• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent sick budgie

vyus

Checking out the neighborhood
Just wanted to come on here and ask if anyone experienced anything similar, ill try to give as much info as possible.
some pictures have blood so dont look if youre squeamish
Breed: Budgerigar, Age: 3 years old, Not spayed, Location: UK, No Vaccinations, Lives with another bird, Length of Primary complaint: 2.5 weeks, Mediation prescribed: Doxycycline (2 weeks, finished on tuesday 26th march), Amoxicillin but administered once only because he threw up everywhere and vet advised nto to give anymore, Sex: presumed male, symptoms: irritated skin, inflamed skin, bleeding from what seems to be liek trauma to the skin, slight change to poop (mre watery) but not that much, way more sleepy past 2 days, other than that he is eating and drinking fine and coming to hang out with me as always
Primary Complaint: Initially noticed bleeding around the left ear, and slight inflammation of the left eye.
After a couple of days it was healed enough to where I could see the trauma was around the feather and he was not bleeding from the ear. after 2 days, the eye was getting more inflammed so i took him tot he vet that preascribed the meds mentioned above. He didn't react well to amoxicillin, so i did not give anymore. started the course of antibiotics. Once I came back from the vet, he swelled up even more, especially around his beak area.
He became increasingly itchy and would itch very often. After a week, went for another vet check up and they said that they are happy with his progress and he looks less swollen, and to just continue with the course of antibiotics. This was his reaction to the antibiotics, vet said he might react like this. I was getting worried and began diluting the medicine with some water, and lowering the dose by about 0.05ml, checked with the vet adn they said they are happy with this.
The bird then would start bleeding on his head and on the end of his neck, a lot and then major swelling occurred on his left wing.
It is unclear whether this is all due to itching, as he has some cuts and lots of dry skin on his head where he can't necessarily reach well.
I'm not sure what's going on with him at all...

Attachments