• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued a Yellow Nape

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
I am so very sorry for your loss my heartfelt condolences
I apologize I’m new I hope my reply is correct and you receive it. I am very sorry for your loss my heartfelt condolences. I have been reading up on the pellets and didn’t know were to purchase them from I will check out your suggestion and order them ASAP.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been reading up on the pellets and didn’t know were to purchase them from I will check out your suggestion and order them ASAP.
Which country are you in? We may be able to suggest somewhere. Most people order online.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Which country are you in? We may be able to suggest somewhere. Most people order online.
Thank you I ordered the zupreem pellets I still will give him veggies afternoon snack, green pepper, sweet potatoe, carrots, apple, peach granola no sugar, applesauce plain hopefully after 14 years of wild bird seed he deserves. healthy food. Thank you again for your help.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Thank you I ordered the zupreem pellets I still will give him veggies afternoon snack, green pepper, sweet potatoe, carrots, apple, peach granola no sugar, applesauce plain hopefully after 14 years of wild bird seed he deserves. healthy food. Thank you again for your help.
I’m in USA I checked chewy and amazon chewy has different kinds I will still go to avian pet store for dehydrated fruits he likes to dip in the water first and get seed mixture for a treat. I’m looking for a homemade treat to reinforce good behavior, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’m in USA I checked chewy and amazon chewy has different kinds I will still go to avian pet store for dehydrated fruits he likes to dip in the water first and get seed mixture for a treat. I’m looking for a homemade treat to reinforce good behavior, any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Almond slivers. I get them from the baking aisle in our grocery stores. I keep my package in the refrigerator so it stays fresh.

MC loved baked organic sweet potato.

Remember to check the temperature of any cooked food. They're fragile and their crops can burn.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Try fresh beets. Archie goes nuts for them.

Just take one and steam (about 20 minutes, remove the stems and greens)...peel...cool...and cut into little chunks.

You can also feed him the stems and greens uncooked as a separate meal.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Your treat doesn’t have to be homemade. Do you think the bird knows the difference?

To “reward” a parrot for a trick or special behavior, a good treat is pine nuts. They’re tiny, and most birds like them. But...

My guy is NOT motivated by food rewards. He’s not a gluttonous pig like me and he simply doesn’t care about eating when we’re interacting. It’s the last thing on his mind.

Many birds however do respond to food motivation, and it makes training so much easier. I have to use verbal praise instead.

And if you had to listen to MY voice, you would much rather eat.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nutriberries are a winner for my Jardine's that was kept on all seeds for 19 years :)

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Try fresh beets. Archie goes nuts for them.

Just take one and steam (about 20 minutes, remove the stems and greens)...peel...cool...and cut into little chunks.

You can also feed him the stems and greens uncooked as a separate meal.
Lol I tried the beets he turned his heel to them but will keep trying. I got the zupreem pellets he ate some they say takes about 7-10 days to change his diet, after years of him being fed wild bird seed (I do not give him) I understand his frustration. He does eat sweet potatoes, green pepper, carrots and dehydrated fruits. I need him to eat the pellets though. Thank you for your help

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Lol I tried the beets he turned his heel to them but will keep trying. I got the zupreem pellets he ate some they say takes about 7-10 days to change his diet, after years of him being fed wild bird seed (I do not give him) I understand his frustration. He does eat sweet potatoes, green pepper, carrots and dehydrated fruits. I need him to eat the pellets though. Thank you for your help
My guy doesn’t like pellets either.

A few weeks ago, I tried Harrison’s, and I was thrilled when he gobbled them down the first day.

Since then...forget it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When I tried converting my two Amazons, I gave a little of two different kinds of pellets in their bowl.

Maybe that's why mine transitioned easier . . . .

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
My guy doesn’t like pellets either.

A few weeks ago, I tried Harrison’s, and I was thrilled when he gobbled them down the first day.

Since then...forget it.
He did eat the pellets twice today some in the morning and he tried a few in the mid afternoon, hopefully he will adjust as long as he gets his sweet potatoes and brown rice with apples on the side for dinner. He also gets a mix of greens I’m mad I bought some treats from the avian store and they are squares but crumbled the company has a full refund policy idk if they will make me try return there which he won’t take them back ugg. I’ve wasted so much money on toys as well. I purchased them from avian store and he should have told me they were for large birds. I saw tons of amazon boxes today there. I guess he buys there and doubles prices. Live and learn.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
He did eat the pellets twice today some in the morning and he tried a few in the mid afternoon, hopefully he will adjust as long as he gets his sweet potatoes and brown rice with apples on the side for dinner. He also gets a mix of greens I’m mad I bought some treats from the avian store and they are squares but crumbled the company has a full refund policy idk if they will make me try return there which he won’t take them back ugg. I’ve wasted so much money on toys as well. I purchased them from avian store and he should have told me they were for large birds. I saw tons of amazon boxes today there. I guess he buys there and doubles prices. Live and learn.
Yeah, in the beginning you’ll waste a lot of money on food they won’t eat. I tried every kind of pellet and he wouldn’t touch them, which is why I got so excited at first about the Harrison’s.

So for dry, my guy has been getting just Nutriberries, mostly the plain ones, almonds, walnuts and pistachios...no seed or peanuts. It’s far from ideal, but he doesn’t get a whole lot of it.

You see, you also gotta watch your guy’s weight. Amazons are prone to obesity, and YNAs are supposed to come in between around 480 to 680 grams. That’s a huge range, but mine has been steady at 460. (Which is why it’s important to have a scale and figure out how to get your bird to stay on there long enough.)

I expressed my concern to the vet, and he said he’s perfect, that the 480-680 is just a guide, and better to be light than obese. Also, since he’s such a good veggie eater, we’re cool.

But I don’t like him eating so many Nutriberries.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
They sell small bags of mixed baby broccoli and baby cauliflower, that you can freeze. You should try those:

I just take a handful, put them in a bowl with a little water, and microwave to steam...but he’ll eat them raw too.

Also try brussel sprouts like this.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can buy a kitchen scale that can weigh in grams. I had a small T stand made for my scale to make it easier for them to stand on.

It's VERY important to do that regularly and keep track to take that in to the vet appointments. Birds will hide their illness and you need to catch what's going on while the vet can still treat them.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
They sell small bags of mixed baby broccoli and baby cauliflower, that you can freeze. You should try those:

I just take a handful, put them in a bowl with a little water, and microwave to steam...but he’ll eat them raw too.

Also try brussel sprouts like this.
Oh I just got some Brussel sprouts he’s kind of spoiled he likes his sweet potatoes cooked with brown rice and quinoa and raw green pepper with apple slices on the side. Thank you for the help when he gets his nails beak and wings clipped he gets a weight as well he was on the heavier side from the place he was at, too many people giving him bad food pizza, French fries, lots of junk food. He’s doing better now today he ate some pellets for breakfast with grains mixed in. I’ve had him almost a month now. Thank you

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
Oh I just got some Brussel sprouts he’s kind of spoiled he likes his sweet potatoes cooked with brown rice and quinoa and raw green pepper with apple slices on the side. Thank you for the help when he gets his nails beak and wings clipped he gets a weight as well he was on the heavier side from the place he was at, too many people giving him bad food pizza, French fries, lots of junk food. He’s doing better now today he ate some pellets for breakfast with grains mixed in. I’ve had him almost a month now. Thank you
I try to never give him the same thing more than twice a week, so he doesn’t get bored. That being said, from time to time, he’ll love something...but on any particular day, it’s like no thank you.

”Italian again!?”

I don’t sweat it. If he’s hungry, he’ll eventually eat. And if your guy is on the pudgy side, I certainly wouldn’t worry if he’s not gulping down everything you give him. Loss of weight CAN indicate illness, but that wouldn’t be the case in your situation.

Your guy is really beautiful. Great plumage, especially considering the crap he’s been eating! He’s only going to look better and better.

Have you tried spray bottle showers yet? And was he/she definitively sexed?

I haven’t done the DNA sex testing yet, because he was only 9 months old when I brought him/her for a full vet workup and didn’t have the heart for them to quip his nail and give him that pain.

Ira

Real Name
Ira R.
I’m heading to Pet Supermarket now to replace his chew toys, get some Nutriberries, and buy God knows what else.

Newbies are skeptical that parrots are expensive to own...after all, they’re so much smaller than cats and dogs...but when you do the math...

I guess I drop about $150 a month on toys and food, when you count all the fruits and vegetables.

Not to mention vet bills:

A full workup, more or less, cost me $400 and change with my Avian vet, and that’s something I’ll be doing every year.