• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some days, I just feel like a bird failure

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww don't feel like a bird failure :(:( Elvis has a great bird mom and I am sure he knows it. They do read us better than we read them. I know they say Galah are the easiest of the cockatoos but when we got him I felt he was far from easy and I spent many days thinking...OH GOD WHAT DID I DO...but now I can look at him and say NO FRED. And he turns away from what he was going to do. And he will do it consistently. Sometimes he will look at me and wait for me to say NO FRED LOL! Sometimes I swear we read minds! Does he do anything consistently that you ask of him? Maybe build on it...just an idea...I have never had a Goffins so don't know what you're up against. I know they're like a little tornado...if I had one I would name him Taz, for the tazmanian devil lol!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Awww don't feel like a bird failure :(:( Elvis has a great bird mom and I am sure he knows it. They do read us better than we read them. I know they say Galah are the easiest of the cockatoos but when we got him I felt he was far from easy and I spent many days thinking...OH GOD WHAT DID I DO...but now I can look at him and say NO FRED. And he turns away from what he was going to do. And he will do it consistently. Sometimes he will look at me and wait for me to say NO FRED LOL! Sometimes I swear we read minds! Does he do anything consistently that you ask of him? Maybe build on it...just an idea...I have never had a Goffins so don't know what you're up against. I know they're like a little tornado...if I had one I would name him Taz, for the tazmanian devil lol!
Thanks. I think any cockatoo is a challenge to some degree. I think Elvis is just busier than most. (And I often refer to Elvis as my Tasmanian devil. LOL.) I think one of my goals this summer is to get Elvis out more. Whether it's in his back pack or if I get him harnessed trained. Elvis is a very curious, friendly bird. I had hoped to keep him well-socialized when I got him. However, with the bites to Howie, I can't have him out around other people as I had planned when we have people over, etc. So, subsequently, he only gets handled by me. (And cassiesdad when he watches him.) I think maybe he is just getting bored.... Elvis is kind of like a kid in a way. He has something that he's obsessed with doing and then he moves on to something else. He was obsessed with his clips. Then he was obsessed with the cupboards. Then his hat, etc. Now I just have to find something else for him. Actually, my friend who is the trainer at the Aviary is making a toy for him to try playing catch with again. I'm thinking it may need to be a special thing to do though and not an every day thing like before so he doesn't get so banged up. We'll see.....

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Try a ball. MC used to roll a racquetball off a cage with/at hubby.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can also try a Kong Toy. My bare-eyed, Cody, likes to toss hers. I think she had the small sized red one. Couldn't find it and then ordered her a new one and Caleb (dog) stole it.
Keno LOVES "Shift Your Gears" (Seriously Nutz). It keeps her busy because it's not that easy to destroy. I have Sarah replace the chain with sisal.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can also try a Kong Toy. My bare-eyed, Cody, likes to toss hers. I think she had the small sized red one. Couldn't find it and then ordered her a new one and Caleb (dog) stole it.
Keno LOVES "Shift Your Gears" (Seriously Nutz). It keeps her busy because it's not that easy to destroy. I have Sarah replace the chain with sisal.
Are the Kong toys heavy? Someone from the rescue here also suggested that to me but whatever I use it has to be something Elvis can't hurt himself with. He likes to fly with and sometimes catch his hat in the air. And then he also rolls and does somersaults etc. So I need something that if he bangs into it with his face or crashes with it, he's not going to hurt himself.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are the Kong toys heavy? Someone from the rescue here also suggested that to me but whatever I use it has to be something Elvis can't hurt himself with. He likes to fly with and sometimes catch his hat in the air. And then he also rolls and does somersaults etc. So I need something that if he bangs into it with his face or crashes with it, he's not going to hurt himself.
I wouldn't want to see Elvis flying with the Kong and then trying to catch it. It's not ultra heavy but it's not all that light. Wouldn't want him to get hurt. Needs to stand up to dogs chewing on it. Maybe the XS size?? There's an item I ordered from Parrot Playground that has all kinds of goodies inside of it and also on the outside but it has to be fastened to the side of a cage. However, it might interest Elvis. Can't find what I ordered but this might be something fun for him: Large Double Sided Playmat Parrot Toy You can get Tiffany to customize it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't want to see Elvis flying with the Kong and then trying to catch it. It's not ultra heavy but it's not all that light. Wouldn't want him to get hurt. Needs to stand up to dogs chewing on it. Maybe the XS size?? There's an item I ordered from Parrot Playground that has all kinds of goodies inside of it and also on the outside but it has to be fastened to the side of a cage. However, it might interest Elvis. Can't find what I ordered but this might be something fun for him: Large Double Sided Playmat Parrot Toy You can get Tiffany to customize it.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Of course, the toy I just had made for him, he has no interest in. Sigh.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
May I suggest stopping by the baby aisle next time you go to the store? You'd be surprised how many colorful, lightweight toys that appeal to birds. :)

Of course, the toy I just had made for him, he has no interest in. Sigh.
Hide it from him. Kind of. Let him see you keep it with you but move it away from him when he comes over. It works for Luv Bug. :laughing13:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
May I suggest stopping by the baby aisle next time you go to the store? You'd be surprised how many colorful, lightweight toys that appeal to birds. :)

Hide it from him. Kind of. Let him see you keep it with you but move it away from him when he comes over. It works for Luv Bug. :laughing13:
Thanks! I will do both.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hey how are you doing now? Been thinking about you all :scared6::angel1:
Thank you. That's so sweet of you. We're doing okay. I'm still a bit at a loss as to what to do for Elvis. A woman I know made him a toy and he wouldn't even look at it. Literally would turn his back. :rolleyes: I tried going back to playing with paper towel rolls which he half heartedly did. He pretty much was spending all of his out of cage time shredding wood in his cupboard and was just really subdued. Saturday, a friend of Howie's unexpectedly stopped by the house and I had Elvis out. When he and Howie went to go outside, to distract Elvis so they could leave, I got out his hat. His face literally lit up. He was so happy. And started hopping, and playing and rolling. So, I guess I'm back to letting him have the hat. I'm just trying to keep him playing with it on the ground. No more playing catch from the cupboards or rolling down the stairs. It's only been a couple days. .... I'm going to test it out and see if it works. I suspect I'm going to have to take it away again, but in the meantime maybe I can figure something else out. I appreciate you asking. :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
His face literally lit up. He was so happy.
I know others will probably say you shouldn't have, but I would have tried the save thing. After seeing him light up, I couldn't have taken it away again either. e023 (1).png I hope the new limitations with it help.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know others will probably say you shouldn't have, but I would have tried the save thing. After seeing him light up, I couldn't have taken it away again either. View attachment 340585 I hope the new limitations with it help.
Thanks. It's good to know I'm not the only softie. LOL. I kept thinking Elvis would just kind of move on, but seeing how excited he was over seeing the hat again made me start to doubt myself. And the funny thing is it's not any hat. He ignores all of Howie's baseball caps that that he constantly leaves around the house. It's 'his' hat that makes him happy. I love to see Elvis hop. And as soon as he saw his hat he started hopping up and down. So adorable....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Day 4 with the hat. Not sure what to think again. He gets SO excited when he sees the hat. And just wants to play, play, play. I wasn't going to give it to him this morning but he kept opening cupboard doors and trying to toss things out- he was doing it on purpose to get me to give him his hat. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. He knows he's not allowed to do it. He normally doesn't do it. And was 100% doing it to get me to give him his hat. Which I did. (Bad I know, but I needed to get the little birds ready for the day too and leave for work.) He's fine with me touching the hat. He doesn't guard the hat or anything like that. He flies away from the hat all the time because he wants me to throw it for him. So, I'm thinking whatever nesty thing that was going on is over. I think it was just spring hormones. But am I doing anything wrong by letting him play with it? (And he plays with it like maybe 30 minutes in the morning and maybe an hour at night.) But we're quickly falling back into as soon as he gets out he wants to play with his hat. It is good exercise for him. And I am trying to keep him from rolling down the steps and just playing with it on the ground. He'll fly up to the cupboards and I'll toss it across the floor and he'll swoop down and get it. But I'm not letting him fly down with it anymore which seemed to cause the crashes before. So, any thoughts? Hat or no hat? (And is his obsession normal?)

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I think modifying his hat play is a great idea. Keep trying to change the game so it's safer.

I had another thought if it gets bad again... Is it fabric you can cut? You might be able to "wean" him off of the hat if he's less interested as it gets smaller and less "hat." I don't know much, but I try to keep my crew happy. It's really awful to have to remove favorite things.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I wasn't going to give it to him this morning but he kept opening cupboard doors and trying to toss things out- he was doing it on purpose to get me to give him his hat. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. He knows he's not allowed to do it. He normally doesn't do it. And was 100% doing it to get me to give him his hat.
...not surprising...and knowing Elvis like I do, totally what I'd expect! ;)
He flies away from the hat all the time because he wants me to throw it for him. So, I'm thinking whatever nesty thing that was going on is over.
Agreed.

Elvis is a feather-ball of energy...the hat is his release for that energy. As long as you can get the hat away from him when you think play time is over, my thought is to let him continue having "hat time"!
I had another thought if it gets bad again... Is it fabric you can cut? You might be able to "wean" him off of the hat if he's less interested as it gets smaller and less "hat."
...a good idea... :yes3:

How are Elvis's tail feathers doing...are they starting to grow back?