• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued a Yellow Nape

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Nah. Our feathered buddies don't like phones!

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Our rescued DYH Mickey was on a diet of sunflower seeds - that was it. We were able to quickly get to him an extremely healthy diet of quality bird food and human veggies and fruits.

How he used to sing for his super! He'd stand on the edge of his bowl and yell "HELLO??" and bury his head in his bowl for 45 minutes while he destroyed his food. A voracious appetite if here ever was one!

He looooved corn, meat, tomatoes, apples (there almost nothing he didn't like.)

He was a REAL sweetheart and the most grateful bird EVER!!!!

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
I try to never give him the same thing more than twice a week, so he doesn’t get bored. That being said, from time to time, he’ll love something...but on any particular day, it’s like no thank you.

”Italian again!?”

I don’t sweat it. If he’s hungry, he’ll eventually eat. And if your guy is on the pudgy side, I certainly wouldn’t worry if he’s not gulping down everything you give him. Loss of weight CAN indicate illness, but that wouldn’t be the case in your situation.

Your guy is really beautiful. Great plumage, especially considering the crap he’s been eating! He’s only going to look better and better.

Have you tried spray bottle showers yet? And was he/she definitively sexed?

I haven’t done the DNA sex testing yet, because he was only 9 months old when I brought him/her for a full vet workup and didn’t have the heart for them to quip his nail and give him that pain.
I think he’s getting tired of the sweet potatoes, I started carrots last week. Yes definitely on the pudgy side, I was giving him spritz of warm water his feet were caked with poop. I just purchased a bottle of feather cleaner with amino acids and aloe as he did not like a bath. I keep offering the pellets ate them for two days he looks at his bowl for seeds. Stubborn they said he was a male, still waiting for the info on what vet he went to will call again tomorrow, idk if they had him dna tested. The facility claimed him as pet therapy (tax write off) every year he had to have vet visit if that is the truth idk.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Our rescued DYH Mickey was on a diet of sunflower seeds - that was it. We were able to quickly get to him an extremely healthy diet of quality bird food and human veggies and fruits.

How he used to sing for his super! He'd stand on the edge of his bowl and yell "HELLO??" and bury his head in his bowl for 45 minutes while he destroyed his food. A voracious appetite if here ever was one!

He looooved corn, meat, tomatoes, apples (there almost nothing he didn't like.)

He was a REAL sweetheart and the most grateful bird EVER!!!!
They truly know love especially when they are given a second chance thank you for sharing his memories must have been adorable him eating and singing with his head in his food bowl. His way of showing his love for more than sunflower seeds. My guy had wild bird food 14 years, we’re trying new foods but he has a sweet beak (tooth) knowing you gave him a great life. How long was he in the awful situation and how long did you get to love on him?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I think he’s getting tired of the sweet potatoes, I started carrots last week. Yes definitely on the pudgy side, I was giving him spritz of warm water his feet were caked with poop. I just purchased a bottle of feather cleaner with amino acids and aloe as he did not like a bath. I keep offering the pellets ate them for two days he looks at his bowl for seeds. Stubborn they said he was a male, still waiting for the info on what vet he went to will call again tomorrow, idk if they had him dna tested. The facility claimed him as pet therapy (tax write off) every year he had to have vet visit if that is the truth idk.
Baths are individually tolerated too.

MC liked cool water spritzed from above GENTLY.

Secret likes water that is tepid and wants to bath like in a puddle. The bird has crawled in her water bowl.

I still spritz gently above Secret while the bird stands in a heavy crock bowl in the shower stall.

If you buy a spray bottle, be careful where you buy it and rinse it well. I seem to recall someone on here saying something bad happened because of water from a bottle.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Baths are individually tolerated too.

MC liked cool water spritzed from above GENTLY.

Secret likes water that is tepid and wants to bath like in a puddle. The bird has crawled in her water bowl.

I still spritz gently above Secret while the bird stands in a heavy crock bowl in the shower stall.

If you buy a spray bottle, be careful where you buy it and rinse it well. I seem to recall someone on here saying something bad happened because of water from a bottle.
Thank you on the water bottle I rinsed it, but going to put in dishwasher with the heat dry on as it’s usually off. I did with boiling water at first. Melvin has been through so much I don’t want him getting sick. Update my friend stopped by Melvin opened his tail and started listening and watching him ran down his perch right to him, (he was a little afraid he had African Gray) eventually he climbed up to his shoulder and his vocabulary was amazing sentences,singing and constantly listening and repeating. I guess he likes males better. He does talk to us my daughter and I can pet his head and neck. He definitely has a vocab doesn’t say much with us, hopefully in time he will trust us. I’m thinking he was treated badly by women were he was?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm still trying with Secret.

I can't imagine what that bird has lived through though.

I do, occasionally, get occasional closed eyes while I skritch her head. We're gaining ground!

