• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Something is off

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
I went on vacation for 2 weeks and came back just a couple days ago. I picked up my cockatiel from the pet sitter and everything seem fine. He was eating great and drinking great. When we got home, I started to play with him and lay out his toys, he didn’t want to play. He was also very quiet when I picked him up he did whistle a little bit, but not as much as usual. Another behavior thing I noticed which is off about him, is that he only wants to be cuddled. He never wanted to be cuddled more than 30 minutes until now. He constantly cleans his feathers and puff them out (more than usual) My first guess why he’s doing this is probably because he’s tired, but honestly he isn’t tired and sleeps just fine.
Something is not right, this been going on for a couple days now. He is just so quiet and now himself.

does anyone know what’s going on?

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's just had a big change: you went away and came back again, he went to a pet sitter then came home. That's a lot for a bird to deal with. He may be quieter and want some reassurance.

Did the pet sitter have other birds and if so, have they all been disease-tested? My vet won't let a bird board with them without a clear test for psittacosis.

Cuddling will trigger hormones, so try not to cuddle. Try to engage with him through training, like teaching him to target a stick.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
He's just had a big change: you went away and came back again, he went to a pet sitter then came home. That's a lot for a bird to deal with. He may be quieter and want some reassurance.

Did the pet sitter have other birds and if so, have they all been disease-tested? My vet won't let a bird board with them without a clear test for psittacosis.

Cuddling will trigger hormones, so try not to cuddle. Try to engage with him through training, like teaching him to target a stick.
He wasent went other birds. When should I cuddle him again?

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh

Also my cockatiel is just 4 months.. does he have hormones that early?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Four months is too young for hormones, but it's honestly best if you get into good habits now. My youngest bird is a year old and too young for hormones; however, living with her 6 year old older sister means that I'm keen not to go down that road at all. That means no hanging out on my shoulder, knee or lap, no snuggling on my chest and even no hanging out on the back or arms of my chair. Instead we do lots of target training and talking to each other, and I encourage them to play independently.

Read this - it will help you understand what cuddling means to a bird.

Last edited:

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Four months is too young for hormones, but it's honestly best if you get into good habits now. My youngest bird is a year old and too young for hormones; however, living with her 6 year old older sister means that I'm keen not to go down that road at all. That means no hanging out on my shoulder, knee or lap, no snuggling on my chest and even no hanging out on the back or arms of my chair. Instead we do lots of target training and talking to each other, and I enocourage them to play independently.

Read this - it will help you understand what cuddling means to a bird.

Ok thanks!! What age do they get hormones?

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on the species. For small conures it can be at about a year; for the large macaws it can be at 3-4 years. I don't have cockatiels so don't know when they reach adolescence.