• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sad, my prized boy has a tumor ** GREAT NEWS! Pathology UPDATE**

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Change of plans. Since Palm Beach County has a curfew, and the beaches and parks are closed, on hold til April.

But it all depends on NC State seeing my dog and perhaps surgery. If he has surgery he can still go with me. As for any chemo or treatment, might have to hold off.

But the real world job called and we are closed with pay until 4/1

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
An update because I can no longer sit around and wait! I have reached out to a Veterinarian whom I have known for more than 12 years. She has been a loyal Customer, following me between carriers and comes to me and me only with her Family when they need new equipment. I have never in all the years mixed Business with her using her or her practice.

Since I have had the appt at NC State, I simply cannot sit around and wait until the 7th of April. The NC Hospital Assn is begging the Governor to place a shelter at home order.

So I sent her a text tonight. She replied right away. I emailed the cytology to her and she called me. She also is a graduate of NC State and she owns this practice with other Vets on her staff. I trust in her, but never before wanted to mix my biz with her. But I have found that when you really need someone, someone who cares about animals and someone I know it was time to ask her for help. She was surprised I have a referral for State because she knew they were no longer accepting them. With the risk of Shelter at Home, I just cannot wait while this tumor grows.

She is like me, doesn't sugar coat anything. When I said the report didn't state what kind of cancer, I mentioned mast and she said that would have been told if it was.

She will be in tomorrow, and we her words were it has to come off and do you want me to take it off. So now I hope to get my boy in this week for removal of this tumor. I asked about follow up to possible chemo if it could happen via oral meds and I was told yes. I am home until 4/1 so this time would be best and the right decision. Sometimes you have to look at the reality and go with mixing the personal and business and I am glad I reached out to her.

:) I will update on the date my sweet boy goes in for surgery maybe as early as Weds.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Miss Claire, Cancer sucks there isn't any better way to say it... I lost my fur babies to a few types over the years. I'm so sorry that you & your flock, & family are fighting it. My thoughts are w/ you & Cappy! From my home to yours :sadhug:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Miss Claire, Cancer sucks there isn't any better way to say it... I lost my fur babies to a few types over the years. I'm so sorry that you & your flock, & family are fighting it. My thoughts are w/ you & Cappy! From my home to yours :sadhug:
Thank you! I know it does and I am putting forth my valiant effort in what's best for my sweet boy.

I just cannot sit here day after day waiting. Waiting to see if we get the consult. Then wait again for weeks for surgery?

So I had to reach out to Maria. I have my upmost trust in her. She's been loyal to me for years and trusts me.

So time to pay that trust back for me personally and professionally. I know she will get him in asap. They are a very busy practice. I am not one to look for any favors, but the circumstances are just so necessary with the timing of this.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up. I truly understand.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
She just sent me a text asking if he was fasted. I was up early and fed them all at 6:00

She said it will be tomorrow but they have to see what clients are still coming in. Some procedures are long so maybe tomorrow. Could have been today, I wish I didn't get up and feed them. :(

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I'm glad your not waiting any longer. My thoughts are with you and your sweet boy . I hope the prognosis comes back as, not to aggressive and manageable .

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I'm glad your not waiting any longer. My thoughts are with you and your sweet boy . I hope the prognosis comes back as, not to aggressive and manageable .
Thank you ;) if chemo is an option as a secondary method to rid him of this, I will go for a round or two.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Dr. Mendoza just texted me. I called her and we are set to drop off at 10 am.

He's in her hands and she will be removing the tumor tomorrow. Pathology will be sent out and we will go from there as to the course of treatment maybe thereafter.

Woo. Atleast he has me off to be home with him until next week. But we also may not be going back to work if the Governor orders a stay at home order.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Dr. Mendoza just texted me. I called her and we are set to drop off at 10 am.

He's in her hands and she will be removing the tumor tomorrow. Pathology will be sent out and we will go from there as to the course of treatment maybe thereafter.

Woo. Atleast he has me off to be home with him until next week. But we also may not be going back to work if the Governor orders a stay at home order.
Good this vet is taking action on this . Keep us posted

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I know it's a scary thing but at the same time it's great this will be done now rather than later. I too, will be sending positive thoughts and prayers for your beautiful boy and many more years of loving on him!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Good this vet is taking action on this . Keep us posted
I am very fortunate she acted on this as quickly as she did. We have a very long biz relationship of 12 years and I think due to the criticalness of the situation, and the possible shelter at home coming she was willing to help as soon as she could. I appreciate this so much. I will probably send her something.
I know it's a scary thing but at the same time it's great this will be done now rather than later. I too, will be sending positive thoughts and prayers for your beautiful boy and many more years of loving on him!
It is, I feel bad that my beautiful boy will be subject to this. But he's my most precious one. He isn't old in my eyes! He might be 11 or 12 maybe going on 13. Regardless, he's healthy, and deserves a chance to continue being my happy little guy. You are right, years of loving on him if this can happen! I just hope they don't have to shave off alot of his coat in that area.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I am very fortunate she acted on this as quickly as she did. We have a very long biz relationship of 12 years and I think due to the criticalness of the situation, and the possible shelter at home coming she was willing to help as soon as she could. I appreciate this so much. I will probably send her something.

