• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Rescue cockatiel

Soup14

Moving in
Real Name
Shorouk
Good evening! It’s quite late right now for me, Ive never used this website before but I already love it! This is urgent I really need everyone’s help! Today I went to pick up a female cockatiel from the same breeder I got my first cockatiel Coconut from, she seemed okay in the picture but when I got there she was in terrible condition. She has a very chewed up crest, apparently from the other cockatiels who have picked on her but that’s not the problem both of her feet are severely swollen one worst than the other which she lifts up most of the time and makes one of her wings droopy. It seems to be bumble foot to me. I can’t afford a vet visit right now but I just couldn’t leave her there. The person is at work almost all the time and their partner is completely clueless about birds and offered to put “vaseline” to try and heal it. They have so many birds and probably never take them to the vet. Ive heard this before but I really didn’t expect breeders to have such horrific set ups for the parents. The babies seem completely healthy. She is 8 months old and was handfed but never handled the reason why they put her with the other cockatiels was because she didn’t “like humans that much” so they picked on her. I’m in a really tight situation and extremely worried. I asked to take her in for 1 week and return her if she didn’t get better my parents said to leave it but I insisted on helping her. If you have any advice or experience with bumble foot please let me know I will get better pictures tomorrow morning also the swollen stuff are in the center of her feet not her toes it’s really weird and huge one is worst than other.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,

It is good of you to want to help, but this bird needs to see the vet.
Have you called the vet and asked about a payment plan? Explain the situation to them and see what they say.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I really think she needs to see a vet. Have you looked into CareCredit ? It's designed for emergency vet trips, etc and my understanding it there's no interest as long as you pay it off within a certain time.

Soup14

Moving in
Real Name
Shorouk
Good evening! We took her to the vet today shes doing great it turned out to be just swollen and seems like the birds in her cage were fighting for food. its not bumble foot yay! She got some painkillers and she should be good after they’re done. She’s very stressed and that’s mostly all. The vet also noticed that her wings have been clipped before which explains why she’s unable to fly properly. I could never tell they seem like they’ve grown back! They also clipped them very badly one side is straight and the other is diagonal apparently they also clipped her tail before that is horrible I will never return to that breeder again and glad I was able to save her! :loveshower:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So glad you found she does not have bumblefoot. And yes, definitely glad she was taken from those awful conditions - :welcome2: