• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safest way to purchase a new friend??

Malibu9

Moving in
So, I am hearing mixed opinions on the safest method to use for putting a deposit down on a baby and then paying the rest at pick up time. I have heard don't do the friends and family option (as you can't get money back if it happens to be a scam), so only use the business option. I have wondered if it would be safer to do a money order through the post office maybe?

Also, I am wondering if it is considered scam like if the breeder won't let you visit the aviary? I'm told its to keep down germs/disease to a minimum. My final question is what is a fair price in KY for an eclectus. I had been stuck between grey and eclectic, but I think an ekkie is what my heart truly desire( yes I know they are intense in the food/mess category). My purchase won't be until next spring most likely unless a bunch of people on the wait list I'm on say they will pass. I'm in no rush, and I believe I am #6. Thanks for all your help!

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
When I ask for a deposit I always do it via paypal so I have records of it and they do as well. Also if anything goes wrong then paypal can help fix the issue that comes up, for the most part.

I do not let people come into where the babies are being taken care of nor do I let them see the parents because it is a disease and bacteria risk. It also stresses out my Lovebirds when they see new people coming in and out to look at them and there is a chance for them to abandon the babies or eggs if it becomes too much for them. However, I always let the new owners come to visit the baby. I bring the baby out to the living room where they can play with the baby etc and when they are done I put the baby back in with his/her siblings. I would insist on seeing the baby face to face before making a purchase.

As for a fair price, I am not sure. Here are some Eclectus prices in the US: Eclectus for Sale

Malibu9

Moving in
The breeder says he will bring the baby to a designated public meeting place to meet the baby before accepting any deposit to be sure I like the baby and more importantly if he likes me. The breeder is asking 1600 and another breeder I spoke to was asking 2200. He said he accepts PayPal business option. Thanks for your helpful reply! Ive only adopted from CL so I was worried.

Malibu9

Moving in
I know everyone wants a baby but I would like to ask that you consider a rehome for an Eclectus. There are so many out there that need rehoming.
I have looked on CL for awhile for a rehome with no luck. My conure is and I love him to bits.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Honestly, I don't think I would accept just meeting at a public place. It is wise to see the environment the bird is coming from Ekkies take longer to wean and its a risk also. I have seen birds in some deplorable conditions and even called to report people.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
In the last month several Ekkie people have by chance seen ads on CL for Ekkies living in obvious neglect weather intentional or out of ignorance. The people that found the ads took up money to get those Ekkies into a safe and healthy environment.

Malibu9

Moving in
Honestly, I don't think I would accept just meeting at a public place. It is wise to see the environment the bird is coming from Ekkies take longer to wean and its a risk also. I have seen birds in some deplorable conditions and even called to report people.
It is definitely the only real concern I had. I am not sure if I can drop the breeder name on here or not, but They are in ky.