• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your cage set-ups!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

ems08

Walking the driveway
While not precisely about his cage, I recently redid the organization in Riley's room and I thought this might be the right place to share! (If not please delete and I can post elsewhere).
riley_cage.jpg
His cage has always been in the corner, but I had a taller table under the window with a tiny dresser next to it. It really blocked the window and food bits and feathers were always going down the AC vent that's in the floor under the window. The trunk was where the new dresser is now and had his larger travel cage on it, which was fun for playing on but made it hard to get in the trunk. And meant cleaning 2 cages daily! All of his stuff was overflowing the tiny dresser and I had to sit and look at it while trying to work, since the other half of this room is my office.

To make space for the new dresser I got rid of the table and the small dresser and put feet on the trunk! That let me put a vent redirect (like you use under a couch) to direct the air from the vent out to the front of the trunk. It also means way less stuff will get into the HVAC system. Plus it's a much better height for the window-- definitely a win all around. Most of the trunk is storage for my office stuff but half is his emergency travel cage. His other travel cage is behind the dresser.

On to the fun part, at least for an organization geek like me:
Drawer #1 of the dresser has the paper for the floor/ the bottom of his cage.
Drawer #2 has all his dry food-- about half is nutriberries and the other half pellets.
Drawer #3 is a first aid kit and extra bowls, perches, etc-- all the functional cage parts
Drawer #4 has complete toys-- both ones I've premade and store bought. I have some bins in there and eventually I want to divide the toys by type-- shredder, noisy etc-- but right now just the foot toys are in their own bin. Which is mostly empty because the foot toys mostly end up spread all over the house lol.
Drawer #5 has parts all organized and ready to go! It makes it really easy to throw together a toy because I can stand there and use the dresser top and have everything at my finger tips.
Drawer #6 has small cardboard boxes and other foraging materials (shredded paper, etc)

My office feels so much less chaotic now and I love it! I just need to work on the perching areas to make them more enticing. Riley pretty much only sits on any of his perches if I put him there and then play with him. Otherwise he flies right back to me and wants to do whatever I'm doing >.< adorable but a challenging working environment sometimes! We have an acre+ of woods in the back so I'm planning to replace all the main dowels with tree branches and add more to make it more interesting -- just need to 100% confidently identify the species and figure out the design.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Tika and Amanda's humble abode. :)
Wow! That's huge!! One or two things I'd be concerned about, however, are the cotton toys, they can chew off and swallow loose threads and eventually need crop surgery from getting a crop impaction. Also the happy hut in the corner, those are also dangerous! The 'cotton' toys I'm looking at might be sisal, I'm not sure. But I advise you to check on that if it is cotton! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wow! That's huge!! One or two things I'd be concerned about, however, are the cotton toys, they can chew off and swallow loose threads and eventually need crop surgery from getting a crop impaction. Also the happy hut in the corner, those are also dangerous! The 'cotton' toys I'm looking at might be sisal, I'm not sure. But I advise you to check on that if it is cotton! :)
Lol. Those pictures are 15 years old. Things have evolved. :D

To your point. There are two kinds of cotton. Open ended fiber and closed fiber. At the time those cotton ropes were purchased from Supreme cotton rope. It's is a bird safe rope with those open fibres. I haven't purchased any cotton rope in many years. I don't even know if it is still available. I prefer hemp rope for the big black wire cutters. I mean beaks. :)

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Lol. Those pictures are 15 years old. Things have evolved. :D

To your point. There are two kinds of cotton. Open ended fiber and closed fiber. At the time those cotton ropes were purchased from Supreme cotton rope. It's is a bird safe rope with those open fibres. I haven't purchased any cotton rope in many years. I don't even know if it is still available. I prefer hemp rope for the big black wire cutters. I mean beaks. :)
Ah! i see! I didnt know those types actually existed, thanks for the info! :D

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
@Spearmint did you post your cage set-up over here? I'd love to see it! :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Not yet! I will soon, though. Just need to figure out how to send files to my computer, its rather old and doesn't work too well.
I actually find posting pictures to be much easier from my phone, maybe you might also find it simple enough to post them from a phone?

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I actually find posting pictures to be much easier from my phone, maybe you might also find it simple enough to post them from a phone?
Cant believe this didn't cross my mind. I'll get some photos as soon as his cage has been tidied up!

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
My workaround for posting pictures from my phone.
Take picture w/phone.
Send to my email address.
Download photo to files.

It just works for me. :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My workaround for posting pictures from my phone.
Take picture w/phone.
Send to my email address.
Download photo to files.

It just works for me. :)
You should be able to click the “attach files” button and attach the photos straight from your phones photo library- less steps and fuss.

Chelsip

Meeting neighbors
Here's the current setup for my cockatiel! He's got a flight cage and a play stand that stay in our bedroom. PXL_20220219_184955514.MP.jpg PXL_20220222_011848229.jpg

nikytuky94

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Nicole
Here are the Cali's an Paulie's cages setup until now and tomorrow I will change the disposition of the perches but I need some helps.
No ideas on how to shift them, it'll be a very hard and long afternoon :roflmao:

273707726_24194578030133294_520207820478420983_n.jpg
273725531_24194578326799931_4156621150484707319_n.jpg

nikytuky94

Real Name
Nicole
Ok! So this weekend I coverd the wall and the floor of the little bathroom I have near the foyer, and this is what I did

20220226_170308.jpg
20220226_170328.jpg
20220226_170410.jpg

I already change a bit the setup of the cages, but didn't do any pics unfortunately. I will remedy this evening

ems08

Walking the driveway
We have an acre+ of woods in the back so I'm planning to replace all the main dowels with tree branches and add more to make it more interesting -- just need to 100% confidently identify the species and figure out the design.
I wanted to update after remaking the perches this weekend! Riley is not too sure yet but he's getting more adventurous about it by the hour!
20220228_175958.jpg
All of the perches are from the woods on my property which had been untouched since the 90s before we bought it in 2019-- most are from a fresh cut american beech sapling, one is from a kudzu vine. Everything I've read indicates kudzu is non toxic but if anyone has info to the contrary please let me know asap.

Washed all of it with hot water + dawn and a stiff scrub brush and then baked at 250 F for 40 minutes. Stainless steel screws in stategic places to hold it together and stainless eye hooks on the bottoms of some branches to hang the toys from! My mom thinks it's too many toys on there/overwhelming, I'm not sure there's enough. Opinions? Riley hasn't expressed a clear preference yet!

nikytuky94

Real Name
Nicole
As anticipated, here the new setup for my little friend Calì and Paulie

This is Calì's cage
cali1.jpg
cali2.jpg
cali3.jpg

And this is Paulie's cage
paulie1.jpg
paulie2.jpg
paulie3.jpg

I think that the setup is not so good but I really don't know how to place the perches.
What you think about? Any advice?
Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
As anticipated, here the new setup for my little friend Calì and Paulie

This is Calì's cage
View attachment 403719
View attachment 403720
View attachment 403721

And this is Paulie's cage
View attachment 403722
View attachment 403723
View attachment 403724

I think that the setup is not so good but I really don't know how to place the perches.
What you think about? Any advice?
Many thanks in advance
I think it's really nice, very natural looking! Maybe just put in a few more toys.