• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some days, I just feel like a bird failure

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Thank you. That's so sweet of you. We're doing okay. I'm still a bit at a loss as to what to do for Elvis. A woman I know made him a toy and he wouldn't even look at it. Literally would turn his back. :rolleyes: I tried going back to playing with paper towel rolls which he half heartedly did. He pretty much was spending all of his out of cage time shredding wood in his cupboard and was just really subdued. Saturday, a friend of Howie's unexpectedly stopped by the house and I had Elvis out. When he and Howie went to go outside, to distract Elvis so they could leave, I got out his hat. His face literally lit up. He was so happy. And started hopping, and playing and rolling. So, I guess I'm back to letting him have the hat. I'm just trying to keep him playing with it on the ground. No more playing catch from the cupboards or rolling down the stairs. It's only been a couple days. .... I'm going to test it out and see if it works. I suspect I'm going to have to take it away again, but in the meantime maybe I can figure something else out. I appreciate you asking. :)
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. My Fred has me thrown for a loop. I had covid19 in early may and I didn't interact with Fred for a while. I have been 2 weeks trying to get back in his good graces. He's driving me crazy. I wasn't sure if something is wrong with him since he stopped eating the usual veggies he eats, even broccoli, which he likes. But he's all over the men in my house. Just really wierd about eating lately. He eats his seed mix, and his nutriberries, almonds. He doesn't even want to share my lunch which he always does! I did get him to eat some strawberries this morning. I think I am back to being the maid again! :banghead:

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. My Fred has me thrown for a loop. I had covid19 in early may and I didn't interact with Fred for a while. I have been 2 weeks trying to get back in his good graces. He's driving me crazy. I wasn't sure if something is wrong with him since he stopped eating the usual veggies he eats, even broccoli, which he likes. But he's all over the men in my house. Just really wierd about eating lately. He eats his seed mix, and his nutriberries, almonds. He doesn't even want to share my lunch which he always does! I did get him to eat some strawberries this morning. I think I am back to being the maid again! :banghead:
I'm glad you're recovering!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Day 4 with the hat. Not sure what to think again. He gets SO excited when he sees the hat. And just wants to play, play, play. I wasn't going to give it to him this morning but he kept opening cupboard doors and trying to toss things out- he was doing it on purpose to get me to give him his hat. I know that sounds crazy but it's true. He knows he's not allowed to do it. He normally doesn't do it. And was 100% doing it to get me to give him his hat. Which I did. (Bad I know, but I needed to get the little birds ready for the day too and leave for work.) He's fine with me touching the hat. He doesn't guard the hat or anything like that. He flies away from the hat all the time because he wants me to throw it for him. So, I'm thinking whatever nesty thing that was going on is over. I think it was just spring hormones. But am I doing anything wrong by letting him play with it? (And he plays with it like maybe 30 minutes in the morning and maybe an hour at night.) But we're quickly falling back into as soon as he gets out he wants to play with his hat. It is good exercise for him. And I am trying to keep him from rolling down the steps and just playing with it on the ground. He'll fly up to the cupboards and I'll toss it across the floor and he'll swoop down and get it. But I'm not letting him fly down with it anymore which seemed to cause the crashes before. So, any thoughts? Hat or no hat? (And is his obsession normal?)
Wow he's such a character! Fred is so laid back he wouldn't know what to think of Elvis! :roflmao:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The "King" was not pleased. You must start over and kiss a lot of feet but you will gain the King's grace again. Hopefully. :)

I'm glad you're feeling better. :hug8:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Nancy B

Sorry to hear you had that nasty stuff. Glad you're feeling better.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry to hear you were sick. My birds periodically need food switch ups. Elvis currently isn't eating his pellets. I just ordered a different brand. Sunny constantly would love something and then stop. I had to rotate his vegetables all the time. Maybe Fred just needs to switch things up for a bit?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Sorry to hear you were sick. My birds periodically need food switch ups. Elvis currently isn't eating his pellets. I just ordered a different brand. Sunny constantly would love something and then stop. I had to rotate his vegetables all the time. Maybe Fred just needs to switch things up for a bit?
Yes I am trying to think of what else lol. Maybe I will get some dandelion from the garden...not the lawn, because they've been treated with weed killer. Went back to spring field greens. He seems to like that. And added kale to his mixed veggies. Tried yellow squash, he dumped the bowl so I guess that was a no. Lol he's not fond of sweet potato or butternut squash. Weirdo he is! he likes carrots, used to be only roasted, now only raw. Geez like my son at 5yrs old, he's driving me nuts. What other veggies do yours like. Presuming he's bored. :banghead: :excited1:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes I am trying to think of what else lol. Maybe I will get some dandelion from the garden...not the lawn, because they've been treated with weed killer. Went back to spring field greens. He seems to like that. And added kale to his mixed veggies. Tried yellow squash, he dumped the bowl so I guess that was a no. Lol he's not fond of sweet potato or butternut squash. Weirdo he is! he likes carrots, used to be only roasted, now only raw. Geez like my son at 5yrs old, he's driving me nuts. What other veggies do yours like. Presuming he's bored. :banghead: :excited1:
Just a quick .... I'm sorry you got sick and glad you are back on the mend. God's Blessings to you!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Mockinbirdiva @iamwhoiam thank you, and everyone, for the well wishes! I got a nasty cold and the usual obnoxious cough that lingers after a cold like that. I took more time off from work and am fine now, back to work tomorrow! Fred won't like that! :roflmao: the maid won't be around when he squawks! Haha!

Last edited:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
The "King" was not pleased. You must start over and kiss a lot of feet but you will gain the King's grace again. Hopefully. :)

I'm glad you're feeling better. :hug8:
Ha! You are a character John! The King will get over it if he likes to eat! :loltears: yes he will eventually come around right after he makes sure I know how dissatisfied he was! Always does! He's already getting better...:xflove:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Elvis is tough. He doesn't like a lot of vegetables. Pretty much just red and yellow bell peppers, squash/zucchini, corn on the cob and carrots. He will also eat apples. I started feeding him freeze dried vegetables a few months ago and that seems to be working better for us. I'll get the chop mixes. He likes freeze dried sprouts too.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
red and yellow bell peppers, squash/zucchini, corn on the cob and carrots. He will also eat apples.
...that sounds just about the same as Milton's favorites....the other two likes he has (off the top of my head) are sweet potatoes/yams, and cucumbers.

He definitely thinks strawberries and bananas are mortal enemies...worthy only of being thrown at me... ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
...that sounds just about the same as Milton's favorites....the other two likes he has (off the top of my head) are sweet potatoes/yams, and cucumbers.

He definitely thinks strawberries and bananas are mortal enemies...worthy only of being thrown at me... ;)
Oh yes, Elvis thinks bananas are poison.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@cassiesdad @Sunnyside will try freeze dried veggies! He might like that! Galah are herb lovers in the wild, and see that they like greens. I have a dishwasher basket I put greens in for him. I noticed he sometimes waits for them to dry before he will touch them. So I will try dried! Hmmm...Fred loves bananas and strawberries. Apples sometimes. Loves lima beans, peas and corn. Raw carrots. Lately won't eat broccoli. Geez....won't eat yellow or red peppers...the lovebird eats anything! Little piggy! :xflove: :loltears:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Geez....won't eat yellow or red peppers...the lovebird eats anything! Little piggy! :xflove: :loltears:
...any color peppers around here are scarfed up by all as soon as they're put in their food bowls...it's always the first thing to disappear out of the chop...the tiels will try to go into Buddy's cage to steal them away from her...