• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Requesting some advice

SkyPie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicole
hi guys,

I have a 4-5 month old tiel that... well, I don’t think he has a medical problem, he just seems to suffer from being somewhat stupid.

I originally had him on Zupreem pellets but he had some weird looking poos so I switched him to Harrison’s high potency fine. Now, he loves them. I will mix it with seed and he throws out the seed and just eats the pellets. Yes, odd, I know.

He loves them so much, in fact, that he practically inhaled them and gets into trouble. He will eat so fast that he (I assume) gets them stuck, and he will bob his head up and down wildly. Sometimes he will bring up whole pellets, sometimes he won’t. Regardless he will just keep eating at the same pace anyway. I tried mixing them with seeds so that he would have to search for them and slow him down but he still finds them plenty quick. When I give him the pellets one at a time by hand he has no problems so I assume it’s just from eating way too fast.

I don’t want to change his diet because he really likes those pellets and I heard they were good quality... so I was thinking of changing sizes. I was not sure if I should go smaller (super fine, which I worry he will be bored with, he likes the cronch) or larger (coarse, which seems a bit big) so I was wondering if anyone had any experience like mine... Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

SkyPie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicole
Harrison fine.

upload_2018-4-24_20-19-25.jpeg
It’s the size recommended for tiels.

Also that looks like a good idea, thanks!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are dishes for dogs and cats that look like a maze. They slow down the eating. I would try one of those.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Have you tried feeding sprouted seeds?

Ideally, he should be eating 50/50 seeds to pellets with fresh foods as part of the diet. Too much pellets could potentially lead to kidney failure or gout.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
If he doesn't take to foraging toys, you can try crushing them for him.

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
Maybe try mixing in leaves with his pellets? Just tear up some lettuce and he'll have to search through the layers to find the pellets.

Or if you're worried about mold from the moisture, dry leaves like bay leaves might work.

KuraiKarasu

Moving in
Real Name
Ayesha Dewan
I've noticed with my tiels that larger sizes do make them eat slower (since they have to work more for a bite) but too large makes them lose interest. You could probably ask Harrison's for a sample of the pellets one size up and see if that helps. Alternatively, hiding the pellets around the cage and under pieces of paper might help too. Foraging toys are also a great idea!