• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Random aggression

Chloejoyy

Checking out the neighborhood
Today my 10mo old cockatiel flew to me & attacked my face. He has never been aggressive towards me, he will show me when to back off by opening his beak and i respect that. I have no idea where this random aggression came from and need to put a stop to it immediately. He made my face bleed. I know he can be wary of my nail colors ( i just got them done) but ive had this pink color before and he was never scared of it . I took him out of his cage when i got home & he was scared of my hand for the first time since we got him, he wouldnt come near me and wouldnt accept any treats. He also just started to uhh hump things i guess you can say ? I would really love some advice on how to stop this biting & aggression. Thanks !

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
( i just got them done) but ive had this pink color before and he was never scared of it
Maybe he has changed his mind, not uncommon with a bird who is still maturing and learning what they do and don´t like.

Try caging your bird, and offer treats through the bars, see if he takes them. If that fails, maybe you could try a new manicure?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like your bird is going through puberty. He sounds frustrated and hormonal, so make sure his cage or play areas have no nesting sites which could encourage his aggressive behavior. Also make sure there are no mirrors in his cage and make sure he has plenty of foraging opportunities and gets plenty of excecise. How big is his cage? Just be patient with him and don’t get angry or force him to do anything. @Zara is right, sometimes birds likes change as they grow up. I probably would take the nail polish off and not get my nails done if it’s upsetting to my birds.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, to me it also sounds like he's hormonal/puberty. Make sure he's getting enough sleep, 10-12 hours. There are steps you can take to help reduce hormones when it's seasonal but if it's puberty, I think you just have to ride it out. And I would stop the colored nails for now too if that's what's upsetting him.

Chloejoyy

Checking out the neighborhood
Hes back to being his sweetheart cuddly self again ! I think he just had a moment, probably more to come since hormones & puberty but thats okay :) thankyou for your help everyone