• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

senegal bité conures toe

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
hello everyone what do you guys think of this? do you guys think is infected???
a few days ago i think on the 3th my senegal parrot flew on the cage of my couture and bit both of his feet but i only saw the left foot and didn’t seem to bad , after a day or two i saw he didn’t wanna stand on his right foot and i cheecked him and saw this! i cleaned his whole cage and sterilize it and all his perches too
he doesn’t have any pus, not liquid, i been putting coconut oil on him that’s why some pics look shinny, it looks a bit less inflamed than before but i would like to know if any of you guys have been thru this and if it’s always necessary to give them antibiotics, i live in a rural area and all the avian vets are pretty far away so idk what to do
he is eating and drinking like normal just doesn’t want to stand much on that foot
here are pics with dates
IMG_6782.jpeg IMG_6820.jpeg IMG_6933.jpeg

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That toe end looks really bad—like the tissue is kinda dead. I would think the bird does need antibiotics and I’m wondering if the toe smells really bad?

anyhow yes I would think this bird does need treatment and maybe you could even get that from any vet who is willing to see him.

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
i was actually smelling the foot and it doesn’t smell like anything like i fell it would smell like something but so far it doesn’t. i wonder if it’s just hurt badly! i’m looking for vets but they’re all booked or super far like 2-3h away
im scared he’s acting normal but still is worrying me a lot

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
It's tough to tell from photos, but it appears to be getting worse -- your guy would probably benefit from both antibiotics as well as something for the pain if he's not putting weight on it.

I'd suggest that making the drive to an avian vet would make you both feel better.

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Not much I can say about the bite. But here is a bird first aid kit I found online that might be able to help you if something like this ever happens again.

Bandage material
Bleeding emergencies often warrant the use of pressure wraps to aid in the application of direct pressure to open cuts, abrasions, and fractures. Do not apply a wrap if you are uncertain of the proper method. Most bleeding skin wounds will clot on their own or be “protected” by the bird from further injury. Good materials that won’t adhere to the plumage are vet wrap (which clings to itself like cling wrap), roll gauze, cellophane tape, and some masking tapes.

Cotton balls and swabs
Cotton swabs can help control bleeding or wet feathers to move them away from a wound. They are best for cleaning stains off of feathers and skin (such as lipstick or oils) and for swabbing out lower beaks (such as food debris in baby birds).

Disinfectant
Only use topical disinfectants on open wounds and skin. Diluted chlorhexidine and betadine are safe and effective if used away from the mouth, ear canals, and eyes. Do not use salves, ointments, petroleum jelly, or other thick or oily substances on birds without veterinary recommendation. These products may matt the plumage and prevent the bird from insulating itself.

Gauze pads
Gauze pads can also help control bleeding or clean wounds. Use only sterile pads on open wounds. Nonstick pads should be used to cover wounds. Small size pads are easier to use but may be difficult to find.

Metal nail file
Can be used to smooth a chipped beak tip or broken nails.

Penlight
Used to illuminate the injured area, check eyes, nares (openings of the nose), mouth and throat, feathers.

Phone numbers
Phone numbers are by far the most important thing any emergency kit can contain. Include your avian veterinarian's phone number and address. Also have an alternative number recorded in case your regular avian veterinarian is not available, and have the number for the closest emergency clinic that will treat birds. Numbers for Animal Poison Control Centers can also be useful.

Restraining towel or stockinette
A washcloth is good for most cockatiels, small conures, and small parakeets. Big, fluffy bath towels are good for large Amazons, macaws, and cockatoos. A stockinette is a tube of material that can be slid over the bird to hold wings still (a sock can also be used).

Scissors
Scissors are great for trimming broken, mature feathers, and cutting tape and bandage materials. It is not recommended that inexperienced bird owners trim broken, bleeding quills as the quill may bleed more profusely.

Sterile saline
Can be used to dilute disinfectants to clean wounds or flush wounds and eyes. Use as directed by your veterinarian for other purposes.

Styptic gel with applicator tip
Use to apply to very minor wounds and a bleeding feather, toenail, or beak. Do not use for deep wounds or serious bleeding. Avoid using styptic powders, which may be toxic if swallowed.

Syringe
A 3-milliliter syringe without a needle can be used to flush small wounds with water or dilute disinfectant and also to “syringe feed” a bird that will not eat. It is strongly recommended not to force feed a bird unless specifically instructed to do so by your avian veterinarian. Many birds will inhale food into the lungs if fed in this manner and this may cause respiratory infections.

