• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your cage set-ups!

KeetQueen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah Stark
Hi fellow bird people! Here is my setup for two budgies and a soon-to-arrive green cheek conure! :heart: The cage on the left is for the conure and is an A&E flight cage. The cage on the right is for my budgies and is a Prevue Pet Products flight cage. Please feel welcome to give your suggestions or ideas for the setup :) IMG_20220711_093713205.jpg

BirdyBee

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anè(she/her)
Hi fellow bird people! Here is my setup for two budgies and a soon-to-arrive green cheek conure! :heart: The cage on the left is for the conure and is an A&E flight cage. The cage on the right is for my budgies and is a Prevue Pet Products flight cage. Please feel welcome to give your suggestions or ideas for the setup :) View attachment 410050
Looks good to me!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You can get acrylic sheets cheap, and I found some pre cut in exact size to fit top of cage.at home improvement store .Putting one on top of your soon to be conure cage will help prevent gcc from biting off a budgie toe.
Plus uts clear let's light in and easy to clean.

When budgie are out and land on top of a caged green checks cage its too tempted to bite.

KeetQueen

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Hannah Stark
You can get acrylic sheets cheap, and I found some pre cut in exact size to fit top of cage.at home improvement store .Putting one on top of your soon to be conure cage will help prevent gcc from biting off a budgie toe.
Plus uts clear let's light in and easy to clean.

When budgie are out and land on top of a caged green checks cage its too tempted to bite.
That is very good to know, thank you. Hopefully my conure won’t be too aggressive though :fingerscrossed:

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hi fellow bird people! Here is my setup for two budgies and a soon-to-arrive green cheek conure! :heart: The cage on the left is for the conure and is an A&E flight cage. The cage on the right is for my budgies and is a Prevue Pet Products flight cage. Please feel welcome to give your suggestions or ideas for the setup :) View attachment 410050
Looks great! Do you have a different setup for quarantine though?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
That is very good to know, thank you. Hopefully my conure won’t be too aggressive though :fingerscrossed:
When a parrot is in their cage and another parrot climbs on it, there is a big risk. I learned the hard way, as my gcc did bite off a budgie toe. :( while out of the cage she is friends with them.

Just wanted to share a heads up, so you guys don't suffer.

Looking forward to pictures of your new one.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I wanted to talk about my current budgies' setup because they are loving their toys right now.
IMG_20220728_115728121.jpg

Just bought that cork ball yesterday. Attached some millet so they would approach it. It's more of a larger bird toy, but I want them to try cork and Parker might like climbing on it. They have 7 perches. Two concrete, but they hardly use them. They love the big middle perch that stretches across the cage.

They love their seagrass mat. The pineapple is perfect for foraging, when I am going out I just stuff it with millet and they go to town. The boys love beating up the colorful toy behind the pineapple. They don't care for the paper toy.

Below is a picture of their favorite toy. Tiny bells on chains. They play with this toy all the time. Parker likes to climb on it, bang it on the cage, and flap on it. He also tried holding the bells with his foot. Mark loves booping the bells.
I try to keep a couple favorite toys in, but still have a variety.
IMG_20220728_115737804.jpg

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I wanted to talk about my current budgies' setup because they are loving their toys right now.
View attachment 411064

Just bought that cork ball yesterday. Attached some millet so they would approach it. It's more of a larger bird toy, but I want them to try cork and Parker might like climbing on it. They have 7 perches. Two concrete, but they hardly use them. They love the big middle perch that stretches across the cage.

They love their seagrass mat. The pineapple is perfect for foraging, when I am going out I just stuff it with millet and they go to town. The boys love beating up the colorful toy behind the pineapple. They don't care for the paper toy.

Below is a picture of their favorite toy. Tiny bells on chains. They play with this toy all the time. Parker likes to climb on it, bang it on the cage, and flap on it. He also tried holding the bells with his foot. Mark loves booping the bells.
View attachment 411065

Looks lovely!
However something im a little worried about is that rubber toy. Your budgies might manage to ingest some rubber and choke / cause a crop impaction. Also, the pumice perches can be quite rough on birds soft feet, so it's best to stick to natural perches and maybe just 1 pumice perch near the bottom of the cage. :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Looks lovely!
However something im a little worried about is that rubber toy. Your budgies might manage to ingest some rubber and choke / cause a crop impaction. Also, the pumice perches can be quite rough on birds soft feet, so it's best to stick to natural perches and maybe just 1 pumice perch near the bottom of the cage. :)
The little red ball? My little boys are not big chewers, I don't think they even could chew a piece off, and they have never tried. They just touch the paper a little and play with the bell, and I've had this toy since I got Mark. Where did you read that about rubber? I have never heard that. I know fabrics/strings can cause impactions, and in special cases where a bird ingests materials that aren't edible?

Those perches have smooth tops where the pad of their feet are. I haven't had any issues as long as they have other perches and don't use them much. How about I put both at the bottom? I am just trying to prevent clipping Parker's nails. His grow long.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I must be blind lol- I can’t see any rubber toy even with my glasses on :bored:

If they’re the safety pumice perches and your birds don’t sit on them all the time then they should be fine where they are.

I’d be more concerned about the length of time they might spend on the dowel (if it’s a lot then I’d move it to a lower spot).

Do me a favour to ease my mind please…. double check how easy (or difficult hopefully) the long chains with bells on them can tangle- I only mention the chains because Burt recently had a toy with a very long chain on it that would have been so easily turned into a serious hanging hazard if he had of been left alone with it. Each bird plays and behaves with toys differently to others so your long chains may be completely fine for how your birds play. :)

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I must be blind lol- I can’t see any rubber toy even with my glasses on :bored:

If they’re the safety pumice perches and your birds don’t sit on them all the time then they should be fine where they are.

I’d be more concerned about the length of time they might spend on the dowel (if it’s a lot then I’d move it to a lower spot).

Do me a favour to ease my mind please…. double check how easy (or difficult hopefully) the long chains with bells on them can tangle- I only mention the chains because Burt recently had a toy with a very long chain on it that would have been so easily turned into a serious hanging hazard if he had of been left alone with it. Each bird plays and behaves with toys differently to others so your long chains may be completely fine for how your birds play. :)
Thank you for commenting, my thoughts exactly.

Here's a picture of the red rubber ball toy. It stays on a stand, typically on top of the cage like the pic. What dowel? I don't have any.
IMG_20220801_174535767.jpg
I will check:)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for commenting, my thoughts exactly.

Here's a picture of the red rubber ball toy. It stays on a stand, typically on top of the cage like the pic. What dowel? I don't have any.
View attachment 411243
I will check:)
Ohhh it’s a holey roller toy I think they’re called. I can just see it in the original pic now that I know it’s there lol.
The perch up high near the bells looks like a dowel until I zoom right in and notice it’s just a very straight non dowel perch :laugh: Sorry about that mix up!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Ohhh it’s a holey roller toy I think they’re called. I can just see it in the original pic now that I know it’s there lol.
The perch up high near the bells looks like a dowel until I zoom right in and notice it’s just a very straight non dowel perch :laugh: Sorry about that mix up!
You're good. I should've taken more better pictures. And I plan on making one or two more perches soon.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Those perches have smooth tops where the pad of their feet are. I haven't had any issues as long as they have other perches and don't use them much. How about I put both at the bottom? I am just trying to prevent clipping Parker's nails. His grow long.
I have not had to clip any nails since putting flagstone perches next to all food dishes, it's been fantastic. Gentler on the feet than the pumice perches and very effective.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I have not had to clip any nails since putting flagstone perches next to all food dishes, it's been fantastic. Gentler on the feet than the pumice perches and very effective.
I will have to get one or two!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
The little red ball? My little boys are not big chewers, I don't think they even could chew a piece off, and they have never tried. They just touch the paper a little and play with the bell, and I've had this toy since I got Mark. Where did you read that about rubber? I have never heard that. I know fabrics/strings can cause impactions, and in special cases where a bird ingests materials that aren't edible?

My bad! I did not mean impaction, I was meant to say they might choke on it, but you know your birds better than me :lol:so trust what you know.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
View attachment 411064

View attachment 411065
FYI I thought this was the rubber toy 1659579054253.png

NEVRM0RE_

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaila
So many people have such gorgeous and functional set ups!!!! I have MAJOR cage envy. Interior decorating has never been my....forte (also for the record my dream aesthetic is - the addams family or like...the house from casper w christina ricci. Beetlejuice!!!!!!!) Anyway, here is Lady B and Mordecai's home. I change it around... a lot. Lol

Attachments