• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Question about bonding

n a d i a

Moving in
Real Name
Nadia Stelzig
Hi everyone, I'm new here & I don't exactly know how everything works but hopefully this post will work because I really need your help. I recently adopted two baby conures & the minute they saw each other, it seems like they fell in love. I'm really glad & happy they bonded, but I'm really scared they won't bond to me now:( Right now, they're still scared of me, because it's only been a week for Ella and three days with my other little baby, who still doesn't have a name, because I don't know the gender yet.. Do you guys think they will still bond to me? I would love to know your opinions & experiences..

Thank you so much in advance to everyone who will reply.
-Nadia

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can still bond, and it will be a healthier bond. Birds that mate/pair bond with humans are generally less happy and prone to more behavior issues.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Just keep working with them and please do not split them up. Accept that they will have a relationship with each other and that you will have a different relationship with them. It's so good that your parrots have each other.

Good luck.

n a d i a

Moving in
Real Name
Nadia Stelzig
You can still bond, and it will be a healthier bond. Birds that mate/pair bond with humans are generally less happy and prone to more behavior issues.
Oh that makes me so happy! And that’s good to know! Thank you for taking the time to respond! I appreciate it so much

n a d i a

Moving in
Real Name
Nadia Stelzig
Just keep working with them and please do not split them up. Accept that they will have a relationship with each other and that you will have a different relationship with them. It's so good that your parrots have each other.

Good luck.
I will and I promise I won’t split them up I knew I was taking a risk when I adopted my second baby so I have no choice to accept it.. yes I’m very glad they have each other❤

Thank you:)

n a d i a

Moving in
Real Name
Nadia Stelzig

Good luck.
Hi:) so I put my babies in the same cage last night & they seem very happy. The only problem is that Ella won’t come to me like she used to:( I feel really sad & discouraged.. I had a bond with Ella & now it seems gone.. I worked so hard & now I don’t know what to do.. do you have tricks for me to bond with both? & when you said “different relationship”, what did you mean?:(

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
Hi everyone, I'm new here & I don't exactly know how everything works but hopefully this post will work because I really need your help. I recently adopted two baby conures & the minute they saw each other, it seems like they fell in love. I'm really glad & happy they bonded, but I'm really scared they won't bond to me now:( Right now, they're still scared of me, because it's only been a week for Ella and three days with my other little baby, who still doesn't have a name, because I don't know the gender yet.. Do you guys think they will still bond to me? I would love to know your opinions & experiences..

Thank you so much in advance to everyone who will reply.
-Nadia
Not sure how conures work. I am planning on getting a green cheek this coming year, but I promised myself I will never get 2 birds of one kind again. Not that I think it's bad or anything, just not what I want in a pet. Sounds selfish I know, but after I bought my second budgie I regretted it almost immediately, because my bond started to fade with each day until he finally just ignored me completely lol then he died 5 months later and I had to get the other guy a buddy because he was all depressed. Long story short it's been going on 2 years now and they are very happy together and very fun to watch, feed and clean up after but that's about it. I work with them everyday and they will jump on my finger and eat millet, but that has taken the entire time I've had them (2 years) lol.

My first budgie Peso was happy as crap with me, wouldn't leave my side, and talked a mile a minute lol oh well that's how it goes I guess.

Hope you have a lot of time, and patience on your hands. I wish you the best of luck!

P.S. I love my budgies to death, just wouldn't do it again, if that make sense?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Third wheel is the life for me. These two are nigh inseparable,

But I still have a positive and trusting relationship with both.

A bird wants a constant companion, which is a role human lives can rarely accommodate. I'd rather have two birds who ignore me 80% of the time than a single bird who sees me as their whole world and is lonely and sad when I am away.

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
Third wheel is the life for me. These two are nigh inseparable,

But I still have a positive and trusting relationship with both.

A bird wants a constant companion, which is a role human lives can rarely accommodate. I'd rather have two birds who ignore me 80% of the time than a single bird who sees me as their whole world and is lonely and sad when I am away.
That's 2 different species. I said 2 of the same, they will bond stronger. Yours look like good buddies. If they act like that I am all for it lol

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
I never said I didn't want more than one parrot, just not a pair of the same kind. 2 budgies, 2 cockatiels, 2 green cheeks are a no go for me, but mix and match all day long. I want them to have a buddy lord knows I can't be there all the time lol

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
Hi:) so I put my babies in the same cage last night & they seem very happy. The only problem is that Ella won’t come to me like she used to:( I feel really sad & discouraged.. I had a bond with Ella & now it seems gone.. I worked so hard & now I don’t know what to do.. do you have tricks for me to bond with both? & when you said “different relationship”, what did you mean?:(
Same cage ewwww....... that's what I mean. Different as in non existent. Hopefully they will come around or at least tolerate you. Did they come from the same place? Did you quarantin?

Feather

Avenue Veteran
That's 2 different species. I said 2 of the same, they will bond stronger. Yours look like good buddies. If they act like that I am all for it lol
They're not buddies, they're bonded mates. Different species they may be, but I assure you they are as close to and defensive of each other as any same-species pair.

Last edited:

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
They're not buddies, they're bonded mates. Different species they may be, but I assure you they are as close to and defensive of each other as any same-species pair.
I ain't gonna argue with you, other than my 2 budgies that were pretty wild at the pet store, and your Meyers and what ever the other is, is like comparing apples to oranges. I am sure my one experience isn't worth forming a permanent opinion on this subject, but people get frustrated all right lol

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I ain't gonna argue with you, other than my 2 budgies that were pretty wild at the pet store, and your Meyers and what ever the other is, is like comparing apples to oranges. I am sure my one experience isn't worth forming a permanent opinion on this subject, but people get frustrated all right lol
She's not a meyers, she's a red-bellied parrot. He's a maximilian pionus. My bonded cockatiel pair I had up until very recently? I also had a stellar relationship with both of them. I've maintained a relationship with bonded lovebirds and yes, even budgies.

I'm not some new kid on the block. You're giving out false information that relationships with a bonded pair cannot be maintained and perpetuating a harmful myth that dooms a lot of birds to a very lonely existence based on a singular experience. If your budgies were already wild, then no wonder they didn't bond to you. And you're the one who brought up budgies on a thread about conures.

The trick is to create trust with each bird separately, ideally before they meet each other.

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
She's not a meyers, she's a red-bellied parrot. He's a maximilian pionus. My bonded cockatiel pair I had up until very recently? I also had a stellar relationship with both of them. I've maintained a relationship with bonded lovebirds and yes, even budgies.

I'm not some new kid on the block. You're giving out false information that relationships with a bonded pair cannot be maintained and perpetuating a harmful myth that dooms a lot of birds to a very lonely existence based on a singular experience. If your budgies were already wild, then no wonder they didn't bond to you. And you're the one who brought up budgies on a thread about conures.

The trick is to create trust with each bird separately, ideally before they meet each other.
So why don't you try helping instead of bashing. Dropping the microphone now.........

Feather

Avenue Veteran
So why don't you try helping instead of bashing. Dropping the microphone now.........
Please explain how any of what I said was bashing. You are also invited to put me on ignore if you cannot handle anyone ever correcting you.

@Itsnxdia_
My recommendation to you is what I stated above. Separate the birds for now, into different rooms. Work on developing a bond with BOTH birds individually before you re-introduce them. I always recommend doing this before they meet, and that it's ideal during the quarantine period, but as that ship has already sailed we can only work with what we have and hope for the best. They've only known each other for a few days so it won't be all that traumatic for them to be divided for the time being.

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
Y
Please explain how any of what I said was bashing. You are also invited to put me on ignore if you cannot handle anyone ever correcting you.

@Itsnxdia_
My recommendation to you is what I stated above. Separate the birds for now, into different rooms. Work on developing a bond with BOTH birds individually before you re-introduce them. I always recommend doing this before they meet, and that it's ideal during the quarantine period, but as that ship has already sailed we can only work with what we have and hope for the best. They've only known each other for a few days so it won't be all that traumatic for them to be divided for the time being.
You got the wrong person my birds have been together for over a year now. You are referring to the author of the post. Look I now you know what you are doing but new people like me are probably experiencing things that you experienced when you were new. I love parrots and regular birds as well sorry.........

Feather

Avenue Veteran
You got the wrong person my birds have been together for over a year now. You are referring to the author of the post. Look I now you know what you are doing but new people like me are probably experiencing things that you experienced when you were new. I love parrots and regular birds as well sorry.........
I pinged who I meant to. I wasn't talking to you for that second part. I was talking to OP.

BudgieBird81

Strolling the yard
I got my second budgie because of someone like you. And then said to myself, you fool. Never again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In some countries it's illegal or very frowned upon to keep birds without a same/similar species friend.

I adopt older birds so it can be harder to find them a same species friend. If I were going to get babies again it would ONLY be if I could get two of the same species at the same time.