• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Screaming angry new cockatiel help

careaux

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caroline
Hello! I recently purchased 2 baby cockatiels at 4 months. They are about 5 months old now. Have had them for 6 weeks now. One is very attached to me (Maui) and very sweet. The other is pretty sassy and we can’t get him to stop biting and hissing (Jojo). Sometimes he will step up no problem but most times he wants to do his own thing in his cage. Lately he’s been screaming very loud, it’s piercing my ears. Any advice on how to stop the screaming? I will link a YouTube video (unlisted) to show the screaming. Video-> August 27, 2022

It’s possible the breeder assistant handled him rough as a baby and he’s doesn’t like hands etc. I saw the way she handled when I brought them by again to get some things. Maui was raised by the main breeder lady. Any tips or ideas on why Jojo is acting this way? Thanks!!

by the way, they have huge flight cage with tons of toys.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Welcome to the forum.
we can’t get him to stop biting and hissing (Jojo)
When does he bite, what leads up to a bite, what is your reaction to a bite?

Sometimes he will step up no problem but most times he wants to do his own thing in his cage.
What do you do when he won't step up, and what do you do when he wants to be left in his cage?

The video sounds like a happy busy cockatiel to me, not screaming.

careaux

Real Name
Caroline
When he bites or won’t step up I just leave him alone. Usually he will step up if we have millet so we try that training. Thanks for advice. I was worried it was angry chatter but a lot of times it does sound like normal chirping! He just gets so loud sometimes I got worried if he was mad about something I was doing

careaux

Real Name
Caroline
Welcome to the forum.

When does he bite, what leads up to a bite, what is your reaction to a bite?

What do you do when he won't step up, and what do you do when he wants to be left in his cage?

The video sounds like a happy busy cockatiel to me, not screaming.
When he bites or won’t step up I just leave him alone. Usually he will step up if we have millet so we try that training. Thanks for advice. I was worried it was angry chatter but a lot of times it does sound like normal chirping! He just gets so loud sometimes I got worried if he was mad about something I was doing

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
He's still new to you and they're individuals, so their personalities will differ -- give them time to emerge at their own pace and as they will.

We build healthy relationships by earning their trust. If we're asking for a step-up and they're clearly showing/telling you they don't want to step up through their body language, we're eroding trust by ignoring their communication and choice by forcing them to do what we want, rather than respecting their choice about what they want. Force erodes trust, while allowing choice builds and maintains trust. It's great that you're leaving him when he doesn't want to step up. If you're not already doing so, pay close attention to their body language so you can see if he wants to step up or not before he bites. Bites from birds are often their last resort when we haven't understood their more subtle attempts at communication.

Training with millet is great as a reward, and when your relationship is stronger, simply being with you can be reward enough for the same step-up.

If they're not in danger, let your birds make their own choices and they'll develop a healthy trusting relationship with you, plus they'll be comfortable and at ease in their home.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like a happy bird to me- no screaming in that video...

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I thought that was happy chirping. @flyzipper gave you good advice. I can only ditto what he said. Patience is a virtue. :p

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Sounds happy to me too! :dancing: