• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sudden influx of birds to our home!!!

Fickle

Strolling the yard
This weekend has gone to the birds for us. Hubby and I went to look at a pair of rosy bourkes and over the course of a weekend we ended up bringing home a managerie of gorgeous birds and a large full wall bank of cages to set up a bird room. Not planned. At all. But it happened. Owner has cancer and needed to rehome all her birds so she could move to the other end of the country to be with her children and grandchildren. Very sad.
Anyhow in the end we took home everything she had except a pair of eastern rosellas that were in a very large double flight cage. I didn’t feel confident enough to be able to handle them but they sure were beautiful.
So I want to add all these creatures to my signature once I know what icons to use and once I name them all. I will do my very best to care for them but admit I might have to rehome some if I feel it is too much. But in the moment she was pretty desperate hoping for good homes and we wanted to try and do right by the birds and not see them handed over to just any Joblow to end up with who knows what fate.

So we brought home two bonded pairs of rosy bourke parakeets, a pink pair and the other issue one pink make one wild color female I have added what I think are icons for those. And a line young pink male rust also. So 5 of them. They are all in the 1-3 year old age group. We also brought home a single male Java rice sparrow about 4 years old, a blue mutation red dumped parakeet about 1 year old, and an approximately 12 year old male Mulga parrot. So yes my next couple of months are all about getting to know these poor birds. They were living in a dark cool basement with one tiny window. The owner was doing the best she could and she hated to part with them. But we just felt it best to take what we could and either try and keep them all or, in time , perhaps take the time to find really good homes for a couple of them. Maybe. Already getting attached and thinking of names. Sigh. But we’ll do what is best for the birds in the long run. I rather consider it a bit of a rescue, though they certainly were not free. We shelled out a huge hunk of $$$ for these 8 birds and cages. It was not near what they’d be worth to go out and buy individually. But still. The dear old Mulag boy was free , she had got him free 3 years ago , and I just couldn’t bear to separate him from his cage mate the red rump parakeet (blue mutation).

anyhow I’m sure I’ll be posting more about these kids but I just wondered if there ys an UD list somewhere if what those icons are supposed to represent.I didn’t see anything that looked like our Java, or the Mulga, I could probably choose an icon for the blue mutation red rump even though it might actually be a different species. Lol.
Yup so that’s our weekend. Totally for the birds it was!!!! :scared2:
Pic of the original pair ABCF1A05-3012-481C-937E-C871FBE1EAE8.jpeg FE0EC6C3-185E-4BE3-8451-53AF51314D64.jpeg AE60222C-74B0-4F29-9435-F6217648CE67.jpeg we were first interested in.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
@Kiwi's Dad has a Rosie. He can share tips.

Do quarantine.

You've got a very active case if multiple birds syndrome!! :lol:

I'm glad you can help out. And if needed take the time to find good homes.

I'd probably do same as I'm s push over for those in need. I've come close a time or two but only as temporary transition home. Thankfully for me those found homes....cuz I'd probably end up keeping.

Can't wait to see more pics

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
And here I thought I was bad with my multiple bird syndrome :roflmao: they're gorgeous!

Don't overwhelm yourself! If you find yourself struggling at any point reach out to a rescue or aviary. There's no shame in asking for help.

Fickle

Strolling the yard
@Kiwi's Dad has a Rosie. He can share tips.

Do quarantine.

You've got a very active case if multiple birds syndrome!! :lol:

I'm glad you can help out. And if needed take the time to find good homes.

I'd probably do same as I'm s push over for those in need. I've come close a time or two but only as temporary transition home. Thankfully for me those found homes....cuz I'd probably end up keeping.

Can't wait to see more pics
Yes they’ll be in a room by themselves for now, our new bird room. LMBO. Yes I’ll post lots of pics once we get these cages all scrubbed and birds settled back into them. :D

Fickle

Strolling the yard
And here I thought I was bad with my multiple bird syndrome :roflmao: they're gorgeous!

Don't overwhelm yourself! If you find yourself struggling at any point reach out to a rescue or aviary. There's no shame in asking for help.
Ugh I’m a sucker for a sad story and an animal in need. Thanks for the support. :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ugh I’m a sucker for a sad story and an animal in need. Thanks for the support. :)
I totally understand :roflmao: I'm a sucker for a sob story too. That's how I got every animal I have. I think I've only bought one (Tteok), and that's inuding snakes and spiders haha

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Ok a few pics. And amazingly I got the pink female being very curious she actually flew across the cage to see me and easily stepped up into my finger multiple times. No joke. I’m smitten. :swoon:
Fun fact: did you know that rosy bourkes can hover?! I witnessed it with my own eyes!!! :jawdrop1:
I’ll try and get that on video sometime. The colors are a bit distorted in some pics because each individual cage has a light in it. Two lights are white tones and two are yellow tones. We bought this cage system from previous owner that the birds have been living in. It takes up nearly a whole bedroom wall. More info and pics as we get to know the birds. I forgot to take a pic of the Java sparrow will get him tomorrow.

And I only got bit once, Mr Red rumped (blue mutation) parakeet bit me on the knuckle of my thumb as I transferred him from carrier cage into the big cage when we had everything set up and ready. Did draw blood but only a tiny spot. But it sure pinched. Luckily old man Mulga hopped from carrier cage into bigger cage when we put the open doors together but grumpy Blue was having none of it. He had to be caught and moved. He is the color of faded blue jeans so I think I’ll name him Levi. Java sparrow I’ve been calling him Java but I’m thinking of calling him Penguin. All bourkes needing names were calm and easy to transfer. Previous owner did not handle them or ever have them out of the cages. They all ate both seed and pellets since they settled in. I’ll offer some fresh vegs tomorrow.

Oh and does anyone have a list of what species each of the bird icons are?

So that’s it for tonights update!!!:swoon:
7BD6CF95-EAC0-4806-8151-359AF0AA82DF.jpeg FE4FF57A-688C-42F7-90CF-2A3BA32A9A27.jpeg 9F047680-EC83-42B1-88FA-E08FCC514922.jpeg 4B923C7F-B183-4739-BA10-E1621E635AFB.jpeg 7B89022B-89E5-4F0C-98EE-4A49EAEC128A.jpeg D2E33AEC-C9CC-438E-90E6-BC8578D8EE0E.jpeg 7D18D436-8119-42C0-9B4F-D89BA960016A.jpeg 8B0F7CE6-9354-4439-B384-47660389614E.jpeg 8AD1A224-97B7-4DB8-8DA3-3FDEA237FD4E.jpeg 889B67BF-A656-4F71-83AA-4EEF8CE16A24.jpeg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
How old is the red rump? Cause I am not seeing a red rump:cantsee: (and I am pretty sure even mutation boys have it)
AA unfortunately doesn't have an icon for all species of birds, you may just have to settle for something that looks close enough. I've done that for my Slaty headed parakeet, he's represented by a female plumhead in my siggy.

Fickle

Strolling the yard
How old is the red rump? Cause I am not seeing a red rump:cantsee: (and I am pretty sure even mutation boys have it)
AA unfortunately doesn't have an icon for all species of birds, you may just have to settle for something that looks close enough. I've done that for my Slaty headed parakeet, he's represented by a female plumhead in my siggy.
According to the research I’ve done it appears that various mutations of the red rump parrot do not have red rumps. It was the first thing I noticed when I saw him and the owner had just told me he was a blue mutation red rump parrot so I looked it up right away wondering if the owner knew what they were talking about. Lol I came to find out over two days of talking while dismantling and loading cages into our car for two days, lol, that the owner is a very intelligent ( and very talkative lol) person well versed in all things bird both pet and wild, being a bird club member , was on some kind of board of directors of something to do with birds, , involved in birds since childhood with a parent who was a parrot breeder, and on and on. Anyhow a bit of goodie research showed me there are mutations that do not have the red rump. Genetics obviously affects how the colours are displayed , and for sure there is no red present on the blue mutation of red rumped parrots. :)

2630B99F-CB84-44AD-A0C9-A14E0C4913DF.png 17A9EA77-79DA-46B5-B93B-3C62475CE46F.jpeg a

Fickle

Strolling the yard
Oh and he’s just a bit over a year old. He was 8 months old when they got him last August. So he was hatched December 2021. Now that I’ve done the math and realize that he was hatched in the month of December, I think maybe….. yes for sure I’m gonna name him Dickens. Lol. Here is a pic of Dickens in natural light today. :swoon: EDDD154E-E883-42DF-8383-E85AAC69C213.jpeg

Fickle

Strolling the yard
:roflmao:
Saving this thread for when my husband complains about my hamster addiction.
That is too funny :roflmao: But in my defence this was not planned or expected…. this was out of the blue finding out the situation and then the ensuing discussion between my husband and myself and the owner. And I haven’t admitted ( oops meant to say I haven’t actually said) that I might consider keeping them all if I feel we can handle it. It is a lot of work ( lotsa fun too I admit) on top of our two cockatiels. And budgies. And a canary. And 4 dogs. And about 150 or so houseplants!!! LMBO. Good thing I’m retired.:swoon:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My goodness! That's so many fids in such a short time,I don't know how yall do it. Just thinking about taking in 8 at once overwhelms me lol.
How has the noise levels been? Are they a vocal flock?
I hope that everything ends up working out and that you're able to keep them all. They are all beautiful especially Dickens he's quite the handsome lad.

Fickle

Strolling the yard
My goodness! That's so many fids in such a short time,I don't know how yall do it. Just thinking about taking in 8 at once overwhelms me lol.
How has the noise levels been? Are they a vocal flock?
I hope that everything ends up working out and that you're able to keep them all. They are all beautiful especially Dickens he's quite the handsome lad.
These 8 are all Aussie Grass Parrots except for Java sparrow. All 8 are very calm quiet sedate chirpers and singers, all very pleasant. Our old man canary is the loudest and noisiest believe it or not he sings very long and loud, trilling much of every day and has every single day of the nearly 10 years we’ve had him. But his songs are very sweet I could listen all day. The Java sounds like a quieter canary sort of. Very sweet chit chit then a wee song. Next is budgies. I love their constant chitter chatter. It’s cute until Fickle the dilute blue girl tells off Pickle our green/ yellow pied boy. They are bonding really nicely but she has her moments where she screeches at him to remind him who’s boss! Then there’s the two baby budgies I asked about their gender and mutations a while ago, so we did end up bringing them home a while back too. I’ve named them Abbott and Costello LMBO. They are a hoot together always up to some antics. I just fell in love with their unique colors.
In any case, I’m retired so I have the time to settle them in and get to k us them, and see if we can handle keeping them all or not. We’ll see. So I really need to update my birdie signature and work on more names for sone of the new crew . LMBO.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
These 8 are all Aussie Grass Parrots except for Java sparrow. All 8 are very calm quiet sedate chirpers and singers, all very pleasant. Our old man canary is the loudest and noisiest believe it or not he sings very long and loud, trilling much of every day and has every single day of the nearly 10 years we’ve had him. But his songs are very sweet I could listen all day. The Java sounds like a quieter canary sort of. Very sweet chit chit then a wee song. Next is budgies. I love their constant chitter chatter. It’s cute until Fickle the dilute blue girl tells off Pickle our green/ yellow pied boy. They are bonding really nicely but she has her moments where she screeches at him to remind him who’s boss! Then there’s the two baby budgies I asked about their gender and mutations a while ago, so we did end up bringing them home a while back too. I’ve named them Abbott and Costello LMBO. They are a hoot together always up to some antics. I just fell in love with their unique colors.
In any case, I’m retired so I have the time to settle them in and get to k us them, and see if we can handle keeping them all or not. We’ll see. So I really need to update my birdie signature and work on more names for sone of the new crew . LMBO.
That's nice that they are pleasant to listen too with so many fids I'd imagine it would sound like the jungle if they all got going.
I'm curious to know what you'll name every birdie and how the budgies and Tiels will end up reacting to each other. Do all the baby budgies share a cage? They must be so cute to watch interact with each other.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are you keeping them separate from your current birds and doing quarantine?

The first vet bill for 8 birds at my vet would be obnoxious :lol:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you keeping them separate from your current birds and doing quarantine?

The first vet bill for 8 birds at my vet would be obnoxious :lol:
Oh gosh same here! Just taking in one bird costs so much it's unreal. Totally understandable why it's so expensive since it's specialized care but it's definitely pricey.