• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Puberty/Hormonal Behavior?

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Hello again everyone~

I've noticed that my female budgie is acting more aggressive than usual and doesn't want to interact with us. She also doesn't play with her toys as much as she used to. She seems to get annoyed by our male budgie more easily and sometimes even guards food from him. Could this be puberty? Should I separate them?

I am not sure how old she is exactly, I just know she is young. I have had her since mid July but she still hasn't lost her baby stripes, which seems strange to me. She had a vet visit not too long ago and is the picture of health. Eats and poops well.

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
Hm... Might be hormones. Watch her cere to see if it changes color. I'd recommend separating the two, at least for a little while, to see if that helps. And for the safety of the male. Our of cage time together should be fine, but keep an eye on them.
I'm guessing she's between three and four months old. She should start molting soon.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
I figured she was due to start molting soon, but it seems she's reaching puberty too fast.. I'll try keeping them separated except for play time!

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Yes moulting can make them a bit crankier. She also sounds like she is beginning to assert herself. Little hens as they get older do tend to dominate the males. They are in charge..lol.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Yes moulting can make them a bit crankier. She also sounds like she is beginning to assert herself. Little hens as they get older do tend to dominate the males. They are in charge..lol.
She definitely isn't afraid to show everyone who's boss! The problem is Lemon is so submissive by nature and because he's still new, she's the only thing he's not scared of. He wasn't eating too well before he met her, but now she sometimes guards food from him :(
Do you think it would be okay to put them in two cages next to each other? So they can interact but not fight?

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
She definitely isn't afraid to show everyone who's boss! The problem is Lemon is so submissive by nature and because he's still new, she's the only thing he's not scared of. He wasn't eating too well before he met her, but now she sometimes guards food from him :(
Do you think it would be okay to put them in two cages next to each other? So they can interact but not fight?
I suggested sperating them so that they can't hurt each other. Next to each other should be fine, (watch them to make sure they don't get too stressed by either being separated or by still being close together) but make sure they can't get at each other through the bars.
I hope they start doing better! I hope your female calms down again so they can stay together.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
Yes that is best to start. Separate cages and monitor when they are out. They will likely sort it out in time but for now keep them separate.

asdf6121

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone for your replies!! I hear this is the time of year when birds get hormonal so I'm definitely keeping a close eye :)