• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Return of the Baby Budgies

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Last winter I relented and gave a pair of my budgies a nesting box, in which three eggs hatched. They were great raising the babies, but I was quite happy when a friend asked if she could have all three. I immediately said yes, with the addendum that if for whatever reason it didn't work out, I would take them back.

Fast forward to September... And they're back. (A new resident pet apparently proved too great a threat to the birds.)

Any tips on successfully re-introducing the parents to their children?

I had the babies (now young adults) in quarantine a short while, and I have moved their temporary cage into the sun room with the parents. This morning I rolled the cage to be adjacent. There was great curiosity and tremendous chatter. I did not observe any aggression or hostility. IMG_5729.JPG

Not sure how to proceed from here. I don't want to rush it, but I'd like to get them living together sooner rather than later if possible.

And I know this makes an odd number (5), which can be tricky, but I don't have a solution for that.

The room is set up for free flight and I have enough extra branches and toys to switch out of the parents' cage to make it more neutral.

Tips for taking the reintroduction to the next step greatly appreciated!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you do put them together, you will need to watch them closely. Not all parents are receptive of having their offspring stay with them after weaning. Beyond that, most breeding pairs do not welcome additional birds in such a small area (the larger cage is a very nice size for a pair, but probably too small for a breeding pair and three adult offspring). You will need to put several food dishes, and several water dishes, around the cage so that the parents can not keep the offspring from eating and drinking. Since you said that the room is set up for them to fly around in, I would try reintroducing them outside of the cage, and see how that goes.

Flyover

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks, @expressmailtome - I am hoping this works out as I had not really anticipated a return.

I had four budgies in that cage until last winter, when, after living together for YEARS, a horrible fight erupted over a coconut house that had never before attracted any interest other than some nibbles on the rope it hung from.

So I had to move one pair out and left the others in and provided a nesting box for what I imagine will be a one-time only chance at procreation.

I am going to be gradual on this recombination attempt. If it is a total flop, I might try it with the other pair who live in a different room.

Ideally, I'd like them to find them a new home, but it has to be a good one, so I am not banking on that.

If I do get them into a shared cage, I will re-arrange the perches and toys, and maybe add some extra items to let them stay out of one another's line of sight part of the time.