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Hi how long have you had secret? I do think they know they are so smart, butpark there trust has been broken. Forgive me is Secret a rescue? I’m learning to navigate through here once I lost my response and found way back but responded 3 times. How old is Secret? I’m hoping we can still mend their huge (broken) hearts. Last night was another first a child came over I was told he likes children but lost faith in anything the facility told me. Melvin perked right up and I put him in the cage for safety reasons he followed the child eventually started to chatter away he even went to the bottom of his cage for a better look. His vocab is much larger than I knew, he doesn’t talk much with me or my daughter. He does let us pet him recently he goes on my daughters arm/shoulder. Oh he did step up with my (male) friend. I’m glad Secret is letting you know he trusts you each little bit so much love they have to give idk how anyone or place can be so cruel to these amazing beautiful creatures. Btw Melvin is a Double Yellow Amazon is Secret?

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Hi folks could someone help me? How do I read about a birdy profile I would like to follow and read up on some of the birds that are in my thread. Thank you for your help

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret is a Blue Front, wild caught Amazon. DNA male but we call Secret a her (thought the bird was female until test results back).

I joined the Avenue in 2012 after the two amazons moved in. I lurked here for a while before joining.

Secret was owned by my aunt. After she passed away, a cousin was taking care of the two amazons and we took them from unfavorable conditions.

MC and I developed a great relationship. He passed away from cancer on April 28 of this year.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At the top right is a search button (the magnifying glass). I'll post a screen shot from my phone.

Maybe try to put in the name of the bird and the name of the person posting.

Screenshot_20201011-234910_Samsung Internet.jpg

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
Secret is a Blue Front, wild caught Amazon. DNA male but we call Secret a her (thought the bird was female until test results back).

I joined the Avenue in 2012 after the two amazons moved in. I lurked here for a while before joining.

Secret was owned by my aunt. After she passed away, a cousin was taking care of the two amazons and we took them from unfavorable conditions.

MC and I developed a great relationship. He passed away from cancer on April 28 of this year.
My heartfelt condolences on your loss.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
Thank you on the water bottle I rinsed it, but going to put in dishwasher with the heat dry on as it’s usually off. I did with boiling water at first. Melvin has been through so much I don’t want him getting sick. Update my friend stopped by Melvin opened his tail and started listening and watching him ran down his perch right to him, (he was a little afraid he had African Gray) eventually he climbed up to his shoulder and his vocabulary was amazing sentences,singing and constantly listening and repeating. I guess he likes males better. He does talk to us my daughter and I can pet his head and neck. He definitely has a vocab doesn’t say much with us, hopefully in time he will trust us. I’m thinking he was treated badly by women were he was?
The bird’s preference for a man or woman is a mystery. There’s no explaining it. Some females hate women, others hate men...same thing for males. It COULD be based on past experiences, but this happens anyway.

I’m a guy, Archie loves me oodles, but he loves my wife oodles and then some. And loves ALL women, but not my sons. He certainly tolerates my grown sons...likes when they pay attention in his cage...but skeptical of going on the hand. Women? Archie will jump on any woman’s hand in a heartbeat.

And we still don’t know if Archie is a he or she.

But...

How did your guy’s water bottle shower go!? Archie freaking loves it, two or three times a week.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)
The bird’s preference for a man or woman is a mystery. There’s no explaining it. Some females hate women, others hate men...same thing for males. It COULD be based on past experiences, but this happens anyway.

I’m a guy, Archie loves me oodles, but he loves my wife oodles and then some. And loves ALL women, but not my sons. He certainly tolerates my grown sons...likes when they pay attention in his cage...but skeptical of going on the hand. Women? Archie will jump on any woman’s hand in a heartbeat.

But...

How did your guy’s water bottle shower go!? Archie freaking loves it, two or three times a week.
The first few times he was mad, now he opens up his wings. So sad how dirty he was his nails just a few we’re almost black, he looks so shiny and new :) and soft I did get him a new cage his was so crimey tried cleaning it but it’s broken and doesn’t wheel plus has a lot of rust on the top of the bottom part that the cage sits on. He can’t get to the rusty part the cage really is for a cockatoo. Hopefully he will adapt to the new one and I will put two of his new toys in it as he doesn’t play with any. I am a little frustrated with the avian store I’ve been going to, the owner and one of the employees are just rude. I purchased the cage and he had to order the bottom piece, my daughter went to pick it up and he charged her for it I paid for it. When I called the store employee said he was with customer long story short took my number. I called back 45 minutes later (was almost there) he said I was being argumentative meaning he was there he could have gotten on the phone and said no will refund no apology, they never say goodbye just hang up. He is the only one who clips beak wings and nails 10.00 each vet have to pay for office visit close to 200.00 I went to store the day I purchased cage 40-60 boxes from Amazon, he’s a small business but I get my food now from Amazon pellets. The toys I first got him are for cockatoo or macaws. Melvin was there he knew he was double yellow Amazon. I just checked my account I did get my money back. I don’t like rude people. Thank you for everything.

Melvin20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melvin (Annie)

But...

Melvin loves children as well my daughter friend moved back recently from Florida and brings her son over he’s 4 Melvin walks on the floor and follows him around lol. Amazing how smart they are birds I mean, with the men he tries to climb up to the shoulder. The child he just follows as he is low functioning not sure yet his full diagnosis on the autism spectrum and adhd possible. Melvin seems to know and is very good with him. My husband passed away, May 2012 if there is anything you need to talk about I’m a good listener, I’m not sure when you said your partner/wife passed away in April of this yea? I’m so very sorry for your loss