• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some Questions & News!

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
Hi again, I have a few questions!
1. I was watching youtube (Denny the Budgie), and it said to put some Apple Cider Vinegar in your bird's water about once a week. Do any of y'all do this? If so, how much do I put in?
2. Does anyone know anything about GreenPans? My family uses these sometimes, does anyone know if they are safe?
3. How do you make a signature? I'm seeing so many cool ones, and I don't know how to do it.

And the news: I've placed a deposit on a Cockatiel!!! He will be ready to take home in a few weeks! We haven't decided on a name, but he seems very friendly! He was perching on my finger and making beeping noises. So cute :loveshower:Anyone have any name suggestions? (I don't have any pics of him, sadly. But I think the breeder said he was a cinnamon. I will try to find pics of birbs that look like him. Also, at the bird store, there was a sun conure that was lying down in a corner, sleeping. It was moving around a bit, is this normal? I *think* I've seen videos of Caiques doing this, not sure. The breeder said this was normal. Is this?)

Thanks if you can answer these questions. It means a lot!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
1. ACV is unesicarry, and I wouldn't worry about it unless directed by a vet. It is always important to have clean water, washed out with bird safe cleaner at least once a day and rinsed anytime you see droppings or food in it.
2. To be certain about the pans, you need to contact the people who made it to make sure it's safe, can't remember what it was off the top of my head, @camelotshadow ?
3. You can get a siggy from someone on Avian Avenue that makes them, or make one yourself. There are directions on How-To Junction and people can make you one on Signature Street.

Congrats on the cockatiel! I love the cinnamon mutation. It's normal for a baby parrot to lay down to sleep, they may be still used to sleeping like that in the nest box. Baby birds are still tired all the time, but if you see it in an older parrot it can be a sign of sickness.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
1: Echo above -- nope. nearly everything in our house gets cleaned with vinegar, but the water in the bowls/bottles is filtered tap.
2: Anodized outside, Ceramic inside, no PFAS (Teflon is a PFAS). Looks pretty bird-safe to me.
3: (Sunni's nailed it, so pressing on to more important matters)

As for name . . . Sugar -- always goes great with cinnamon ;)

When you get 'em send pics!!!

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
1. ACV is unesicarry, and I wouldn't worry about it unless directed by a vet. It is always important to have clean water, washed out with bird safe cleaner at least once a day and rinsed anytime you see droppings or food in it.
2. To be certain about the pans, you need to contact the people who made it to make sure it's safe, can't remember what it was off the top of my head, @camelotshadow ?
3. You can get a siggy from someone on Avian Avenue that makes them, or make one yourself. There are directions on How-To Junction and people can make you one on Signature Street.

Congrats on the cockatiel! I love the cinnamon mutation. It's normal for a baby parrot to lay down to sleep, they may be still used to sleeping like that in the nest box. Baby birds are still tired all the time, but if you see it in an older parrot it can be a sign of sickness.
1. Good to know. What diseases would need AVC?
2. Got it!
3. Thanks, I think I'll make it myself : )

Yeah! I'm super excited to get him! The conure was very young, all the birds at the shop were (except for a few).

1: Echo above -- nope. nearly everything in our house gets cleaned with vinegar, but the water in the bowls/bottles is filtered tap.
2: Anodized outside, Ceramic inside, no PFAS (Teflon is a PFAS). Looks pretty bird-safe to me.
3: (Sunni's nailed it, so pressing on to more important matters)

As for name . . . Sugar -- always goes great with cinnamon ;)

When you get 'em send pics!!!
1. Cool
2. Ok, thanks for that info!
3. Yep : )
Sugar... a very sweet name! Will def. go on the list of names. Now to see if my brother (a rebellious 10-year-old who disagrees with EVERYTHING) agrees with that... :lol:

Of course I'll send pics!