• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions on Macaw breeding and homing

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It looks like a B&G pair and a hybrid pair of a GW with a harlequin; this pairing, if successful, will produce jubilee hybrids, I think. The yellow feathers on the supposed harlequin suggest a health issue: I've never seen a harlequin with any yellow feathers. They can indicate liver issues. The parents need a full vet check: blood panel, gram stain, cultures, etc. I would also find a vet who could scope them to make sure they're viable reproductively and papilloma-free.

You CAN NOT house all 4 birds together: most macaws are not colony breeders. How long are the flights? I hope they're long enough to allow flight. Obese birds won't breed. I also hope you provide toys: the idea that breeders don't need toys is an old myth. Breeding pairs in the wild play and still raise young when the season and resources permit.
You didn't mention any nuts in their diets. Macaws need the fat. My GW gets 2 pistachios, 10 pine nuts and four other nuts, different daily. I have walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, and Brazil nuts.

You mentioned that the previous owner sold babies out of the nest at 2 weeks, probably to pet stores. People here will be horrified by that, but a lot of those same people have birds from pet stores that were pulled at that age. That doesn't make him a monster. However, that's not the best practice. The best practice is to co-parent, if you have a relationship with the parents, or to leave them in the nest until 6 weeks or older, well after eyes are open. That way, they know they're birds. Abundance wean the babies and allow them to fly. Don't clip them!

Without knowing their history, it's hard to comment on the infertile clutch. Have they been sexed? A lot of people have ended up with a pair consisting of 2 females or 2 males. Maybe it's their first clutch, and they're inexperienced. Maybe they're not compatible. Based on an all-seed diet, I'd say they're not in breeding condition.

Just because they're a pair doesn't mean they have to breed. "Saving" them is laudable. They could be pets in the sense that you of caring for them, enjoying watching them, and providing a better life for them. They can enjoy each other's company and live the good life.

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
It looks like a B&G pair and a hybrid pair of a GW with a harlequin; this pairing, if successful, will produce jubilee hybrids, I think. The yellow feathers on the supposed harlequin suggest a health issue: I've never seen a harlequin with any yellow feathers. They can indicate liver issues. The parents need a full vet check: blood panel, gram stain, cultures, etc. I would also find a vet who could scope them to make sure they're viable reproductively and papilloma-free.

You CAN NOT house all 4 birds together: most macaws are not colony breeders. How long are the flights? I hope they're long enough to allow flight. Obese birds won't breed. I also hope you provide toys: the idea that breeders don't need toys is an old myth. Breeding pairs in the wild play and still raise young when the season and resources permit.
You didn't mention any nuts in their diets. Macaws need the fat. My GW gets 2 pistachios, 10 pine nuts and four other nuts, different daily. I have walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, and Brazil nuts.

You mentioned that the previous owner sold babies out of the nest at 2 weeks, probably to pet stores. People here will be horrified by that, but a lot of those same people have birds from pet stores that were pulled at that age. That doesn't make him a monster. However, that's not the best practice. The best practice is to co-parent, if you have a relationship with the parents, or to leave them in the nest until 6 weeks or older, well after eyes are open. That way, they know they're birds. Abundance wean the babies and allow them to fly. Don't clip them!

Without knowing their history, it's hard to comment on the infertile clutch. Have they been sexed? A lot of people have ended up with a pair consisting of 2 females or 2 males. Maybe it's their first clutch, and they're inexperienced. Maybe they're not compatible. Based on an all-seed diet, I'd say they're not in breeding condition.

Just because they're a pair doesn't mean they have to breed. "Saving" them is laudable. They could be pets in the sense that you of caring for them, enjoying watching them, and providing a better life for them. They can enjoy each other's company and live the good life.
Yes I’m currently feeding different nuts in their diet along with fresh chop and pallets specifically for breeder birds (Matzuri) brand
I will not house them together.
aviary being build is really big (way over 10x10) has a tree in the middle it’s great. Only one pair can be housed so the other I think I’m going to get another aviary for although much smaller it’ll be bigger than their current cage. Which is not big at all, it only has perches:(
Vet visit is pending until I can make an opening in their cage to actually get them (there’s an opening but it’s sealed) so it shouldn’t be too hard.
and yes I was definitely horrified by the breeders practices (I mean he suggested we rub vitamin e or some strange thing i don’t quite remember to make them more harmonal so they could breed quicker) that should tell you about it.
obviously there’s much room to improve but they’re already doing much better than they were before:)
And yes I agree on retiring them but In the case that they do have a successful clutch I would like to be prepared so that’s why I’m doing proper research:)
I appreciate all the suggestions!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m having a hard time comprehending what you mean when you say that you can’t get them out if their cage as it’s sealed.

Can you explain this some more?

I’m concerned that if there’s a health or safety issue (eg: fire, other natural disasters needing fast evacuation, a bird injury, illness, egg binding, or even a simple perch change needed etc) you will be unable to access these birds before it’s too late for them.

How are they sealed into their cage if they were recently transported to your home?

Beakz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Melisa
I’m having a hard time comprehending what you mean when you say that you can’t get them out if their cage as it’s sealed.

Can you explain this some more?

I’m concerned that if there’s a health or safety issue (eg: fire, other natural disasters needing fast evacuation, a bird injury, illness, egg binding, or even a simple perch change needed etc) you will be unable to access these birds before it’s too late for them.

How are they sealed into their cage if they were recently transported to your home?
They were transported in the same cage they always have been in (we got u-haul) it looks like there was an opening but it was sealed with wire? Like the “door” it had has wire clips all over it, that’s why I’m saying it shouldn’t be too hard. So hopefully this week I can get it open( the cages their in now is temporary)
The cages are maybe 4 feet wide and 6 feet long and maybe 3 or 4 feet high (this is not exact just my guess)