• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I get a second budgie or another bird?

Sundae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
My budgie Loui has been alone for 4 years. I recently realized that pet stores aren't who I should listen to about bird care. I am switching to pellets, and adding fresh food to Loui's diet. I am taking her out every day and hand feeding & whistling to her. Now, I am wondering, "Should I get another budgie?" Honestly I am now taking Loui out twice a day to play and do work with me so she doesn't seem that lonely, but I've read that budgies are flock animals and need social stimulation. A few other concerns I have are:

1. Loui is female so would I get a boy or girl. I don't want two girls to fight, but I really don't want to have to kill eggs or raise chicks if I get a male.

2. Would my bird pay less attention to me? I want to be able to train and have fun with my bird, and I am still earning her trust.

3. Could I get a different breed of bird? I read that the only other birds safe with budgies are Cockatiels which I don't think I want because of bird dust allergens fo my family. I would LOVE to get a green cheeked conure but they are said to be aggressive and harmful to budgies. A bigger bird would be nice so that I could harness train.

Let me know what you think!

Owned :

Loui - Budgerigar

Maybe future birds... :
and of course more budgies

- All of these pixel art birds are temporary and have been taken off the "Free Bird Pixel Art [Open]" - I assumed that since it said "Free" that I could use them temporarily but I think I will get my own soon! -

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you get another budgie, a male would be best. If the female lays eggs, you wouldn't be killing babies because it takes a few days for an embryo to develop.
To be sure that the new budgie isn't sick, you would also have to quarantine him, which would mean getting a second cage.
You also have to consider that the budgies might not like each other.

If you get a different bird, like a conure, then your budgie would still not really have a companion, since they can't live in the same cage.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
You could get a different species of bird, but I agree with DesertBird - a male budgie would be best.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope you do get another male budgie. Introduce slowly from a distance at first after a quarantine of 30 days.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
A male budgie would be best.
Perhaps if you look at rescues you could find a male in the same age range.

jomeigs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joyce
I have always had 1 budgie, but that has changed now. I got my Lutino girl, Darla, at the end of summer. She is about 6 months old now and such a feisty girl. She wants to be friends with my Green Cheek, Hershey, and she doesn't want any part of Darla. So last weekend I brought home a beautiful English baby boy. He is in quarantine in another room up stairs. Can't wait for them to meet. Right now they just talk to each other. Good luck with whatever decision you make. I would go with a male budgie :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@jomeigs could we please see photos of your birds? I adore budgies and cant have any more due to medical issues so I get my bird fixes from looking at other members birds. Thanks

jomeigs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joyce
@jomeigs could we please see photos of your birds? I adore budgies and cant have any more due to medical issues so I get my bird fixes from looking at other members birds. Thanks
Of course. I am so sorry you aren't well enough to have these magnificent babies. The Lutino is my 6 month old female named Darla and the other is my 6 week old baby English budgie named Spanky.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My heart is melting from the cuteness. I have a soft spot for EB. Did the breeder cut Spanky flight feathers? The will grow back in 8 to 10 months or so.

jomeigs

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joyce
My heart is melting from the cuteness. I have a soft spot for EB. Did the breeder cut Spanky flight feathers? The will grow back in 8 to 10 months or so.
He is my first EB. I am so in love with him!! What a sweet gentle soul. Yes, wings were cut before I brought him home.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I would caution you against getting a cockatiel as a companion. They don't always get along and budgies can beat the cr*p out of a docile cockatiel despite the size advantage. I had to seperate my bird way back when for this reason. You have gorgeous birds!!