• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Plucking or Preening + Molting

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Noticed just today my boy has been preening and itching with his foot more than usual, and taking feathers out. Its mostly downy feathers and the occasional top feathers/tail feather. He's not pulling hard or anything, but its more feathers than I used to seeing him preen out, and he has no pin feathers either.

He doesn't seem bored, as he plays with his toys lots and spends lot of time out of the cage. Doesn't seem to do it for attention either, as he'll do it when he doesn't even see me. His feathers look normal and clean, too. Diet normal as well. He's a been bit quiter for a few days.
Here's a video of him preening

I know I may be overconcerned, but I've just been anxious since his mate passed about a month ago.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Really difficult to know...even with you sharing a video which is awesome!

He spent a lot of time at the preen gland with out moving on . Might be nothing at all. Might be the gland is a little clogged or irritated..

Diet and lack of vitamin A found in veggies or pellets can lead to preen gland issues. Big if , that there is even an issue.

Does he eat veggies? Leafy greens?

Does he take baths?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
If diet is good.
Then watch for any baldness at thst spot. It redness or swelling They do use preen gland to treat feathers rub head in it and will take preen juice and rub on feet to. So it's normal to mess with that area .

Just watch if he only focuses there without going on to preen feathers

Last edited:

LiefDuivel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callum Rivoire
Thank you so much for your reply! Hes a very stubborn and picky bird, we've tried adjusting his diet over the past few years - still refuses to eat pellets, even if its the only food in the cage.

Rught now he eats seeds, oats, quinoa, lentils, a mix of veggies (broccoli, sweet potato, turnip, carrots) and some leafy greens (lettuce and spinach).

We got him as a re-home and has some trauma with water so sometimes baths aren't as thorough as I'd like. When he preens, he focuses on the preening gland for a bit, then preens other spots like under the wing and his chest feathers and tail. He's been fluffing and shaking his tail feathers out and itching with his foot so I'm hoping its just an uncomfortable molt - this would be his first since his mate passed.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Diet is fine if eats veggies.
Sounds like normal preening then.
So just eat h for sny other development.