• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Prudences has been injured :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Prudence is (and always has been) obsessed with the ground level cupboard under our sink. I dont know why....but if I ever have it open while puttering around in the kitchen she is constantly trying to get into it, onto it, etc.

Today, I repeatedly moved her from sitting on the top of the cupboard door. She repeatedly returned time after time, and then the accident happened.
She was perched in the door of the cupboard, and the dog walked by, knocking the cupboard closed. Pru clearly didnt have time to fly away before he foot was closed in the cupboard. :eek:

She screamed, and I actualy had to pull the door open again for her foot to become free. Where the cupboard meets the counter both finishes are rounded wood, so nothing was severed, Thank God. But her foot was pinched between the two pieces of wood, and a small amount of skin was scraped off on her front big toe.

Immediatly I tried to see if she would use that foot. She keeps tucking it up under her, cause it probably hurts. But I was able to get her to step up with that foot first, and also hold a whole (in the shell) Almond to eat and she was able to do that. But she is choosing not to use that leg when possible.
She's also chewing at it alot, which concerns me.

I also notice that when she does step up with that foot, she doesnt have much grip with it......

After dinner Im gonna see if I can get some Cayanne Pepper paste on it. I just dont wanna stress her out, I feel so bad.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am so sorry Kim, I think the fact that she is using it some is a good sign

I am moving this to the 911 section where I think you will get more help :hug2:

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:
Don't feel bad. It was an accident. I hope she feels better soon:heart:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh sorry this had to happen..poor girlie...yes, take a really good look at it if you can...and if you have to, a vet visit might be in order..poor girlie. :hug8:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Thanks. I didnt put it there as I didnt feel it was an Emergency, but I appreciate your conern. I just wondered if there was anything I could do to help promote quicker healing....also I just needed to offload my feelings of guilt :o: Thanks in Advance all.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
Oh no! I hope she feels better soon. I accidentally closed Sam's foot in the bathroom door one time :( He likes to perch up there when we take a shower. I made sure nothing was broken and he did use them but he also chewed at his foot and kept it up. I think it's just something they do so I wouldn't be overly concerned. Only if she continues to do it and make it worse would I be concerned.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I agree with the cayenne pepper but also see if she will eat some of the paste also...this will help with the pain inside her ....I would keep her warm and in a smaller cage to watch her for the next couple of days...even if you have a tank and using a wash cloth for a soft perch....this will help her keep her warm and not using the leg to much to let it heal...just some ideas...I'm sure she is in some shock from the pain of the door being shut on the leg...let us know how she is doing....

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
The chewing at it sounds to me like pain - hopefully it will ease soon and she'll be back to normal. I wouldn't make her use the foot at all as birds will push through pain to look normal, so they're not prey, and using it will only make it hurt while it needs rest to recover.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope she feels better soon :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Awww poor girl. That must have hurt something awful. I hope she's feeling better soon.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Right, I wont make her use it anymore, I justed to make sure it wasnt broken! I dont see any visible swelling yet either, so that calms me a little.

BF - could I just sprinkle Cayanne in her dinner as apposed to getting her to eat the paste directly? Either way, I'll try to get her to eat it. I imagine she will ingest some when she chews the foot like she has been.....

I just have to figure out how to get it on the foot......I need a better holder than hubby, LOL I work at a vet clinic, but I hate taking her there...risk of disease..and I work a 12 hour graveyard there tonight, and I dont wanna make her stay away from home for that long if not necessary when she is feeling under the weather. I will move her to a hospital cage for the night, have hubby watch her, and maybe in the AM I can return home for her to take her in for a look by a Dr friend.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would have immediately put her foot in cool water to keep the swelling down. If she is still chewing on it tomorrow, I would get her to the vet for an xray and also pain meds. Don't minimize it, she could do some serious damage to her foot if she's in pain. There are all kinds of incidences where they have chewed their own toes off.

Ginger

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Yes Ginger, that was right away a concern for me! (I think I mentioned that fear in my original post). Im gonna have to keep a close eye on her....no swelling yet though thank goodness. i really want to avoid Xrays if at all possible as its super stressful for them but Im gonna mull the idea over for the next hour or so. I leave for work to the clinic in a bit, and if Im super worried I will take her with me...poor baby! She is perching with both feet in her cage right now, behaving normally, other than a quick chew on the foot every few mins.

Deej

Real Name
Deena
Short and sweet so you get all the good advice before you have to leave: Hugs to you and Prudence. Feel better soon beautiful girl.:hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Right, I wont make her use it anymore, I justed to make sure it wasnt broken! I dont see any visible swelling yet either, so that calms me a little.

BF - could I just sprinkle Cayanne in her dinner as apposed to getting her to eat the paste directly? Either way, I'll try to get her to eat it. I imagine she will ingest some when she chews the foot like she has been.....

I just have to figure out how to get it on the foot......I need a better holder than hubby, LOL I work at a vet clinic, but I hate taking her there...risk of disease..and I work a 12 hour graveyard there tonight, and I dont wanna make her stay away from home for that long if not necessary when she is feeling under the weather. I will move her to a hospital cage for the night, have hubby watch her, and maybe in the AM I can return home for her to take her in for a look by a Dr friend.
I sprinkle Cayenne pepper on cooked pasta and all of our birds love it. You might try that.

Last edited:

Blackford

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tyne
That does not sound good. Honestly, If she is chewing the foot that often she is in alot of pain. I would not leave her alone as I believe there is a huge chance she will chew the toe off (I have direct experience with this and IRNS)

I dont mean to alarm you :hug8: But im sure being a vet nurse you know all that can potentially go wrong.

I would take her to work with me and get some pain meds into her.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
FYI
Be careful of sprinkling Cayenne on things, my vet has said it can do more damage then good if they inhale it, it will burn their lungs.
Put it in wets, away from the birds.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I just have to figure out how to get it on the foot......I need a better holder than hubby,...
I'm so sorry she is hurt, Kim. Will she let you towel her so you can get the cayenne on her foot? :sadhug2:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I hope She is OK:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.