It is, I feel bad that my beautiful boy will be subject to this. But he's my most precious one. He isn't old in my eyes! He might be 11 or 12 maybe going on 13. Regardless, he's healthy, and deserves a chance to continue being my happy little guy. You are right, years of loving on him if this can happen! I just hope they don't have to shave off alot of his coat in that area.
It's been a month or almost a month since you discovered the lump and he's still going strong. Hold out for optimism that this is a contained growth.

With my standard poodle Jesse, one day he started to limp a little. He would jump up to get out of the way ( always laying in a pathway) and I thought he might have sprained his wrist. When he was a bit younger he would tear through the house when I would bring him back in to get to the livingroom where my hubby was and sometimes he would fall making the turn to the hallway and hit the wall. Clumsy. As he got older he had a fear of turning corners and would try to race from one room to the other so I put rubber mats down to give him some grip and confidence. After a few days I ended up taking him to the vet for an xray. They saw a fracture in the bone with disintegrating bone around it. He was 12, they felt like it would be too aggressive to do a bone biopsy so they put him on antibiotics for three weeks just in case it was a bone infection... but probably not. When they saw the xray they also did a chest xray without asking us. His chest was clear. Four weeks later I took him back for repeat xrays. There was no change in the bone in the leg.... but a staggering change in a new chest xray. His lungs were opaque... filled with cancer. His cancer was so aggressive in such a short period of time. He was still eating, still a happy boy and I couldn't talk my hubby into taking him in to be put to sleep. Each day that passed, he ate less until he wouldn't. He was breathing heavier. He still couldn't part with his boy... until a week after that last vet appointment Jesse went into a full seizure at 3:00 am. We stayed up with him knowing he was dying, waiting for the vet office to open so we could take him and end it faster. Jesse was not conscious while we put him in a big sheet to carry him out to the car. They took us in right away and put him to rest. We hugged and loved on him there, I kissed his face even after he was gone. We chose to take him with us and stopped at a place that did pet cremation. I've never left a pet behind at the vet.

So, to end my story, I have hopes for your Cappy boy to do well with his surgery because he's doing so well now. I know you'll be a bundle of nerves waiting for the surgery to be over. I believe you have an Angel helping you and Cappy. You know, the Higher Powers guided you to call her and ask for help. Have faith.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
It's been a month or almost a month since you discovered the lump and he's still going strong. Hold out for optimism that this is a contained growth.

With my standard poodle Jesse, one day he started to limp a little. He would jump up to get out of the way ( always laying in a pathway) and I thought he might have sprained his wrist. When he was a bit younger he would tear through the house when I would bring him back in to get to the livingroom where my hubby was and sometimes he would fall making the turn to the hallway and hit the wall. Clumsy. As he got older he had a fear of turning corners and would try to race from one room to the other so I put rubber mats down to give him some grip and confidence. After a few days I ended up taking him to the vet for an xray. They saw a fracture in the bone with disintegrating bone around it. He was 12, they felt like it would be too aggressive to do a bone biopsy so they put him on antibiotics for three weeks just in case it was a bone infection... but probably not. When they saw the xray they also did a chest xray without asking us. His chest was clear. Four weeks later I took him back for repeat xrays. There was no change in the bone in the leg.... but a staggering change in a new chest xray. His lungs were opaque... filled with cancer. His cancer was so aggressive in such a short period of time. He was still eating, still a happy boy and I couldn't talk my hubby into taking him in to be put to sleep. Each day that passed, he ate less until he wouldn't. He was breathing heavier. He still couldn't part with his boy... until a week after that last vet appointment Jesse went into a full seizure at 3:00 am. We stayed up with him knowing he was dying, waiting for the vet office to open so we could take him and end it faster. Jesse was not conscious while we put him in a big sheet to carry him out to the car. They took us in right away and put him to rest. We hugged and loved on him there, I kissed his face even after he was gone. We chose to take him with us and stopped at a place that did pet cremation. I've never left a pet behind at the vet.

So, to end my story, I have hopes for your Cappy boy to do well with his surgery because he's doing so well now. I know you'll be a bundle of nerves waiting for the surgery to be over. I believe you have an Angel helping you and Cappy. You know, the Higher Powers guided you to call her and ask for help. Have faith.
I am sorry about your past Pup. It is never ever easy for any of us no matter what.

Finding a lump is scary. We question fatty tumor, or worse. I knew as soon as I found it, and the coloring it was not a friendly tumor. I found it mid Dec. Thinking it may be an angry cyst.

Forward into Feb, with the work schedule being crazy in Dec and Jan and me thinking in my mind of what if it is cancer? Do I subject my sweet boy to surgery? Do I let him live in peace with love and just let him be?

Yes, I had many thoughts to think through. At first, I just wanted to see if it would change, go away, open. None. So I called in my mobile Vet to do the aspiration.

The referral and appt to NC State was fast. The wait was long until April. The virus just made getting into State impossible with them only seeing emergencies. So my thought was a Friend's Wife another Vet.

Then Maria popped in my head so I sent her a text.

Here we are today. Yes, he is going to be on my mind. I know in my heart it is just a local thing. Hoping there aren't those tentacle like cells that will be missed. I am open to a few rounds of chemo to make sure it has been knocked the F out of his precious body!

Thank you Andrea! And thank the Lord for having Maria as a Person who cared enough for us to make this happen so quickly.

Last edited: