• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Strand of Hair Coming out of Vent?

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Hello everyone!
For the first time in the 7 years I have owned my Sun, he had a strand of hair dangling from his vent! I have no idea how or when he might have swallowed this hair but essentially I noticed it because he had a little poop hanging from it. He defecated a few times in succession after it started to protrude, then he preened the area a couple of times in irritation, now I no longer see it and he is acting normal! Am I to assume that he passed it? My avian vet said that since it was in the process of passing that it should be okay unless he starts to display lethargy, or stops eating and/or drinking. I assume this is bound to happen occasionally since he sits on my shoulder, but has anyone run into this before with their parrot?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:bump8:

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be careful about letting birds chew on your hair. They can get poisoned by hair products ie, soap, gel, spray, etc.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I imagine it is ok. I know a bit about dogs and people, and in most cases, the body does amazing things to fix itself. The horrible gross story about my dad's dog, he would take the dogs to the park everyday and they would defecate. He would carry plastic bags and pick it up. He would also carry SCISSORS because the one dog always had something hanging out of her.. plastic bag, panty hose, carpet... no kidding. So he would snip it off. That dog lived forever. Eating garbage. She never needed any intervention from a vet or surgery, just my dad's scissors. No, not all dogs do well. And I assume birds are similar. Sometimes they eat things they should not and most of the time things just pass through, just need to keep an eye on them.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Be careful about letting birds chew on your hair. They can get poisoned by hair products ie, soap, gel, spray, etc.
Oh I absolutely agree! I never let him chew on my hair that's why this is such a mystery to me! Also since he is such a shoulder snuggler I don't use hair products other than basic shampoo. :) I'm thinking either a strand of my hair fell into his birdie bath and somehow ingested it OR he is quite the hormonal regurgitator and possibly regurgitated on a random strand of my hair and ate it back up. Either way, he is eating, pooping, active, and in his usual weight range.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I had that same issue to the tee with my dove, called my vet,,now retired, he said let her pass it and if you can, pull gently on it to remove it, she is fine.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I imagine it is ok. I know a bit about dogs and people, and in most cases, the body does amazing things to fix itself. The horrible gross story about my dad's dog, he would take the dogs to the park everyday and they would defecate. He would carry plastic bags and pick it up. He would also carry SCISSORS because the one dog always had something hanging out of her.. plastic bag, panty hose, carpet... no kidding. So he would snip it off. That dog lived forever. Eating garbage. She never needed any intervention from a vet or surgery, just my dad's scissors. No, not all dogs do well. And I assume birds are similar. Sometimes they eat things they should not and most of the time things just pass through, just need to keep an eye on them.
That would happen with my dog growing up as well with the random strand of hair LOL

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I had that same issue to the tee with my dove, called my vet,,now retired, he said let her pass it and if you can, pull gently on it to remove it, she is fine.
That is very good to know THANK YOU! The mystery hair shall forever remain a mystery!