• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

MPCacatúa

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Molly Perko
Hey guys! I am new to the budgie community and especially new at sprouting. After my seeds have sprouted, I have been feeding them to my babies after rinsing them several times. They seem to like trying the different sprouting mixtures. I am curious, after the sprout become dry, can they still be fed this way? They still have sprouts but are no longer damp. Also, what are types of sprouts to avoid or that can be unsafe?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If they are drying out, try rinsing them more frequently, or making smaller batches.

Maybe these threads will be helpful for you;

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
Me too I sprout very little at a time and it never dries out. I wouldn't feed dried. I'm cautious about sprout, I toss anything that doesn't smell like fresh greens or salad.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Milo ie sorghum is a large millet that produces HCN when wet. So not safe.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I sprout just enough so my birds will eat them within three days. I sprout them for two days, and after my last rinse, I dry them and store them in the fridge. I really like using the Easy Sprouter.

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura
Hey guys! I am new to the budgie community and especially new at sprouting. After my seeds have sprouted, I have been feeding them to my babies after rinsing them several times. They seem to like trying the different sprouting mixtures. I am curious, after the sprout become dry, can they still be fed this way? They still have sprouts but are no longer damp. Also, what are types of sprouts to avoid or that can be unsafe?
Here's my sprouting routine:

1. Place the seeds in a glass jar with a mesh top and rubber band or a lid specifically for sprouting (Trust me, this investment helps a lot!)
  2. Fill the jar with water so the seeds are fully submerged
  3. Let the seeds soak overnight with a towel on top
  4. Drain the water and rinse in the morning (Just to be clear, the seeds should not be submerged in water at this point)
  5. Place the towel on top again
  6. Rinse again in the afternoon
  7. Cover 'em
  8. When you see little legs poking out they are technically ready, but I like to wait until the "legs" are a bit longer
  9. Keep on repeating this until your sprouts are at the desired stage (When you notice little legs poking out of the sprouts, stop covering them. If you continue to cover them, it will cause harmful mold growth)
TIPS:

• If you notice your sprouts are fuzzy, throw them out.
  • Make sure to use fresh, whole seeds/legumes/pulses or else they will not sprout
  • I cannot stress how much a sprouting lid has helped me!
  • My favorite sprout mixes are - Things For Wings - Organic Sprout It Out, Food To Live - Organic Antioxidant Sprouting Mix, Rainbow Heirloom - Organic Sprout Mix