• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Humidifier?

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
I've been using Levoit humidifiers. I had bought two at almost $90 each. They had an auto turn off when empty, hot or cold mist, desired humidity shut off, held 6 liters each, etc. When they worked, they worked amazing. Then they both died 3 months in so I'm done with them.

I'm looking now for humidifiers that are bird safe. I know many of the Vicks models contain Teflon.

What does everyone use?

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
I have no need for a humidifier here in the UK.
But could you place in strategic area wide topped bowls you could put water in which would put moisture in the atmosphere. Just a thought.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Venta airwasher.
you can bleach it to clean completely
no filters to buy, no heat, no PTFE, no "dust" emitted like the ultrasonic
if you turn it off for a week because of high humidity, it doesn't ruin a filter by drying it out and stuff doesn't grow like crazy on the filter.
I'm in Colorado so I have to use them pretty much year round 24-7

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
I have no need for a humidifier here in the UK.
But could you place in strategic area wide topped bowls you could put water in which would put moisture in the atmosphere. Just a thought.
Unfortunately, that won't work for me. I have forced heating that drops the humidity to barely 20%. It is beyond dry. Even cool mist humidifiers can't keep up. I have to use warm mist. I ran 2 simultaneously, each containing 6 liters, and they would keep it about 40% humidity. For reference, I was putting 24 liters of water in the air a day to maintain 40% humidity in a 700 sq foot house.

I do keep humidity trays for my plants, though, on top of the humidifiers to keep them tip top. It's just not enough by itself.

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
Venta airwasher.
you can bleach it to clean completely
no filters to buy, no heat, no PTFE, no "dust" emitted like the ultrasonic
if you turn it off for a week because of high humidity, it doesn't ruin a filter by drying it out and stuff doesn't grow like crazy on the filter.
I'm in Colorado so I have to use them pretty much year round 24-7
Yes, I won't use a humidifier with a filter. They harbor so much bacteria. The Levoits I had didn't have a filter either, and I vinegared them once a week and wiped them out thoroughly with each refill. Never had an issue.

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
This is my remaining Levoit on its last leg. This has been my favorite of all humidifiers I've had, and it mists like crazy. I will look into all the links shared and see what I can find. If I can't find one that meets my criteria, I may search for the same model I have from a different seller. I bought mine from Amazon so maybe elsewhere will have better life expectancy.

Attachments

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ugh, this all makes me so anxious. We have two pretty high end cool mist humidifiers, but historically we have not been great about keeping them clean. I was going to do the hydrogen peroxide deep clean on them, but now thinking I need to just replace the one that is in the living room/near Waffle's cage. It was something very fancy we bought at the Sharper Image before Waffle came along. I can't even find it online so unclear on the details.
In addition to the humans dealing with super dry skin, poor birdie has been bathing multiple times a day this week!

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I tried one of the ultrasonic ones. Within a week, even using the expensive cartridge you have to buy to prevent it, I had white coating everything.
Tried again and it only lasted another week.
Donated to my vet for her pet charity sale.

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
Ugh, this all makes me so anxious. We have two pretty high end cool mist humidifiers, but historically we have not been great about keeping them clean. I was going to do the hydrogen peroxide deep clean on them, but now thinking I need to just replace the one that is in the living room/near Waffle's cage. It was something very fancy we bought at the Sharper Image before Waffle came along. I can't even find it online so unclear on the details.
In addition to the humans dealing with super dry skin, poor birdie has been bathing multiple times a day this week!
I use vinegar to clean mine weekly and never had an issue. I wipe it out thoroughly between each use too. I would recommend if yours have a filter to get rid of it. People keep saying to get humidifiers with filters to filter out mold spores, but they harbor so much bacteria and go bad quickly. I had models with filters and they all became so disgusting so fast that I got rid of them. I won't risk my birds with a filter. As long as they're regularly and thoroughly cleaned, I believe they're safer than the filter route.

Also, I have experimented with cool mist versus hot mist and I back hot mist 100%. Cool mist doesn't even take the edge off in my home. My sun conure became so dry he was picking and itching until his chest bled. I bought a hot mist (the ones I'm replacing now) and he was done itching that day. It sounds like your humidifier isn't doing a good job or you're using it for a space too large for it to humidify.

If youre in doubt, you can't go wrong with a new replacement.

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
I tried one of the ultrasonic ones. Within a week, even using the expensive cartridge you have to buy to prevent it, I had white coating everything.
Tried again and it only lasted another week.
Donated to my vet for her pet charity sale.
That seems to be a recurring issue for a lot of people. Thankfully I've never had that issue with mine. I would have gotten rid of it immediately too.

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I'm not sure if it does or not. I would contact the manufacturer and ask if it contains any nonstick or Teflon coating on any surface in the humidifier.
Thanks! Since they are based in So Cal I am betting they are Teflon-free, but I will call them tomorrow to be 100% sure. :)

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Thanks! Since they are based in So Cal I am betting they are Teflon-free, but I will call them tomorrow to be 100% sure. :)
Just curious if you ever found out on this model! Was eyeing it myself and considering buying one too.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I did!! I meant to report back. I called the manufacturer and they said it's a metal heating unit, Teflon-free. It is a really nice humidifier. It has an automatic setting where it will adjust the humidity to the ideal levels for the temperature in the house. We are very happy with it for the price, and Waffle seems happy & comfortable with it too!

Shawna

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shawna marzett
I did!! I meant to report back. I called the manufacturer and they said it's a metal heating unit, Teflon-free. It is a really nice humidifier. It has an automatic setting where it will adjust the humidity to the ideal levels for the temperature in the house. We are very happy with it for the price, and Waffle seems happy & comfortable with it too!
What is the brand that you have because I need one that warms must and all have Teflon..help I want the one you have

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
What is the brand that you have because I need one that warms must and all have Teflon..help I want the one you have
The brand is Levoit--this is the one we have!

The household, including birdie, has been very happy with it!