• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stops eating pellets

Tom&Jerry

Moving in
So I have a female budgie who usually loves trying new foods. I left her at a friends house (they took good care of them) for a week, and when I got her back I have monitored her for the past 2 days. It seems like my girl has suddenly stopped eating pellets, or less, she does still eat strawberries, I havven't really tried any other fruit/veggie. Is there a reason to this or will she start eating pellets again after a while?

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where they feeding pellets when they looked after her ?
Are you also feeding seed budgies need seed in there diet, be carefull on how much strawberry you feed they have a high sugar content.
It will be much more beneficial to feed a varied diet of veggies with some occasional fruit.
@Ripshod will be able to advise on the % of pellet v seed v fresh food.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm not going to guess at the reason for this change. You'll just have to work on it to get back to where you want.
Really you want to aim for 25% seed, 25-35%pellets and the rest cooked and/or fresh veg. How you get to this balance depends on your bird, and it's not set in stone.
@Wardy's correct about the strawberries. Perhaps once a week for fruit?

Tom&Jerry

Moving in
I'm not going to guess at the reason for this change. You'll just have to work on it to get back to where you want.
Really you want to aim for 25% seed, 25-35%pellets and the rest cooked and/or fresh veg. How you get to this balance depends on your bird, and it's not set in stone.
@Wardy's correct about the strawberries. Perhaps once a week for fruit?
She has only really ate millet and perfered millet over seeds, but I guess it was just because she was confused or scared, because she started eating her crushed pellets again the next day.

Tom&Jerry

Moving in
Where they feeding pellets when they looked after her ?
Are you also feeding seed budgies need seed in there diet, be carefull on how much strawberry you feed they have a high sugar content.
It will be much more beneficial to feed a varied diet of veggies with some occasional fruit.
@Ripshod will be able to advise on the % of pellet v seed v fresh food.
Yes, I gave them my box of crushed pellets, since my birds only like crushed(so far), and they updated everyday. She started eating pelletss the day after so it was probably because of confusion since we left them for a week.