• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden influx of birds to our home!!!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
They are all beautiful ..good luck with them :strhng:

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Are you keeping them separate from your current birds and doing quarantine?

The first vet bill for 8 birds at my vet would be obnoxious :lol:
Yes they are quarantined in another room. :)

Fickle

Strolling the yard
That's nice that they are pleasant to listen too with so many fids I'd imagine it would sound like the jungle if they all got going.
I'm curious to know what you'll name every birdie and how the budgies and Tiels will end up reacting to each other. Do all the baby budgies share a cage? They must be so cute to watch interact with each other.
The Tiels and our first two budgies Fickle and Pickle are in the same room each pair in their own cage. Pickle was raised and handfed with the two Tiels and they all came home together and get along amazingly well. 000E9CF1-D882-438A-9DD0-C88E0E041746.jpeg I’m still working in cage daily on step up work with Fickle and she’s getting pretty good. So she has not met the Tiels face to face out of cage yet. 55D194FB-A5D7-4BF3-9DCD-30DE669E8E09.jpeg
The other two baby budgies Abbott and Costello are in a cage together in another room finishing up their quarantine. Working in step up with them also but that’s much slower going. Lol. The first pic is Abbott the next two pics are both Costello.
DFA63EE0-FAA5-45CE-8B25-564485470C29.jpeg BCEA1B20-399B-4B4F-AA3F-4B8DBFD509AC.jpeg 9444ED63-0112-498E-9732-153AEEA3B091.jpeg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Tiels and our first two budgies Fickle and Pickle are in the same room each pair in their own cage. Pickle was raised and handfed with the two Tiels and they all came home together and get along amazingly well. View attachment 426540 I’m still working in cage daily on step up work with Fickle and she’s getting pretty good. So she has not met the Tiels face to face out of cage yet. View attachment 426541
The other two baby budgies Abbott and Costello are in a cage together in another room finishing up their quarantine. Working in step up with them also but that’s much slower going. Lol. The first pic is Abbott the next two pics are both Costello.
View attachment 426542 View attachment 426543 View attachment 426544
Oh my goodness they are all so cute. That's wonderful that you have the space to quarantine everyone. That's always been a hard thing when I've tried to have 2 at once and don't have enough rooms to keep them totally separate.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Oh gosh same here! Just taking in one bird costs so much it's unreal. Totally understandable why it's so expensive since it's specialized care but it's definitely pricey.
oOoOO.....yep .....birds are expensive when you make a vet trip!! And even more do if you have a flock wide outbreak of something!!!!!!

With finches , canary you also have risks if mite, parasites, coccidia n stuff...there is more if that in their populations.

You definitely want to be careful with quarantine. And get them all checked out with fecal exams too.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Rember veggies for budgie too!
And more than just dowel for perch options.

These are all such gorgeous birds!!!

We do secret Santa , and it's loads of fun to sign up for ! But mercy that's going to be a lot to shop for if you participate! I highly recommend you do !! Loads of fun!!

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
SO cute! I love bourkes!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Don't let birds land on cages that other birds are inside of. Birds inside a cage will bite the toes of those landing on their cage....or fight
Even if they are fine outside of the cage together

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Rember veggies for budgie too!
And more than just dowel for perch options.

These are all such gorgeous birds!!!

We do secret Santa , and it's loads of fun to sign up for ! But mercy that's going to be a lot to shop for if you participate! I highly recommend you do !! Loads of fun!!
I’ve been trying veggies with budgies no go yet. Everyone does eat pellets though. And bits if spring greens ( lettuces spinach leaves etc) but I’ll keep working on it. :)

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Don't let birds land on cages that other birds are inside of. Birds inside a cage will bite the toes of those landing on their cage....or fight
Even if they are fine outside of the cage together
Yes we’ve had birds on and off for decades that is something I learned early on. :)

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes we’ve had birds on and off for decades that is something I learned early on. :)
Ooh what species did you used to have?

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Ooh what species did you used to have?
All the regular stuff over the years…. finches canaries budgies and cockatiels , all of which had free flight time sometimes. Daughter had a couple of lovebirds when she was a teenager at home also. Oh and quail had several in a huge fish tank habitat for a while too. Lol. :p

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All the regular stuff over the years…. finches canaries budgies and cockatiels , all of which had free flight time sometimes. Daughter had a couple of lovebirds when she was a teenager at home also. Oh and quail had several in a huge fish tank habitat for a while too. Lol. :p
Ooh I love Quail they are super cute.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
According to the research I’ve done it appears that various mutations of the red rump parrot do not have red rumps. It was the first thing I noticed when I saw him and the owner had just told me he was a blue mutation red rump parrot so I looked it up right away wondering if the owner knew what they were talking about. Lol I came to find out over two days of talking while dismantling and loading cages into our car for two days, lol, that the owner is a very intelligent ( and very talkative lol) person well versed in all things bird both pet and wild, being a bird club member , was on some kind of board of directors of something to do with birds, , involved in birds since childhood with a parent who was a parrot breeder, and on and on. Anyhow a bit of goodie research showed me there are mutations that do not have the red rump. Genetics obviously affects how the colours are displayed , and for sure there is no red present on the blue mutation of red rumped parrots. :)

View attachment 426519 View attachment 426520 a
Yes, after I bit of searching I did discover they dont have the red rump, has he still been DNA'd? I find it interesting that he bonded with another Male, they have a reputation for being very territorial and aggressive with other birds.
He is very beautiful

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Yes, after I bit of searching I did discover they dont have the red rump, has he still been DNA'd? I find it interesting that he bonded with another Male, they have a reputation for being very territorial and aggressive with other birds.
He is very beautiful
Can’t say for sure, previous owner got him as an 8 month old last august so I have no idea. Most of them are not banded. Not sure I’d say those two are actually bonded at all after watching them the last 24 hours. They don’t fight or argue in any way but they are never together. Ever. So maybe I was being told a story of “if you want one to have to take both” because they are bonded. Owner was very much “don’t feel pressured” kind of thing. Reverse psychology? Or just me feeling bad that they needed to get out of the dark cold basement knowing they are never let out of their cages ever. I sure did not expect want or need 8 new birds this weekend! LMBO. But here we are. Lol. :geek:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Any update? I noticed that not all of the birds made it to your signature so got me curious!