• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proper cage size/dimensions for a Green Cheek Conure?

Cosmic

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I am new to the forum and new to bird care. I have a 1-year-old Green Cheek Conure.

What is the proper cage size/dimensions for a green cheek conure so she may live a long, happy, healthy life? The current cage my Green Cheek is housed in is 24 in. x 16 in. x 16 in. (L x W x H). Any other advice I should be aware of?

Any specific links/websites would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Circling

Walking the driveway
Real Name
John
Cosmic, welcome!

Be sure to read the continuing thread, titled: Ideas for GCC Cage in the Toys and Cages Bypass part of this site. There's quite a few ideas in there.

I chose the A & E Flight Cage (32x21x35 - cage size). It ships with a stand that makes about 62" high w/ cage connected, and has plenty of room for my Green Cheek Conure plus toys!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ali

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Everyone will have a slightly different answer on cage minimum requirements, but I think they would all agree that the more space the better. I would say aim for at least a length of 24-36", a width of 24", and a height of 24-30" with 5/8" bar spacing.

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
I would also like to recommend the Midwest Critter Nation double high cage for a green cheek. That's what I use for mine. The interior dimensions are 36"W x 26"D x 48"H with half inch bar spacing. I love that the bars are horizontal, it makes toy/perch customization and climbing a lot easier. In addition, the doors open very wide making cleaning and rearranging simple. You can buy them new off of Amazon for I think around $250-300, but I got mine used for only $150. They are super sturdy and easy to move as they break down completely as well.

All I did to make mine bird-ready was not install the shelves and ziptie the middle grate panel about 4 inches above the bottom so poop could fall through. Works perfectly and I always recommend it for the size, quality, and price.
This is from another gcc thread....:budgie2:

Reactions: Ali

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like this site because it gives you average wingspans. A cage should be at least 1.5x the species' average wingspan to allow the bird to stretch without hitting the sides: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

GCCs have an average wingspan of 15.5", so the smallest cage you should get is 24x24". Bigger is better :) The larger the cage, the more scope you have for toys, perches, foraging and other enrichment.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Echoing everyone, bigger is better. IMO, the cage you currently have is a bit too small, something I would use for a sleep cage rather than a full time one, especially for a playful green cheek. The good news is that good sized cages are not too hard to find and many won't cost you more than a few hundred bucks. It is pretty easy in most parts of the US at least to find flight cages on Craigslist very cheap. Just be sure to ask for the measurements (including bar spacing), brand, and the material if you can. Also ask what bird used it before, why they are getting rid of it, and if there has been any exposure to environmental toxins (smoke, cleaning supplies, etc.)

I would say like everyone else that 24"x24" with 1/2-5/8" bar spacing is a bare minimum. My cage is 36"x24" though, and I even want to upgrade her to a bigger one in the future. Honestly, it's really hard for us to accommodate a parrot's need for space in captivity, considering how they behave in the wild. An aviary is my ultimate goal for her.

Reactions: tka