Tweezers or hemostat
Used to remove debris from wounds, remove splinters and ticks, and untangle string wound around small feet.

https://www.addtoany.com/share#url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.merckvetmanual.com%2Fmultimedia%2Ftable%2Ffirst-aid-kit-for-pet-birds&title=Injuries%20and%20Accidents%20of%20Pet%20Birds%20-%20Bird%20Owners%20-%20Merck%20Veterinary%20Manual

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I totally understand the issue of living in a rural area with no nearby avian vet as I usually have to travel 2- 3 hrs one way to the vet for my birds and I really hate to say it, but, in all fairness I do think the best and only option you have for helping your bird in a way that makes a difference is to get proper treatment for your birds foot from a vet who can give you the correct meds- it looks swollen, infected, sore and very possibly necrotic.

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
Guys i’m sooooooo stressed i called and THE ONLY VET THAT SEEES PARROTS IS IN VACATION FOR A WEEK and i called all the other clinics and they told me they don’t see parrots so i really don’t know what to do! i’m so frustrated that there’s no more parrot vets like why is there only one?
also was wondering if i should put him some polysporin? for the mean time
will he die in a week?? idk i’m just over thinking everythinh

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry this happened all you can do for now until the vet gets back is keep it clean and watch :hug8:

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Worst case scenario he may lose his toe, unlikely that he will die in a week unless it gets horribly infected. If you can get some Silver sulfadiazine (silvadene) cream that is typically what is recommended for birds on wounds which may help prevent the infection from getting worse until you can see a vet.

When my bird injured her toe my vet recommended hydrocolloid bandages to wrap the open wound. I would put a thin layer of SS cream on the toe, then cut a small piece of hydrocolloid bandage, enough to enclose the toe like a taco. It's sticky so should stick to itself after "tacoing" the toe.

My vet recommended the bandage duoderm:
DuoDERM Extra Thin CGF Hydrocolloid 4"x4" Sterile Self-Adhesive Dressing for Management of Lightly Exuding Wounds, Flexible, Latex-Free, Beige, 187955, Box of 10 https://a.co/d/hl4UKYx

Attachments

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
Thank you so much! yesterday i put polysporin on him and it helped so much! like now he’s healing from one side and the toe is looking way less swollen! he looks good and more active today, so i’m really hopping that it heals! he’s using more the feet and standing up on it and everything
i tried to stayed literally not putting my eyes anywhere but on and makeing sure that he won’t eat it

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
AMAZING NEWS THIS IS JUT TAKEN FROM TODAY AND LOOK AT THIS!!! i’m so happy his foot didn’t die :’v i didnt wanna mutilate him :’p I PUT POLYSPORIN WITH 3 ANTIBIOTICS and he is sooo much better he’s already walking on his cage like nothing! he hates when i grab him:p i find it better to grab him with kitchen towels so his nails won’t get stuck on the material :-( thank you everyone that gave me advice

Attachments

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
AMAZING NEWS THIS IS JUT TAKEN FROM TODAY AND LOOK AT THIS!!! i’m so happy his foot didn’t die :’v i didnt wanna mutilate him :’p I PUT POLYSPORIN WITH 3 ANTIBIOTICS and he is sooo much better he’s already walking on his cage like nothing! he hates when i grab him:p i find it better to grab him with kitchen towels so his nails won’t get stuck on the material :-( thank you everyone that gave me advice
Wow, youcan barely tell something happened to his toe!!! So glad he is doing better!

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
Thank you everyone that cared and gave me advice!!! now my senegal parrot is super jealous and bitter at me for giving all the attention to my gcc she’s even going to my husband when he normally hates him and she’s acting like i dont love her anymore so i took them both out and gave them some nice snacks to make sure she knew i loved her still

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Tell her she shouldn’t bite her brothers toe or he’ll get more attention than her.

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
Tell her she shouldn’t bite her brothers toe or he’ll get more attention than her.
hahahaha i did!! i wish she could understand she just bit me yesterday on the exact same spot she bit her brother right in the side of my nail she’s hormonal i guess cuz there’s too much sun lately

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Not much I can say about the bite. But here is a bird first aid kit I found online that might be able to help you if something like this ever happens again.

Bandage material
Bleeding emergencies often warrant the use of pressure wraps to aid in the application of direct pressure to open cuts, abrasions, and fractures. Do not apply a wrap if you are uncertain of the proper method. Most bleeding skin wounds will clot on their own or be “protected” by the bird from further injury. Good materials that won’t adhere to the plumage are vet wrap (which clings to itself like cling wrap), roll gauze, cellophane tape, and some masking tapes.

Cotton balls and swabs
Cotton swabs can help control bleeding or wet feathers to move them away from a wound. They are best for cleaning stains off of feathers and skin (such as lipstick or oils) and for swabbing out lower beaks (such as food debris in baby birds).

Disinfectant
Only use topical disinfectants on open wounds and skin. Diluted chlorhexidine and betadine are safe and effective if used away from the mouth, ear canals, and eyes. Do not use salves, ointments, petroleum jelly, or other thick or oily substances on birds without veterinary recommendation. These products may matt the plumage and prevent the bird from insulating itself.

Gauze pads
Gauze pads can also help control bleeding or clean wounds. Use only sterile pads on open wounds. Nonstick pads should be used to cover wounds. Small size pads are easier to use but may be difficult to find.

Metal nail file
Can be used to smooth a chipped beak tip or broken nails.

Penlight
Used to illuminate the injured area, check eyes, nares (openings of the nose), mouth and throat, feathers.

Phone numbers
Phone numbers are by far the most important thing any emergency kit can contain. Include your avian veterinarian's phone number and address. Also have an alternative number recorded in case your regular avian veterinarian is not available, and have the number for the closest emergency clinic that will treat birds. Numbers for Animal Poison Control Centers can also be useful.

Restraining towel or stockinette
A washcloth is good for most cockatiels, small conures, and small parakeets. Big, fluffy bath towels are good for large Amazons, macaws, and cockatoos. A stockinette is a tube of material that can be slid over the bird to hold wings still (a sock can also be used).

Scissors
Scissors are great for trimming broken, mature feathers, and cutting tape and bandage materials. It is not recommended that inexperienced bird owners trim broken, bleeding quills as the quill may bleed more profusely.

Sterile saline
Can be used to dilute disinfectants to clean wounds or flush wounds and eyes. Use as directed by your veterinarian for other purposes.

Styptic gel with applicator tip
Use to apply to very minor wounds and a bleeding feather, toenail, or beak. Do not use for deep wounds or serious bleeding. Avoid using styptic powders, which may be toxic if swallowed.

Syringe
A 3-milliliter syringe without a needle can be used to flush small wounds with water or dilute disinfectant and also to “syringe feed” a bird that will not eat. It is strongly recommended not to force feed a bird unless specifically instructed to do so by your avian veterinarian. Many birds will inhale food into the lungs if fed in this manner and this may cause respiratory infections.

Tweezers or hemostat
Used to remove debris from wounds, remove splinters and ticks, and untangle string wound around small feet.

AddToAny - Share
I’ve assembled a drawer of bird first aid items, and familiarized myself with those people treatments that can be used on birds. So if either of my birds has an issue, the right hand drawer under willows cage has their first aid items, except for those basic things (cotton swabs, gauze) which I keep in a cabinet in the bathroom.

crisania

Moving in
Real Name
Crisania Neri
I’ve assembled a drawer of bird first aid items, and familiarized myself with those people treatments that can be used on birds. So if either of my birds has an issue, the right hand drawer under willows cage has their first aid items, except for those basic things (cotton swabs, gauze) which I keep in a cabinet in the bathroom.
yeeeesss now i bought another cream to have it aside in case anything happens again, i have some gauzes and i’ll buy some saline solution to clean them if this ever happens again, it shouldn’t cuz i’m making sure they’re never alone and free unless i’m with them!
i’m very traumatized by this cuz i tought he could get infected or need to get amputated and die with anestesia

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Silver cream is excellent, but that is extra amazing response to it! So glad!

I put acrylic on top of all my cages . I don't remember how your bite happened. But never let a free bird land in a caged birds cage while one is inside. Even best friend will bite ties off

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Worst case scenario he may lose his toe, unlikely that he will die in a week unless it gets horribly infected. If you can get some Silver sulfadiazine (silvadene) cream that is typically what is recommended for birds on wounds which may help prevent the infection from getting worse until you can see a vet.

When my bird injured her toe my vet recommended hydrocolloid bandages to wrap the open wound. I would put a thin layer of SS cream on the toe, then cut a small piece of hydrocolloid bandage, enough to enclose the toe like a taco. It's sticky so should stick to itself after "tacoing" the toe.

My vet recommended the bandage duoderm:
DuoDERM Extra Thin CGF Hydrocolloid 4"x4" Sterile Self-Adhesive Dressing for Management of Lightly Exuding Wounds, Flexible, Latex-Free, Beige, 187955, Box of 10 https://a.co/d/hl4UKYx
Excellent help !!!! How wonderful you shared this