• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Safe Humidifier?

Laurajh12

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
laura harris
I just called Honeywell (I purchased the soothing comfort warm mist humidifier) and the representative told me definitively that no humidifier of Honeywell uses PTFE. She did say, however, that some of the room heaters do. :)

aylesworth

Checking out the neighborhood
Just a heads up, I have the 6L Levoit humidifier, have had it for a couple years and it's been working great. It's been getting cooler here and we wanted to start using the warm mist so I reached out to Levoit before doing so and here's their reply:

"Thank you for contacting our team. Our LV-600HH includes high-temperature paint around the heating element which includes Teflon. Therefore, we kindly advise only using the warm mist function at your own discretion, as this may affect your parrot."

We will be sticking with the cool mist on this one, unfortunately :)

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
Just a heads up, I have the 6L Levoit humidifier, have had it for a couple years and it's been working great. It's been getting cooler here and we wanted to start using the warm mist so I reached out to Levoit before doing so and here's their reply:

"Thank you for contacting our team. Our LV-600HH includes high-temperature paint around the heating element which includes Teflon. Therefore, we kindly advise only using the warm mist function at your own discretion, as this may affect your parrot."

We will be sticking with the cool mist on this one, unfortunately :)
Hi, Teflon starts fuming @ 260°C (500°F). This makes total sense when so many have used the product on hit steem without consequences.
Levoit just got back to and answerd my question:

Luisa
(Levoit)
Dec 10, 2020, 12:03 PM PST
Hello Azor,
Thank you for reaching back out to our team. The humidifier reaches 64.4 degrees Celcius at its highest temperature. We hope this information helpful!
Please feel free to contact our team if you have any questions.
Best Regards,
Luisa

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Venta airwasher.
you can bleach it to clean completely
no filters to buy, no heat, no PTFE, no "dust" emitted like the ultrasonic
if you turn it off for a week because of high humidity, it doesn't ruin a filter by drying it out and stuff doesn't grow like crazy on the filter.
I'm in Colorado so I have to use them pretty much year round 24-7
My brand new levoit has a Teflon coated atomization chip. I need one ASAP and so venta is ptfe free? even the latest model?

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
My brand new levoit has a Teflon coated atomization chip. I need one ASAP and so venta is ptfe free? even the latest model?
You mean the heating element where you put the aroma pad on? I don’t know which model you have. But if you don’t use it it’s not dangerous

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
There is no heater in it. Just a plastic vented drum to carry water past a fan to evaporate. PTFE would decrease the efficiency of the paddles to lift water up to evaporate.
I have the older models, but I can't imagine why they'd use PTFE.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
There is no heater in it. Just a plastic vented drum to carry water past a fan to evaporate. PTFE would decrease the efficiency of the paddles to lift water up to evaporate.
I have the older models, but I can't imagine why they'd use PTFE.
Thanks. Is it hard to clean?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You mean the heating element where you put the aroma pad on? I don’t know which model you have. But if you don’t use it it’s not dangerous
thanks! The atomization chip is used for breaking up the water into fine drops. My only concern is the humidifier catches fire,

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Thanks. Is it hard to clean?
well, as you could imagine, it is not practical to clean each of the blades on the drum individually.
I don't use the additives. I sometimes use some F10 in the water. mostly, water is added daily but I do a complete water change every other day, and about once a month I fill with bleach solution and run it outside for 30 minutes then rinse well. This would not be too easy to do with the largest model. (they have a service you can send it in and they have a giant sonicator to clean it if you want)
I also wipe down the fan, and blow canned air into the motor part for dust.
I've tried cleaning other types and I feel best about this one because I can bleach it as often as I want.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
thanks! The atomization chip is used for breaking up the water into fine drops. My only concern is the humidifier catches fire,
You do know that basically any fire in your home will release toxic gases PTFE is not the only "fluorocarbon" out there, its everywhere . It is even in the dust in your apartment.
A cool mist humidifier is way more safe then any other machine that gets hot. even Levoit with "hot mist" are not dangers, the temperatures are not enough to release dangers "fumes". And any device that malfunctions and catches fire will kill your bird.

If it is made of plastic it contains something that will kill your if it caches fire. After TONS of reading this is my conclusion.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You do know that basically any fire in your home will release toxic gases PTFE is not the only "fluorocarbon" out there, its everywhere . It is even in the dust in your apartment.
A cool mist humidifier is way more safe then any other machine that gets hot. even Levoit with "hot mist" are not dangers, the temperatures are not enough to release dangers "fumes". And any device that malfunctions and catches fire will kill your bird.

If it is made of plastic it contains something that will kill your if it caches fire. After TONS of reading this is my conclusion.
This is exactly what my partner said. In any case I don’t use the heating option. Thanks

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
i have researched this a lot, basically any cold mist humidifier is ok. All contain some dangerous element, so if machine catch fire its very bad. Teflon need to get very hot befor fuming.
Levoit told me all of their machines had teflon. That,s not the dangerous part tho..
Go with cool mist!

Joe Henderson

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Joe Henderson
Wait what the levoit has teflon? Alot of people on here use that one including me