• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Popo and Izi, the Parrotlets

Tabracadabra

Meeting neighbors
Hello all,

I’ve had budgies before, but it was 25 years ago and the very height of sophisticated bird care was finding room in the tiny cage for the inevitable mirror, although that might have been because I was a kid with limited access to information and had to depend on the pet store for all my info. Those pre-internet days were like a whole different world...

Our family has recently acquired a bonded, proven pair of unrelated parrotlets. It is a rescue situation; the male is healthy overall and relatively normal. The female is a plucker and underweight. I’ve been researching nonstop since we got them a week ago.

Going to attempt to transition them to Harrison’s pellets and Volkman’s Parrotlet seed mix. So far, they won’t touch anything but millet and the mix the previous owners had them on, which is for finches.

It’s pretty obvious from how they move around the cage that they’re unfamiliar with toys, rope perches, floors that aren’t grates, or bath time, but we’re working on it. They have an appt with a CAV later this week.
3706022A-CCE8-477E-90E4-772E1D7E1E79.jpeg 15A64BA7-AE4A-4DCB-8656-E354BB45E816.jpeg
The top pic is the male, who we’re calling Popo. The bottom is the female, who we’re calling Iztacci (Izi).

Popo has spookily gray eyes! I expected them to be dark.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Popo, and Izi...and thank you for rescuing them! :)

Ah yes, the "the good (bad) old days"...thank goodness we've come so far from them...;)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very cute birds!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
They're so cute - pretty! Love their unique names too! :welcomeavenue:

Tabracadabra

Meeting neighbors
They're so cute - pretty! Love their unique names too! :welcomeavenue:
Thanks! The names are from a Mexican legend about lovers that explained the origin of two volcanos. Our new little feathered friends are very passionate about each other, plus I’m pretty certain they’d completely cover me in lava given the chance, so it all added up lol.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Welcome!! Thank you for taking in Popo and Izi. I love the story about their names. Sounds like you on the right track and they are in excellent hands.

I wish you well with getting them on a better diet. Harrison's pellets have a great reputation but I have heard from some members here that have try switching their birds on to them with no luck. So if you don't have success with Harrison's don't be afraid to try a different brand. One of our members @Mizzely has great info on different pellets :)

I look forward to getting to know Popo and Izi better. Best of luck with the vet appointment. And I hope you enjoy your time here :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Welcome!

Yes, there are sooo many pellets out there and often the one we want them to adopt is not the one they go for :lol: Here is a list I made up complete with some information (dyes, sugars, fortified, etc) Pellets for Parrots | Lil Monsters Bird Toys

One thing you can try that has worked well with my newly rescued Jardines with the Harrison's mash moistened with baby food and mixed with seeds.

Who are you going to for the vet? I go to Dr. Ritzman in Grand Rapids. 1.5 hour drive each way but worth it! She truly loves birds.

Tabracadabra

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much for all the tips everybody, please feel free to keep them coming!

So far they LOVE the Volkman’s Parrotlet seed mix, and it’s hard to blame them. It smells amazing. The Harrison pellets, they’re not as enthusiastic about, but they are picking at them. I made them sort of a parfait so they had to pick through the Harrison’s to get to the seeds. So far, so good! They’re such adaptable little critters. They’ve had so much change thrown at them the last couple weeks.

One thing you can try that has worked well with my newly rescued Jardines with the Harrison's mash moistened with baby food and mixed with seeds.
That is an amazing tip, thank you!

Who are you going to for the vet? I go to Dr. Ritzman in Grand Rapids. 1.5 hour drive each way but worth it! She truly loves birds.
My closest CAV is in Toledo, so I thought I’d try them first, Dr Orosz at the Bird and Exotic Wellness Center. Grand Rapids was my backup! I’m in the Ann Arbor area, so it’s about two hours away for me, which is doable.

I moved them from their temporary cage into their permanent cage last night and they’re the most active I’ve seen them. They got a gentle misting with warm water and then spent some time under their new light preening and basking. I’ll do some pics later.

Anyone have any ideas for what to do with all these dowel perches? I thought I’d twine wrap a few of them or try to build a jungle gym or something, and at least one of them is going to get turned into hanging paper towel dispenser on the side of the cage.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes Dr. O is awesome!

You can wrap them with vet wrap too. I've also drilled holes in the ends and suspended them from the ceiling as swings before

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:hello1:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator