• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sad, my prized boy has a tumor ** GREAT NEWS! Pathology UPDATE**

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Wishing you all the best. That's a gorgeous Sheltie.
He's my heart! The burning desire that he had to be mine was insane after seeing his shelter picture. He was already sprung from there. The listing was out of date. Luckily, the rescue who pulled him also listed him on petfinder.

Timing was right and fate made him mine to cherish. He may be 11 or 12, but I don't give up easily if the quality and prognosis is good, my pockets run deep for the prized furry and feathered possessions within reason. ;)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh dear... I'm wishing him all of God's Blessings with a positive outcome. He's a beautiful boy and so fortunate to have you as his caretaker. It's been many years since I've been to NC state veterinary school with our boy Jesse to have his sight restored. It was a great experience for us. I have a friend here who went through chemo with her Sheltie. She took him somewhere in Charleston and he did well with it. I think he was nine at the time.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh dear... I'm wishing him all of God's Blessings with a positive outcome. He's a beautiful boy and so fortunate to have you as his caretaker. It's been many years since I've been to NC state veterinary school with our boy Jesse to have his sight restored. It was a great experience for us. I have a friend here who went through chemo with her Sheltie. She took him somewhere in Charleston and he did well with it. I think he was nine at the time.
I am fortunate to have them nearby. The good thing is my mobile Vet is awesome with sending in a referral to go there. I have total confidence with this school.

I am sure advances have been made with the last 19 years since facing this again.

Thank you ALL for the kind words, love and support. Means so much, and I know that whatever it takes to give us more time, to be happy and healthy will be done whatever the outcome he comes before me.

That's what loving a pet is. He's the sweetest boy, and his happiness and quality of life comes first.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I am hoping it isn't aggressive. My first sheltie had a tumor in the same area. Same lump feeling like a golfball. We did surgery to remove in June and by Dec he was gone due to renal failure, along with multi organs that looked bad.

I pray, if it's not something we can remove, I am onboard to loving him for the time we have.

I am realistic when it comes to these things. I will take one step at a time. First to see the grade of tumor, and weigh our options as to treatment. I love him so!

We haven't been together long enough!
Made me tear up man!! I really have a soft spot for shelties. My favorite dog!!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cappy has such soulful eyes. Such a sweet face. Holding him close in prayer that his cytology returns as being benign.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Made me tear up man!! I really have a soft spot for shelties. My favorite dog!!
Me too! My life breed, I love this breed so much and he's my 3rd Sheltie, but first adopted Sheltie making him more special that we could allow him to learn to be a very happy and well cared for boy!

Cappy has such soulful eyes. Such a sweet face. Holding him close in prayer that his cytology returns as being benign.
Thank you! Right now, the Vet used the word alarming as to what she saw, now we wait to see what the real story is and take it from there. He is the purest of sweetness and that face just says it all to my heart!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Cappy is an absolutely gorgeous boy. Sending all our love hugs and prayers for him to be well. :heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Thank you all, I will weigh my options as to what to do.

Right now, my thoughts are to consult with NC State regardless of the grade of this tumor. I would rather pay a consult fee to pick the brain and ask all the questions I have as to treat and follow up, or leave him to be.

Right now, I kiss him as much as I can and love on him.

He is my Shadow. :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Not the news I wanted to hear. The tumor is malignant. They are unsure if it's carcinoma, or sarcoma.

I have asked for a referral to NC State to atleast see what my options are. I know tissue would need to be removed to identify the type of cancer.

Or full removal. Without knowing what kind or is, we can't know if it has spread to the lymph nodes. I hate this!!

His age, another factor. He was slated to be 6 or 7 July 2014. I will have had him 6 years in August. He can be 12 or 13 now. Anyway, I have to weigh my options, but regardless I want to go to the Vet school for helping me come to the right decision.

Ugh, so damn sad about this!

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm sorry.

Great idea to have them check this out. There are all types of cancer. Prayers up that they can do something for him.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I’m so sorry about the diagnosis. Sending prayers Cappy’s way.
:sadhug2: