• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recently Purchased/Rescued Some Budgies

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I’m new here, please let me know if I’m doing anything wrong.
I recently rehomed/rescued two budgies, Sam and Pippin. I’m fairly sure Pippin’s a male, but I’m not certain on Sam’s gender. If anyone could help identifying/confirming their genders that would be awesome.

We purchased them from Craigslist, but I sort of consider it be a rescue considering the condition their cage was in. They had one food dish with a cheap seed mix (which when we took them home was all husks on top), and a small water dish that hadn’t been changed in a few days. I don’t think the cage or it’s contents were ever cleaned.

I don’t think they’ve ever been to the vet (according to the previous owner they’re 5 months old), and considering the current climate it might be a bit of time before we can get them to the vet. They seem healthy, their cage had “bird litter” in the bottom so I can’t see earlier droppings, but I’ve put paper towels in and the recent ones look healthy. Hoping to see a vet as soon as possible.

Here they are! New cage that’s about ten times bigger is arriving on Friday, but until then I’ve given them a few toys and better perches. (They don’t touch the toys but they get a kick out of me jingling the bells):

1C57CA9D-8A8C-4648-90A6-8E0E243E1A43.jpeg E3E511F1-3617-44C8-9A5A-ED63E1D686E4.jpeg 834D7EF7-CEBA-4937-8C35-240DC5580476.jpeg ECF347ED-DE54-41A0-AA73-11C73045B750.jpeg

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Thank you for rescuing them from what sounds like horrid conditions. I am not an expert at all in determining gender but I can see the iris in the blue one which means that she is definitely older than 5 months. Yes I guess a she. The green one has moulted the forehead bars so is at least 5 months. I see pinkish blue in the cere..hard to tell. I would bow to the experts. They are adorable. @Budgiebonkers , @Ripshod , @Lady Jane, what say you? Also congrats on the new bigger cage. Introducing veg would be good but don't expect them to take to it right away.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its great that you rescued these two cuties. They both look female to me. How are they eating now? Any veggies?

Dorcas George

Hi Nimbus! :welave: Thank you for reaching sweet little Sam and Pippin. Wishing you the best as you all get used to each other.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
Hello and welcome!

They're both females out of breeding condition and older than the age suggested going off those eye rings

Beautiful birds :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Gorgeous birds! :swoon:

When I took in one of my birds, it took her a long time to show any interest in toys at all. I don´t know what her life was like before or if she ever had any but eventually they peeked her interest. Hopefully your little ones come around to playing with toys soon :)

Congratulations on bringing home the pair, I´m sure they will love their new cage! :loveshower:

Nimbus

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone! Looks like I’ve got some girls!
I did wonder if they were older than 5 months, but I’m not quite experienced enough to tell.
I’m hoping to try veggies soon but I have a feeling they’ll be pretty picky.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh goodness @Nimbus - your girls are just precious! I'm so glad you rescued them from their previous owners, they are lucky little gals. So you already obviously know that budgies hull their seeds and many times the dishes will look full but it's only empty hulls. I can't wait to see more photos and hear more updates on how these two little sweeties progress - and they are flying around the room (I think I read that in a different thread from you) - wow!!!
Yes, they are picky little things when it comes to eating what is good for them, but I have no doubt you'll have them eating their veggies soon if you keep offering. Took mine a while (not remembering exactly how long now) but they do now!