• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued a Yellow Nape

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Hi my name is Melvin I’ve been locked up in a high hooman traffic area in a sub acute/nursing home facility. I started biting people who ignored my sign “Do not put fingers in cage” I was then sent upstairs all alone. I met a hooman who took me under her wing (pun intended) she came to the sub acute for physical therapy rehab after she had surgery for 3 of 5 compression fractures. When my hooman inquired about my care they gave me away just like that no love loss there. I’ve been living with her now 3 weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for my healthy happy recovery? I did get my beak, nails and wings clipped on the way to my new home thank you

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Some information that would help us give you advice;
How old is the bird?
What was his diet at the acute care home?
How long was he there?
What do you know of his history?
Have you ever owned a parrot before?

Thank you for getting Melvin out of that bad situation.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Melvin and Annie!

As well as @Hankmacaw's questions, it would also help if you could tell us what Melvin's current set-up is: cage size, where it's located in the house, his diet, whether he bathes or not, how he seems to be with you (and other people). Are there any things you're worried about in particular?

I would get a vet check for Melvin as soon as possible - faecal tests, blood tests, the lot. In particular, I would want to know about his liver function; the combination of a potentially poor, seed-heavy diet and lack of exercise means that he may not be in good physical shape. A full medical exam at least helps you know what you're working with and means that you can prioritise things to work on.

Has Melvin been DNA tested as male? I personally like having a DNA sex test so again, I have more information about what to expect from the bird e.g. whether to be on the look out for nestiness and egg laying from hens, whether to expect cage protectiveness from males.

If at all possible, I would recommend not clipping his wings. Flying is by far the best exercise he can get, and will help keep his heart, respiratory system and mind healthy. This may be difficult if he's a particularly hot lad, but is certainly worth trying out.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Some information that would help us give you advice;
How old is the bird?
What was his diet at the acute care home?
How long was he there?
What do you know of his history?
Have you ever owned a parrot before?

Thank you for getting Melvin out of that bad situation.
Hi Melvin from what I was told he’s 20, they fed him wild bird seed no fresh veggies or fruit and had been there 14 years. I began spending time with him my second week there, I would order food for him to try. Unfortunately he was in an area employees would frequent the area give him unhealthy food I found French fries old banana so much. Took another 3 weeks for him to begin to trust. He has taken to my daughter she can pet him and goes on her arm. I think I’m losing him, I feed him his meals (sweet potatoes, carrots, brown rice, green peppers) I do need a few recipes for treats homemade is best. Thank you all for the

Reactions: Ali

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Photos please!

I have a YNA too.

How is s/he behaving at home now?
He is definitely happier here chattering away, he has learned new words loves when I sing to him. He still very jumpy any movement I talk in a very low voice. Did you receive the photos? I had a short video he loves yogurt just a small amount on the tip of the spoon which he holds himself.

Attachments

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Welcome Melvin and Annie!

As well as @Hankmacaw's questions, it would also help if you could tell us what Melvin's current set-up is: cage size, where it's located in the house, his diet, whether he bathes or not, how he seems to be with you (and other people). Are there any things you're worried about in particular?

I would get a vet check for Melvin as soon as possible - faecal tests, blood tests, the lot. In particular, I would want to know about his liver function; the combination of a potentially poor, seed-heavy diet and lack of exercise means that he may not be in good physical shape. A full medical exam at least helps you know what you're working with and means that you can prioritise things to work on.

Has Melvin been DNA tested as male? I personally like having a DNA sex test so again, I have more information about what to expect from the bird e.g. whether to be on the look out for nestiness and egg laying from hens, whether to expect cage protectiveness from males.

If at all possible, I would recommend not clipping his wings. Flying is by far the best exercise he can get, and will help keep his heart, respiratory system and mind healthy. This may be difficult if he's a particularly hot lad, but is certainly worth trying out.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Hi Melvin is about 20 I don’t think I trust much of what I was told as I was given different stories about him, the administrator was to get me info on vet and his visits. We have been home 3 weeks still hasn’t returned calls. He doesn’t like peanuts trying to find recipes for treats to reinforce his good behavior. He used to let me pet him but has attached to my daughter. His cage is very large I’m trying to purchase a new one with a play top. The cage now the bottom is in bad shape wheels work but can’t roll it as the top part is rusting away, he can’t get near the rust. We soaked the top part idk if was ever cleaned the crime was awful. I just used soap and hot water. The day we left went to avian store had beak nails wings trimmed, he didn’t like the bath, I gently spray him with warm water his feet are green getting cleaner.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
He is definitely happier here chattering away, he has learned new words loves when I sing to him. He still very jumpy any movement I talk in a very low voice. Did you receive the photos? I had a short video he loves yogurt just a small amount on the tip of the spoon which he holds himself.
He’s not a Yellow Nape.

He’s a Double Yellow Head!

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
He looks fantastic! That dry mix, though:

Not so sure about it.

And lay off the yogurt, or at least read up on it. Dairy isn’t good for them, but I’m not sure where yogurt stands.

Plus, peanuts? No.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking Melvin into your home.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's nice looking. I've no advice, but think he'll do great with you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A bird can have small amounts of yogurt, cottage cheese or hard yellow cheese now and then. Birds cannot digest lactose.

Peanuts are a no no, because they are full of saturated fats and are dangerous for aspergillosis and aflatoxins. There are so many good nuts that you should just avoid peanuts. Here is an article about asperillosis'
Aspergillosis in birds – Net Vet This is very personal to me, as my Jasper (female GW died just a month ago from aspergillosis.

The basis of your bird's diet should be a good pellet such as Harrison's or Roudybush. Here is a listing of pellets by our member @Mizzely - Pellets for Parrots

Your new baby is a beautiful Double Yellow Head Amazon (DYH).

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
He's beautiful. Thank you for helping him.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
He looks fantastic! That dry mix, though:

Not so sure about it.

And lay off the yogurt, or at least read up on it. Dairy isn’t good for them, but I’m not sure where yogurt stands.

Plus, peanuts? No.
He only gets a very small amount of yogurt he has lots of veggies and fruit slow process as he was fed wild bird seed for years. Yes dairy can cause weight gain, I found a recipe for treats I also purchase his grains and seed from avian store, his dehydrated fruit he dips in water. Yes your correct a double yellow amazon parrot

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Oh yes he does not like peanuts, I’m trying to get a proper cage with a play top. Melvin has a table top perch he loves spending time in the morning sun looking outside any helpful info always appreciated thank you

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
A bird can have small amounts of yogurt, cottage cheese or hard yellow cheese now and then. Birds cannot digest lactose.

Peanuts are a no no, because they are full of saturated fats and are dangerous for aspergillosis and aflatoxins. There are so many good nuts that you should just avoid peanuts. Here is an article about asperillosis'
Aspergillosis in birds – Net Vet This is very personal to me, as my Jasper (female GW died just a month ago from aspergillosis.

The basis of your bird's diet should be a good pellet such as Harrison's or Roudybush. Here is a listing of pellets by our member @Mizzely - Pellets for Parrots

Your new baby is a beautiful Double Yellow Head Amazon (DYH).
I am so very sorry for your loss my heartfelt condolences

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend a vet check as a priority. He sounds like he was on a very unsuitable diet and this will have affected his body.

If he's a picky eater, I would see if he'll eat pellets. ZuPreem and Roudybush are often accepted. They contain essential vitamins and minerals so you can be more confident that he's getting a balanced diet. Homemade diets can be very good, but you do need to be very careful about monitoring fats, protein and vitamins and minerals. They also don't contain vitamin D.