• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some days, I just feel like a bird failure

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What about a second, identical hat? I wonder if it would make the first less special? Or at least confuse him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think modifying his hat play is a great idea. Keep trying to change the game so it's safer.

I had another thought if it gets bad again... Is it fabric you can cut? You might be able to "wean" him off of the hat if he's less interested as it gets smaller and less "hat." I don't know much, but I try to keep my crew happy. It's really awful to have to remove favorite things.
It is fabric. I have already removed the visor part of it. So I am not really sure why he likes it.... But that's definitely I good idea to keep shrinking it....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
...not surprising...and knowing Elvis like I do, totally what I'd expect! ;)

Agreed.

Elvis is a feather-ball of energy...the hat is his release for that energy. As long as you can get the hat away from him when you think play time is over, my thought is to let him continue having "hat time"!

...a good idea... :yes3:

How are Elvis's tail feathers doing...are they starting to grow back?
Thanks. That makes me feel better. I do hate to take away the one thing he really loves. No new tail feathers yet. I get sad every time I look at his little duck butt- like I really should have got the hat situation under control sooner. It stupidly took me awhile to realize that him playing on the stairs was what was doing the majority of the tail feather damage. He's such a little goof. He did it again today- purposely rolled down the steps with his hat. So, I think stairs are going to become completely off limits. Which is sad for me because he typically hops up the stairs which is so freaking cute.

Reactions: Ali

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What about a second, identical hat? I wonder if it would make the first less special? Or at least confuse him?
That's a good thought. Now I just have to try to find another one. LOL. I think this hat was just a cheap, free hat they gave away on a give-away night at a baseball game. Which makes me think possibly there's a second one somewhere..... :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
So, any thoughts? Hat or no hat? (And is his obsession normal?)
If you look up “OCD” in the dictionary there’s a picture of a cockatoo (looks just like Elvis). They invented the word obsessed :lol:

In think I already said this (?) but a few broken feathers isn’t the end of the world IMO but there is always a danger with those big blood ones. A fully feathered bird has protection for those feathers because the other feathers. Once a bird has lost a whole bunch (like a tail or clipped wing) those new feathers stick out like a sore thumb just ready to get broken. That is when this kind of play becomes dangerous.

We weigh the good against the bad. There’s always a compromise. Modifying the way he plays with the hat as much as you can is a good one. :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Have you tried just hanging that hat from a chain or something in the middle of a room? He can attack it or whatever but it stays in the air. No ground time.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If you look up “OCD” in the dictionary there’s a picture of a cockatoo (looks just like Elvis). They invented the word obsessed :lol:

In think I already said this (?) but a few broken feathers isn’t the end of the world IMO but there is always a danger with those big blood ones. A fully feathered bird has protection for those feathers because the other feathers. Once a bird has lost a whole bunch (like a tail or clipped wing) those new feathers stick out like a sore thumb just ready to get broken. That is when this kind of play becomes dangerous.

We weigh the good against the bad. There’s always a compromise. Modifying the way he plays with the hat as much as you can is a good one. :hug8:
That's what I'm worried about too. I think when we get to that point, the hat definitely needs to go away for awhile. I'm really nervous about those new feathers coming in because he's so crazy. I was getting the tiels' food ready this morning and Howie yelled "hurry- you need to see this." I asked what? He said, Elvis just rolled down the steps. I said- he does it all the time. He thinks it's fun...... (Howie is of course oblivious to most things that go on. LOL.) So, I worry about how I'm going to restrict him when those tail feathers start to molt out. Maybe I'll send him to stay with @cassiesdad ;) :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Have you tried just hanging that hat from a chain or something in the middle of a room? He can attack it or whatever but it stays in the air. No ground time.
I hadn't thought about that. But it's a good idea. I'll have to see if there's a way I can do that.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Maybe I'll send him to stay with @cassiesdad ;) :D
...if Elvis needs some "away" time- for any reason- he's always welcome here...I relish the challenge that Elvis brings...and I like to watch the interaction he has with our flock... ;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
...if Elvis needs some "away" time- for any reason- he's always welcome here...I relish the challenge that Elvis brings...and I like to watch the interaction he has with our flock... ;)
Thanks.:heart: It's good to know he has a place to go where he's loved. I noticed this morning that he has started molting out some floofy feathers. Not sure if that means the tail feathers are going to follow soon or not.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I noticed this morning that he has started molting out some floofy feathers. Not sure if that means the tail feathers are going to follow soon or not.
...sounds like he working on new feathers... ;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm trying to remember...Elvis isn't much on getting wet, is he?

With new floofies coming in, the water would help the process...

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm trying to remember...Elvis isn't much on getting wet, is he?

With new floofies coming in, the water would help the process...
Oh no, Elvis LOVES baths. Bath day is bath DAY. Meaning once I give him a bath, he will then take baths in his water dish though out the day. And you would be surprised how much of his body he can fit in that water dish. LOL. Our day goes something like this- I mist him. He takes another bath in his dish (I now know this so I already have papers under his cage because water is going to be everywhere.). I wipe his cage down. Change the papers both in and under his cage. I wait a bit. Refill his water dish because I'm now worried he's thirsty. He takes another bath. I rechange all the papers and rewipe the cage dry. Wait a bit. Give him more water, etc. This goes on all day...………..

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh no, Elvis LOVES baths. Bath day is bath DAY. Meaning once I give him a bath, he will then take baths in his water dish though out the day. And you would be surprised how much of his body he can fit in that water dish. LOL. Our day goes something like this- I mist him. He takes another bath in his dish (I now know this so I already have papers under his cage because water is going to be everywhere.). I wipe his cage down. Change the papers both in and under his cage. I wait a bit. Refill his water dish because I'm now worried he's thirsty. He takes another bath. I rechange all the papers and rewipe the cage dry. Wait a bit. Give him more water, etc. This goes on all day...………..
I guess Elvis loves WET! as much as Milton does. :joyful: