• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker foot problem

Petiebird1

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! Our 29 year old Quaker suddenly has a limp foot and the other one seems to becoming more limp. We are worried he had a stroke. Has anyone seen this?

Attachments

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
Do you have a vet who can see him? I hope he's alright. :sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear. That doesn’t look good at all does it :(
Hopefully some other members will be able to offer some immediate home help till you can get him to the vet but in the meantime I can’t help but wonder if you’ve checked to make sure there’s nothing caught around his leg like a string or long piece of hair. I can’t get a good look at your pic without making it blurry but it looks a little red and swollen?

Petiebird1

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you! It does look red in the picture but it's not in person. We've been massaging it and it doesn't appear to hurt him he still his sassy self but I feel so bad.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hello! Our 29 year old Quaker suddenly has a limp foot and the other one seems to becoming more limp. We are worried he had a stroke. Has anyone seen this?
By looking at the picture it's not easy to say it's from a stroke without actually observing the bird in say a video perhaps. There are many things that can cause this in the feet. And yes stroke could, but it's usually short lived. The bird will eventually regain its muscle tone after the stroke settled down. And note I said " usually". However you mentioned it came on suddenly, so yea, perhaps it did have one. This is a medical emergency. Medication is needed and will be prescribed by vet. Because if it was a stroke, they'll keep coming and is no fun to bird.
What comes to mind to me looking at It is Gout and
is not actually a primary bone or muscle disorder, but it is a disease that can cause severe pain in the joints and muscles of birds. The cause of gout is the abnormal deposition and accumulation of uric acid crystals in the body, often in the joints or feet. Walking and perching will often be so painful that the bird will rest on the bottom of the cage or on any available flat surface in its environment. The bird will move only when it must and may vocalize if it must walk or move.
The only other two issues that could come to mind is Sarcocystosis, which is a disease caused by microscopic parasites. It is the cause of death in many parrots housed in outdoor cages in the southern United States. The parasites invade soft tissues, including the lungs, kidneys and muscles.
Last but not least nutrition or severe lack of, can cause
these conditions.
It is important to recognize signs of illness promptly in sick birds so that appropriate care can be given. Signs may be subtle, so it is important to notice even slight changes in appetite, behavior, posture, etc. Due to their relatively small size and rapid metabolism, birds can become severely ill very quickly, and delays in treatment can lessen the chance of recovery.

These are supportive measures and do not address the cause of illness or its treatment. Your veterinarian must diagnose and prescribe specific treatment for your bird.

• Heat: Keeping your sick bird in a slightly warmer environment than usual may help it conserve the energy it usually uses to keep its body temperature normal. However, be careful not to overheat the bird. (Panting and spreading the wings are signs of overheating.)
  • Humidity: Raising the level of humidity can be helpful for birds with respiratory disease or signs of illness. Higher humidity eases the breathing and helps the bird keep the air passages clear and moist. A vaporizer or humidifier can be used to provide extra humidity.
  • Fluids: A sick bird can become dehydrated easily, because it may not drink as much as it normally does. In many cases a veterinarian may administer fluids under the skin, and follow-up oral fluids can be helpful. Favorite foods high in moisture content (leafy greens, fruit) will add to water intake, but check with your veterinarian first to make sure they will not worsen your bird’s illness. Adding a bit of juice (of your bird’s favorite fruit, like apple or grape) to the water will often encourage drinking.
  • Nutrition: Inadequate nutrition will severely impact the bird’s ability to recover from the illness. The best foods to give a sick bird are high in simple carbohydrates and easy to digest. Ask your veterinarian for appropriate suggestions.
  • Quiet/Level of Activity: Keep an ill or injured bird quiet and inactive. Remove toys from the cage and limit noisy activities or move the bird to a quiet part of the house. Make sure that your bird gets adequate (10 to 12 hours) uninterrupted sleep.

Good luck!!! And please see a vet at your earliest convenience! It's crucial in saving your bird in case it was and could be a stroke.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
It's been 29 years and no he's for a vet! I'm going to see if our dogs vet can see him. Thank you for asking
It's best if you can find an avian vet. If you can give us an idea of where you are, someone may be able point you towards a vet.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Did the bird ever get to a qualified vet?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's been 29 years and no he's for a vet! I'm going to see if our dogs vet can see him. Thank you for asking
If your dog vet doesn't see birds, then it may be a good idea to ask your dog vet if they know of any vets that treat birds. Bloodwork would be beneficial to see how he's doing, internally. X-rays and others may be recommended as well.