you read Barbara Heidenreich and also watch her videos on youtube. She even has live webinars you can sign up to participate in. The key words you want to look for in training methods are "positive reinforcement", "clicker training", or "force free training".

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
I thank you for wanting to learn how to improve Rio's habitat and training.
I imagine things are very different in India but I can only discuss how I think here.

I have a hahn's macaw, which is about the same size as a sun conure.
I would say the cage Rio is in is far too small. It would be the size for a budgie or canary.
He needs to be able to spread and flap his wings inside the cage. 31x21 would be a minimum.
The bars are spaced too closely together for him to climb easily. The spacing is for budgies in that cage. You would think closer is better but because of an experiment I tried with one of my birds I saw that it was hard to get her toes into the spaces and it was more difficult. You want bar spacing 3/4 inch or 5/8 inch.
The bars are also too thin and could be bent or removed by a sun conure.
Even though he is mostly out of the cage he should have one that is more appropriate with thicker bars and better bar spacing.

The perches you have are also sized for parakeets and finches. You should have a variety of diameters from 3/4 inch to 1.5 inch of different materials like natural branches to rope perches. It is also nice to have some platform perches and swings or boings. This is important to prevent serious foot problems.

You need to try a variety of toys to find the toys Rio prefers. Toys made of balsa or leather knots are popular with birds of that size. Look at the vendors on this site to get ideas for DIY toys, and some do ship overseas. Skewers are great to put wood, shreddables, and even vegetables and fruit for tearing up.

As for training I highly recommend you read Barbara Heidenreich and also watch her videos on youtube. She even has live webinars you can sign up to participate in. The key words you want to look for in training methods are "positive reinforcement", "clicker training", or "force free training".
Thank you. It helped

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
A flight cage is bigger. Allows your bird more space tgey are usually 31 inches x 21 inches.

It would also be nice if you could swap out the plastic perches with natural wood tree branch perches. They are better for the feet.
Thank you.

AK89

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ankitha
Question
- when can I bathe Rio, can I do it now at this age and how do I go about it and how do i dry him?
- My Rio puked twice today and I do not know why but it sure it scared the daylights of me. Help?