• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shredding/Plucking feathers

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
My one Grey has a history of plucking. The first time was when I first brought her home (fixed with love and attention) and then again last year March which resulted in vet visits that didn't make a difference, but I never did figure out the cause. We just distracted her as best we could as she kept plucking regardless and slowed down after a month or two until she stopped (she was on antibiotics that another vet gave me and that my regular vet later said wasn't needed). She has been ok since even if she still has bald spots under her wings, but today she started again and just the same as last year March she will not be distracted for long but is very unlikely sick. I'm so confused, but I do remember last year the vet telling me she was also molting although they didn't say it was the problem then. Maybe because she hadn't shredded before then. My question is if the timing of almost a year later fits in with molting now (she is 9 btw) and if so how to get her to stop? Please any help you can give, she is very aggressive in her plucking and looks uncomfortable (not as much as last year, last year she wouldn't even eat). Also how do I know if she's molting? I don't see many signs, but some feathers have fallen out by themselves among the plucked. I also found four pulled pinned feathers in her tray. She is eating and otherwise ok.

P.S. sorry only saw the plucking topic after posting this

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Would something like increasing vitamin E or A in her diet as well as increasing bathes help at all?

Birblover

Meeting neighbors
I'm very late in returning to this forum, but thank you both for your replies Macawnutz Monica
She isn't plucking currently, but I am thankful for the advice and will use it!

Last edited: